Just £1 wins
Cloudy Glen 153
Minella trump 120
And already did
Galvin 130
Enjoy d'allen 122
Royal pigalle 65
Mister coffey 120

I'll settle for Roi Mage or a bit of Poetry.

No problem here you go

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the Puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.
The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o' need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

At this stage, I like Royale Pagaille and Noble Yeats. The latter was a good few lengths in front of the former in the GC, and only has 3 pound extra to carry. But that weight concession is over a mile longer, and I like the theory that a horse that suits 3 miles plus on heavy ground will be even better over a longer trip on good ground. RP looks the class act and the forgotten horse. Currently priced at 40/1, and will be backed heavily on the day because Venetia is the trainer.

Give her the raw material and she's as good as anybody. Always has been.

It must be 20 years since she seemed to win every big Saturday handicap with something owned by the Winning Line group.

Quite interesting how trainers are chosen to train horses over other trainers, especially on the flat.

Take the Hamdan Maktoum example.

The operation has been cut down in size since his death but some trainers will still get a few and some won't.

I'd love to know how it is all worked out.

Do you have to be a member of a secret society or a masonic lodge to get sent a very good horse I wonder.

Or is it a mere arbitrary effort from some owners.

Or is it actually just reputation..strike rate...history...training fees and a few other logical and perfectly rationale considerations. :)

Who the feck knows?

Last edited:
Quite interesting how trainers are chosen to train horses over other trainers, especially on the flat.

Take the Hamdan Maktoum example.

The operation has been cut down in size since his death but some trainers will still get a few and some won't.

I'd love to know how it is all worked out.

Do you have to be a member of a secret society or a masonic lodge to get sent a very good horse I wonder.

Or is it a mere arbitrary effort from some owners.

Or is it actually just reputation..strike rate...history...training fees and a few other logical and perfectly rationale considerations. :)

Who the feck knows?

Chatter about Hamdan Al Maktoum has no place on this thread. Next time I bring the soft cushions.

Probably worthy of a thread in itself, especially as people on here do have connections in racing. I know some horses don’t do well in big yards and improve a lot when moving to smaller operations. I did wonder if JP tended to move his horses to Ben Hallam if they’d become a bit sour and jaded? etc As for the National I’d really love Sam Thomas to win it and will struggle to support any other horses if Our Power dies run. I just always want the smaller yards to do well.

Staying the extra distance has to be a unknown for many in the national but I think
CLOUDY GLEN is way overpriced with W.Hill at 100/1.
I've done it at 153 on betfair and just had some more at 180 and a bigger bet to place at 20.
Also took the 100s with hills boosted to 117/1
Won the Hennessey and the first two were 28L in front of the 3rd.
Also finished 2nd in the kim Muir earlier.only had 4 races since including a 3rd over 3m 4f.
Same sire as MANY CLOUDS.

No Snail by David Owen, a book on the racing life of L'Escargot has been recently published.
Having read his book on Foinavon's Grand National and after Arthur Moore mentioned it on Racing TV interview, I bought it on Amazon last Sunday night, delivered Tuesday and nearly finished today.
Well worth a read, I highly recommend it, though I have yet to get my head around the fact the horse only won 12 races in his illustrious career.

Done a bit of research this morning and I have a shortlist (to avoid really, bad recent record in the race.)

Mr Incredible
Longhouse Poet
Le Milos
Ain't That a Shame
Gabby's Cross

Looks like 6 are declared for Fairyhouse on Monday, which would leave 49 (I think) left in at Aintree. The 6 declared for the Irish Nash are:

Royal Pagaille
Defi Blue
Fakeira
Gevrey
Milan Native
Punitive

I'll probably just back a few outsiders in the race myself and having had a quick scan through I'll probably be on Roi mage, diol ker and if the ground is plenty soft enough I'll back big breakaway too. Out of the market leaders Mr incredible, Corach and Le milos are best of the bunch in that order.

Hope you're all well and winning ;)

I'll probably just back a few outsiders in the race myself and having had a quick scan through I'll probably be on Roi mage, diol ker and if the ground is plenty soft enough I'll back big breakaway too. Out of the market leaders Mr incredible, Corach and Le milos are best of the bunch in that order.

Hope you're all well and winning ;)

Nice to hear from you Danny.

Fvck fvck fvck...

After burning gallons of midnight oil back in February trawling through the weights, I now realise I've come to Spain without the hard-copy figures. I must have presumed I'd saved them to file.

I'll need to start again. Mrs O is NOT going to be pleased...

Cape Gentleman bought by Shark Hanlon from Emmet Mullins on behalf of an American Pierre Manigault will carry the colours worn by Sergeant Murphy 100 years ago; the current owner is great grandson of Stephen Sanford, who owned SM.
Sergeant Murphy was the first American bred winner of the race.
With Emmet CG fell at the last fence in Kerry National , behind/beside Hewick
After American National the American wanted to buy Hewick but as he was not for sale Shark's thoughts turned to Emmet, a noted salesman.
Can the Shark bite twice ?
Will jockey Jody McGarvey earn "Tuppy" as a nickname after SM's jockey Captain "Tuppy" Bennett ?

Will jockey Jody McGarvey earn "Tuppy" as a nickname after SM's jockey Captain "Tuppy" Bennett ?

I'll be honest, I went looking for smut when I was trying to work out how he got such a nickname. I didn't find that out but I did locate the following

Captain Geoffrey Harbord Bennet won the 1923 Grand National on Sergeant Murphy, the second oldest horse at 13, to win the National. He was described as one of ''the most courageous amateur riders''

During the war, Geoffrey served as a served as a Captain in the MRCVS.,being a professional vet in peacetime.

Tuppy Bennet as Geoffrey was known, also rode Turkey Buzzard in the 1921 at Aintree remounting 3 times (no longer allowed) finishing a way back fourth. Hannah Hollins, the owner of that horse was severely displeased and chased Bennet around the enclosure battering him with her umbrella and a string of expletives.

Geoffrey died 27 Dec 1923, when his mount came down at Wolverhampton in the Oteley (then a steeplechase course) and kicked him in the head. He died, never regaining consciousness after 17 days, aged 29 old.

After this incident helmets were made compulsory in horse racing. The funeral held at Newmarket was one of the biggest ever, with over 100 wreaths.

Credit for this goes to Toofatfortakeoff at greatwarforums.org

Captain Geoffrey Tuppy Harbord Bennet MRCVS - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org)

As one who was heavily [for me, at the time, probably 50p win :lol: ] into Crisp in 1973, this is a good piece by Simon Rowlands:

Sectional Spotlight | Grand National Festival | At The Races & Sky Sports Racing

It doesn't make the result any easier to take but at least it helps explain what happened.

It’s that last bit “veering off a true line” for which Pitman blames himself. According to him with Crisp virtually dead on his feet it was crucial to hold him together, but he gave him a crack instead which caused the veering. Whether he would still have been collared we’ll ever know.

Last edited:
It’s that last bit “veering off a true line” for which Pitman blames himself. According to him with Crisp virtually dead on his feet it was crucial to hold him together, but he gave him a crack instead which caused the veering. Whether he would still have been collared we’ll ever know.
Read that, and it's a perfectly plausible explanation of the distance Crisp was beaten by.
So much for NH sectionals,eh.:)

i was never sure if I really ever believed Pitman was at fault there. It might have been the difference between a head defeat and the actual distance.

What SR's sectional analysis appears to imply is that Crisp might have won if he hadn't gone so fast in that third mile. It would have been good if SR had given his sectional mark-ups for the pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back