Flat Season 2020

Interesting market for the Criterion tomorrow.

It's a race to get stuck into as Limato is opposable on age grounds. IMO Happy Power's run behind Space Blues and Safe Voyage lto is the best recent form on offer and whilst he's 5s at 365, 10/1 is freely available elsewhere.

GL,Euro - though it's hard to see where the pace is coming from. Frankie may well nick it from the front, but not something I'd bet on.

So. What happens with racing at Leicester on Tuesday now they’ve locked the city down again? Really it shouldn’t go ahead (potential for locals to be there as staff?) but I wonder if the BHA have clocked it?

This weekend looks very good. As long as most stand their ground I would say Sunday's Sandown card is better than Epsom's on Saturday.

This weekend looks very good. As long as most stand their ground I would say Sunday's Sandown card is better than Epsom's on Saturday.

Indeed. I have scanned the races and Sunday looks a great card to dissect. Will the improving filly from last season (Hereby) run in the Lancashire Oaks?

It must make grim reading for some of the saddos in the lounge who stubbornly refuse to have a bet on horse racing haha.

They are probably still rueing Straw Bear getting beat by Noland in the supreme novices hurdle over a decade ago.... :)

Last edited:
Having good racing in the UK on a Sunday is the way forward. Too often it's the worst days racing of the week.

Having good racing in the UK on a Sunday is the way forward. Too often it's the worst days racing of the week.

Totally agree. I even had a letter about it printed in the Raceform Update when Sunday racing first started, arguing that it needed to be classy stuff to work properly.

Then again, I was also advocating no racing on Mondays, except Bank Holidays, in which case the Tuesday should be a day off, to give stable staff a break.

Totally agree. I even had a letter about it printed in the Raceform Update when Sunday racing first started, arguing that it needed to be classy stuff to work properly.

Then again, I was also advocating no racing on Mondays, except Bank Holidays, in which case the Tuesday should be a day off, to give stable staff a break.

They should have heeded your advice

Seems that the BHA are rightly getting flak after allowing Leicester to go ahead with several trainers withdrawing horses on principal including Alan King. The racecourse is situated in Oadby which is one of the worst affected areas.

Only 4 stalls handlers have turned up so all starts are flip starts.

This could be a PR gaff by the BHA again. How can they think racing should go ahead in a locked down area?

Last edited:
Former NZ eventing legend Sir Mark Todd has just saddled his first winner as a trainer tonight at Leicester.

Seems that the BHA are rightly getting flak after allowing Leicester to go ahead with several trainers withdrawing horses on principal including Alan King. The racecourse is situated in Oadby which is one of the worst affected areas.

Only 4 stalls handlers have turned up so all starts are flip starts.

This could be a PR gaff by the BHA again. How can they think racing should go ahead in a locked down area?

Didn't see a problem with it myself

Racing resumed on 1st June when effectively the whole country was still in lockdown

Leicester staged a meeting on June 13th which was 2 days before restrictions were lifted on the 15th

Racing has proved all around the world it can continue safely through this pandemic imo

I'm with Truncheon here. As ever, this pathetic government consulted no-one locally in a timely fashion but even they didn't expect the schools to close until Thursday.

You can't underestimate an unexposed horse who has progressed through the ranks into Group 3 company. This has been my message for the last few months. Later today So Suave and Confidence High both fit the profile in the Group 3 at Leopardstown. The former is trained by Johnny Murtagh and is priced at 6/1. The latter is 20/1. Let's see if they can compete at the higher level.

Last edited:
You can't underestimate an unexposed horse who has progressed through the ranks into Group 3 company. This has been my message for the last few months. Later today So Suave and Confidence High both fit the profile in the Group 3 at Leopardstown. The former is trained by Johnny Murtagh and is priced at 6/1. The latter is 20/1. Let's see if they can compete at the higher level.

Big run from Confidence high mate at a nice price well done. I just read somewhere that you landed a nice double earlier in the week Marb so a belated congrats and good to see you doing alright.

Exceptionally good filly especially as race panned out so strangely. FD ought to have been second I felt but nothing was going to trouble the winner.

Back