Forum horse connections

Raptor owned by some very good friends runs at Yarmouth tonight - he's come out of his maiden hurdle race fine - a few in the race on the up and Raptor would definitely prefer cut in the ground - should run his usual honest race and loves the course - so I wish the horse and all conected the best.

Congratulations to Bonfire Night - well done!!

Songsheet's and my ICEMAN - BARRANTES 2 y.o. filly, now owned by Keith and Daphne Finch, trained by John Bridger, should debut in around 3 weeks' time. She's been working solidly at home and they will start her at 'an easy course'. Can't wait to see her - last time I did, she was just a very inquisitive, rather bossy yearling.

Raptor owned by some very good friends runs at Yarmouth tonight - he's come out of his maiden hurdle race fine - a few in the race on the up and Raptor would definitely prefer cut in the ground - should run his usual honest race and loves the course - so I wish the horse and all conected the best.

Congratulations to Bonfire Night - well done!!

been following raptor for longer than I dare to remember and am convinced he is a sprinter, as simple as that, and really really really does not get anything like 10f or so in a horsebox.

thans re bonfire!

been following raptor for longer than I dare to remember and am convinced he is a sprinter, as simple as that, and really really really does not get anything like 10f or so in a horsebox.

thans re bonfire!

Raptor must have g/soft or soft ground and a fast pace - so ideally 1m in big fields and he will gallop relentlessy at one pace while others are slowing - he doesn't have a turn of foot or any gear changes for sprinting, he'll last 10f on an easy track - he had a maiden outing over hurdles and has been popping them quite well at home but kicked a few out the ground on his first attempt but again he wouldn't have enjoyed the fast going but should improve over them when they get some cut.

I'm not sure that any horse which is one-paced at 1m and has no finishing kick to him will win at that or even 1m 2f - horses are being ridden ever more ze French way now, with a finishing burst expected - unless the animal's a true front runner and can take 6 lengths off the field from the start and keep it there, which is the best chance for a one-pacer to have to win.

I'm not sure that any horse which is one-paced at 1m and has no finishing kick to him will win at that or even 1m 2f - horses are being ridden ever more ze French way now, with a finishing burst expected - unless the animal's a true front runner and can take 6 lengths off the field from the start and keep it there, which is the best chance for a one-pacer to have to win.

I'm sure your right - I'm only relaying what the owners tell me and certainly have no expertise on the subject - I can only presume his one pace is a good pace - I know they always dread a slow run race because they say he doesn't have the gears if it turns into a sprint finish.

Oh, hey, no argument with you, SC, just that it's quite difficult these days for a 'good, solid' galloper when there are more horses being ridden rather like the French races - a modest pace throughout followed by a turbo-boost sprint to the line. That's why if they're 'relentless' it's best for that run style if they're not unhappy leading the herd well out front, hoping to just gallop the wind out of most of them. But some don't have herd-leading instincts, some have 'take over the herd' instincts, preferring to see the herd leader begin to weaken, and then dominate the pack. That type's suited to the blast down to the line, loving passing 'weak' horses and taking up herd dominance. Certainly wish your friend's horse all the best, but it's quite tricky these days with a one-paced miler! I'm afraid the RP analysis was a bit rude about his Yarmouth run - "plodded on same pace" and lost 3rd in the final furlong. Ah, well...

Bit of a post script to FAREER's strange run at Ascot: I asked Tadgh O'Shea at Lingfield today what it was all about - that Songsheet had been told he was going to be ridden from back o' the herd to the front. No, said Tadgh, he'd ridden exactly to orders - bang him out early and make a good gallop. But he did say that the instructions were 'up to' Sheikh Hamdan... :whistle:

Last edited:
Certainly no offence was taken Krizon - In fact quite the opposite - I find the threads on here fascinating, not only are they constructive but also very intelligent and well thought out. For someone like myself who has a thirst for knowledge of the sport and many hours to kill on my night shifts, this site is feeding that hunger. :)

Mmmmm, 'thirst for knowledge - feeding that hunger' there's something not quite right in that sentence.

Last edited:
With a title like 'Swedish Chef' - I think food and drink are entirely appropriate, SC! You're right about the forum, though - were it not for Talking Horses springing into swift action when Ch.4 closed its racing chat down overnight, most of us would be adrift or confined to very much betting-only sites, which aren't my thing. This is a super site in that it encompasses a huge amount of racing/horse experience, from the very beginnings with breeders as members, through to the polished product with owners, and some very betting-wise members who work in that industry. I know I've learned - and continue to learn - from it all the time.

We do also get into a bit of heated opinion mud-wrestling from time to time, but the outcome is usually resolved with a couple of virtual beers or, in my case, a large G&T!

