Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

He had a cracking horse with Martin Todhunter too a few years back - Kingsmark who was a regular in the old 3m Chases at Haydock :)

Just noticed a comment in the e-mails responding to the article about the market change and AP going odds-on to ride Denman.

The contributor states that Ruby will ride Denman and that 6/1 against him will look silly when the announcement about a problem with K/S is made and that he will swerve the race.

Any foundation in this anyone, or just speculation?

Speculation Redhead - Christian Williams has ridden a few winners for Findlay of late - 33's now with Paddy Power and seemingly second choice at Ditcheat of late.

For the Gold Cup Ruby will ride Kauto,Sam will ride Denman if he runs,Christian will ride Neptune,whether or not Denman runs. Denman will not run in the GN.
No decisions made but my fancy

Christian is riding out of his skin at present and gave Big Fella Thanks and Imsingingtheblues a peach of a ride. They all love him at Ditcheat. I see tom Segal gave him a big write up in this weeks Weekender.
In fact Big Fella Thanks at 50/1 for the Grand National is worth looking at.

Matt asking John Hales some seeking questions today on the air. John doing his best to be diplomatic.

Could be a funny result if AP were to ride Denman, and he was not well/fit enough, Kauto had Ruby on him and Sam ended up on Neptune - and Neptune won.

For sure weirder things have happened.

Altho John was trying very hard not to mention Sam.

Looking at next week's fixture list, I wonder could they slot in the Newbury fixture on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday since they're quiet? I suppose logistics would be tricky at this late notice though. Weather permitting of course - I believe it's due to get worse again Sunday/Monday.

Last edited:
The whole idea of running at Newbury was his love of the track. If the bookies had any balls they`d be offering 9/4 by now.

Clearly being rushed on for Denman but none the worse for that - if the ground is soft , heavy in places though why is Alberta's Run even running ?

I backed KS for the big one last night at 4, just checking to see how the price has changed but my wifi is down so everything taking for ever...

In fairness I don't think the race makes us very much wiser, as Denman was never at the races and didn't like the track one bit, nor the ground I'd guess. But Findlay's remarks this morning are far more telling: speaking of the heart problem: "... and two and a half months on Paul is still worried. He said "If I can get bet him back fit and ready to win around this time [ie Feb/March] it will my greatest ever training performance".

I don't think my cautionary remarks a couple of days ago about the underlying nature of such problems were at all out of order; and events have proved so

PS Denman now 4.8/4.7, KS is around 3.1 or was a few minutes ago
Now is the time to back Denman if you fancy today was what they all said it was - an ongoing part of the prep. Their disappointment says much though

Last edited:
And I thought the Betfair Chase was a head scratcher. Wonder what the handicapper will make of it.

Blue Square still 8/1 Neptune Collognes but as low as 9/2 with the Tote who seem to want to be shortest everything at the top of the market bar Denman.

Kauto Star 2/1 (Stan James).
Denman 4/1 (Tote, Skybet, Ladbrokes)
Neptune Collognes (Blue Square)
Madison Du Berlais 12/1 (William Hill)
Exoctic Dancer 16/1 (Tote, William Hill)
Barber Shop 20/1 (General)
Albertas Run 25/1 (Stan James, Ladbrokes)
Star De Mohaison (Blue Square)

Back