Forum horse connections

Wish you all the best with WP and her imminent parenthood, Flame. She's a nicely-made girl and I hope she passes on her looks to her baby. I'm sure Pach will build on that for you - he should have MILES in the tank, with such light racing, and yes, let's hope the handicapper doesn't load him up for that good try. Looks a sincere horse, too, which is always nice.

Good luck indeed, 3m 3f 110y over hurdles is no joke. Is this the longest hurdle race in the calendar?

Think so Grey - Sedgefield stage quite a few over 3m 3 1/2f IIRC. The horse will definitely want a proper trip in time IMO, ran a blinder over 3m on bottomless at Carlisle first time out when he finished like a train.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Only The Best is in good order, and though he is technically unproven at the trip, we think he will relish the journey, and the stamina test presented by the track. We give weight away all-round, but reckon he has a good each-way shout today.

You must be very pleased with OTB's resolute efforts on what looked like slippy ground, Grassy? Thumping big feller, isn't he? He was the first I saw on looking up at the telly and I thought, "What a lovely horse!" and it was him. I guess he'll be set at chasing, where I'm sure he'll enjoy the bigger obstacles. A little nod at the second last, nothing to worry about - given his size, rather solid action, and the state of the going, that was damn good.

Hard for me to muster quite that much enthusiasm, krizon. For all that we think he will be a better chaser than a hurdler, I thought OTB ran in snatches today, and failed to stay-on quite as stoutly as I'd hoped.

I haven't had a chance to discuss the race with David Parry as yet, but we have generally been saving him for softer ground this winter, and I wonder if perhaps he mightn't be better on quicker going than he encountered today.

OTB went well enough in a modest bumper on Good-to-Firm last spring, and his staying-on, first-time-out effort at Carlisle on Good ground in NOvember, is arguably his best effort under rules to date. It's just possible that a combination of quicker ground, and a suitably staying trip, might see him to better effect.

I won't pretend I'm not a little disappointed though.

Yes, he was did run on and off a bit, but I didn't like the look of the ground particularly. Not so much that it was very soft, but that it looked a bit slidey underfoot, so not the best to give horses confidence. He looks a good old grinder, though, no prob to get the distance. Maybe he'd prefer a flatter track, too, as being a big horse without too many gears, he mightn't especially love undulations. TBH, I'd be pretty happy with him today.

Wavertree Princess (5.30) has a feather weight on board of 7st 7lb tomorrow in a claimer at Wolves and I'm hoping she will beat one or two.

Pachakutek (8.00) would have outside claims but the Wigham horse will be very hard to beat.

Kimberlite King runs in the €50k novice handicap chase on Sunday over three miles at Navan. He loves soft ground but the step up in trip should negate ground effect and he should run well. Fingers crossed for a clear round.

I also have a share in OTB with Grassy. I was off skiing this week and didn't see the race but I wasn't at all surprised by the result. I think the boss has a plan in his head and I'm sure it will all become clear next year.

Really looking forward to that, Cantoris. I like your KK very much. So, it's the Cheltenham Gold Cup 2011 for OTB, is it? ;)

KK made a fine showing for much of the race, but perhaps the speed throughout just told on him? I hope he's back none the worse for his efforts, Cantoris - looks like RIP to HIGH FIDELITY, though, kicking on the ground, and I hope the jockeys who were punted skywards came back okay, too. Whoever it was in green looked worse for wear - hope the fellow is all right.

Yeah it was a rough race on very decent ground which KK is just not effective on so I'd draw a line through it. We are still on a good mark, given the right conditions.....heavy ground and three miles. So we will wait now till next season with him unless the weather breaks in the next few weeks.

Joe Jo returned sound after his fall at Sandown. I couldn;t help think of some of the stuff written about Murphy on here when he came down. All I will say is that Diamond Harry's backers will need plenty of luck on Wednesday.

Same here, David. Not trying to be funny or arsey as I haven't really been following him closely tbh, but has he ever shown a tendency to run down a fence before?

No. The reason we were happy to keep running in higher grade events was because his jumping has looked so assured, as it did again until he came down.

Thanks, Cantoris - glad KK's fine, and will enjoy seeing him on more suited going later on. DJ, so glad your darling horse is all right. He's such a bonny soul (I didn't see the fall) and the inaccuracy or whatever it was sounds out of synch with his usual style, so hopefully that was just a silly day, and he'll be doing you proud again soon.

Well just got back to my accommodation from the racecourse and can safely say that was an interesting day. Think the grey fella ran a blinder but still not convinced he was fully right today he looked light in the paddock and was off the bridle far too far from home and didn't travel at all well imo, for him to stick on like he did I'm very very proud. Think it will be the aintree hurdle next that should suit him down to the ground and then the world hurdle next year. Hope everyone took some of the outrageous 11/1 this morning. Binocular what a performance though. Looking forward to the fly being back next year for that race.

Back