Grand National 2020

Lord Oaksey in his autobiography tells a very funny tale about a virtual King George VI Chase run the time of foot and mouth 1967 .
A lunch is held in some London Hotel and on entry Julian Wilson offers him 500/1 to ten shillings his mount.
As he deems himself able to have a bet he takes up the offer.
A new fangled computer gives a print off of the race fence by fence , commentary supplied by Peter O 'Sullevan.
Every horse that fell in a previous race fell in this one so Oaksey's mount comes through late to win.
Wilson pays up , money for IJF and John Oaksey puts all his creative skill reporting his great win in the next Horse and Hound edition, blowing his trumpet saying the combination of skill required to hold up his mount in such a fast pace while avoiding every faller contributed to the shock result of his mount, a moderate if consistent horse.
Anyways the owner took such umbrage that he never left Lord Oaksey ride the horse again.

RacingTV currently showing the Grand Nationals since they were televised, currently on 1965 including the pre race betting. 100/6, 100/7 30/1 there's a throwback.

Last edited:
I guess I will be relying on a miracle from the artificial intelligence gods then, DO. : )

I was just thinking to myself that I'd better wait till midnight to place my bets in case my horse is a non runner.....I think lockdown is getting to me....

I thought Crievehill's run in November at Haydock was probably his career best. I measured the form through the 8lb and 15L beating he gave Bob Mahler in third place.

Bob Mahler has franked the form plenty, over 4M+ and at the cheltenham festival last month in the kim muir.

I know this is virtual, but if you put a line through Crievehills last two runs and take it that Nigel Twiston Davies has him in peak condition, I can see why you fancied him for the real version, DO.

He's never fallen either which has to be a big plus, both for future reference and todays virtual race with its algorithms.

Last edited:
Just for the record and since it no longer matters, my ante-post bets for the race were:

¼pt ew Le Breuil 50/1
½ pt win Anibale Fly 28/1
½ pt win Ballyoptic 28/1
¼pt ew Lord Du Mesnil 50/1
¼pt ew Crievehill 66/1

I haven't looked at the race again since the week before the festival. The chances are I would have alighted on something I fancy more by now and gone in a wee bit heavier. I'll be genuinely disappointed if the algorithms throw up Tiger Roll. I reckon he'd be doing well to get in the first four.

I received an e-mail from my sporting life tracker reminding me Burrows Saint is running. :lol: I will probably have to back it now. :ninja:

My Stable Entries for Saturday 4 April 2020
Here are your entries for all My Stable selections running tomorrow.
Virtual Grand National
17:15: Virtual Grand National
Burrows Saint

T: W P Mullins J: Rachael Blackmore

Also on Crievehill, plus Magic of Light and Total Recall.

Anyone know who will be behind the computations used to determine the outcome of the race?

Total Recall fits the bill for one I might have ended up liking a lot for the real race.

As for today, I suspect the algorithms will penalise it for running poorly before (not long after a big run in the Gold Cup).

Total Recall fits the bill for one I might have ended up liking a lot for the real race.

As for today, I suspect the algorithms will penalise it for running poorly before (not long after a big run in the Gold Cup).

It's just a number generator so a 10/1 chance has whatever the overround per runner is below 9.09%.

It's just a number generator so a 10/1 chance has whatever the overround per runner is below 9.09%.

is making me laugh seeing blogs/tweets doing actual form study for this and putting up selections based on it

So talk of algorithms is just a load of tosh?

they'll have used algorithms based on form etc to work out the % chance and then just use a number generator to select the winner based on them

so it's there for all to see by just looking at their odds/implied percentage chance so you can work out exactly how likely they are to win, which is why the odds are identical across all bookmakers and won't change

so doing your own form study/algorithm would be a waste of time

Last edited:
Are people actually doing that??

yeah, its mostly just selections in fairness with no reasoning and you wouldn't put anyone off betting it given the profits going to the nhs

https://twitter.com/DizzyJB/status/1246388206410641413 < example of someone using trends etc to narrow the field

in fairness there's probably one way to bet it and that's with the tote pool as the pricing there is based on the pool betting but i'm assuming their profits are also going to the nhs so may need to grapple with your conscience a bit if you're betting things at bigger than they should be

Back