Bit of a post script to FAREER's strange run at Ascot: I asked Tadgh O'Shea at Lingfield today what it was all about - that Songsheet had been told he was going to be ridden from back o' the herd to the front. No, said Tadgh, he'd ridden exactly to orders - bang him out early and make a good gallop. But he did say that the instructions were 'up to' Sheikh Hamdan... :whistle:

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest Kri - I'd imagine he was being used as a pacemaker for Ouqba.

He tends to come from off the pace and setting up a decent gallop would help him, I'd have thought, and he was the fancied Maktoum runner. Anyway can we now put to bed silly talk about jockeys disobeying riding instructions from people who cannot possibly have known those instructions, please?

With a title like 'Swedish Chef' - I think food and drink are entirely appropriate, SC! You're right about the forum, though - were it not for Talking Horses springing into swift action when Ch.4 closed its racing chat down overnight, most of us would be adrift or confined to very much betting-only sites, which aren't my thing. This is a super site in that it encompasses a huge amount of racing/horse experience, from the very beginnings with breeders as members, through to the polished product with owners, and some very betting-wise members who work in that industry. I know I've learned - and continue to learn - from it all the time.

We do also get into a bit of heated opinion mud-wrestling from time to time, but the outcome is usually resolved with a couple of virtual beers or, in my case, a large G&T!

The title Swedish Chef was given to me by the London County darts team. I along with Peter the Chaplain and the Goodwin brothers arranged sponsorship and a new venue for the team a few years ago. On their first home match I did the cooking for them (being an ex-chef) for free. This involved feeding upwards of 300 people on each day over a weekend. So for all my hard work and industry I was awarded the nickname Swedish Chef, basically they thought I was a muppet!! :D

Trudi and I are probably two of several ladeeze on here who would be very grateful for anything a bloke cooked for us, ever! Cooking for over 300? Crikey, I once helped a chef friend out by chopping up the ingredients for tabbouleh for 200, and was knackered after that, so you get the Best In Show rosette from me.

He tends to come from off the pace and setting up a decent gallop would help him, I'd have thought, and he was the fancied Maktoum runner.

I have him down as a 7f horse who needs a soft pace to get 8f at a high level - as in the Lockinge, where I think he was flattered.

(Bit off topic now, apologies).

He tends to come from off the pace and setting up a decent gallop would help him, I'd have thought, and he was the fancied Maktoum runner. Anyway can we now put to bed silly talk about jockeys disobeying riding instructions from people who cannot possibly have known those instructions, please?

The same racing style description also applies to FAREER, SL - I would have thought with your pretensions to be a trainer, you would recognise that.

The instructions for the proposed ride for FAREER were given to my co-breeder directly by Ed Dunlop last Thursday, so it's not unreasonable to believe the trainer's thoughts on the subject - or are you saying Ed was making it up ?

Love to hear your views if one of your owners changed your instructions to the jockey......

Shadow Leader is now a member of the NTF? Ber-limey! News doesn't spread fast at all - I'd no idea. One minute it's Gib and VC, next minute it's 5.00 a.m. starts and 48-hour decs. Will look out for the runners with much interest. Not training for Ascot Ladies Racing Club, are you, Shadz?

Strangely enough, Kri, that's because it's not true - I'm afraid it's just Songsheet making up rubbish and grasping at straws in a pitiful attempt to score points and make petty digs.

Fareer needs to come from off the pace does he? That, and your assertions that he needs 7f not a mile, must explain how he won a Listed race at York over a mile, making all. Oh, and a small piece of advice - horses that don't get 1 mile don't win mile races at Royal Ascot I'm afraid.

As for the second hand tales you heard two days before the race about the supposed riding instructions O'Shea was given - do me a favour.

Last edited:
Oh! Well, there we go, Shadz - I thought you might've taken out a permit for yours, as that would be one helluva good way to keep costs in-house. And if you took out a riding licence, the trilogy would be complete - owner/trainer/rider. Not many of those around any more, but that would've been impressive to see in the race card!

Not so sure that the BHA would be falling over themselves to licence me to ride with a metal hip, even if I did want to do it!

congratulations to all. Just waiting for the Summer Plate meeting at MR next Saturday now. Should have a few runners and hopefully a winner there. Love that meeting and thanks to the Tote for sponsoring it.;)

Looks like you have a busy weekend ahead Mr Owen - Do you think No Panic will get a run? It looks the classiest field I can remember for The Summer Plate - all the best I'll be watching with interest and hope to see you collecting a trophy or two.

Interesting point, Shadz (no anatomical pun intended!) - I guess there are some jocks riding with pins, bolts, metal rods in arms or legs, etc. following some of their worst falls? Or are they disqualled once they're nutted and bolted?

There are loads - including Philip Robinson who has a metal hip, same as mine. Until Robinson was granted his licence again though I wasn't so sure that they'd approve a replacement joint as opposed to a a few plates or nails holding a bone together. It would probably be a different case if an unheard of amateur wanted to ride over jumps though to a senior flat jockey with years of experience wanting to reapply for his licence on the level I'd have thought.

Last edited:
Back