Grand National

Which is why the move in the market today suggests its Double Seven. Advisable to take 25/1 now with Skybet for anyone who is not on.

I'm on at 29 on Betfair. If the market moves the way I hope it does I'll lay it off so that it covers the rest of my selections and a nice profit if he wins.

Double Seven and Colbert Station switched positions on Big Blue between Saturday night and Sunday morning, Slim. There wasn't much in the way of liquidity, but the move was encouraging enough. It's been one-way traffic since then, and I've had enough on to walk away with a nice lump, and still have a decent dunt running for me too.

77 needs to drop to about 9/1 before I'm totally compelled to push the button, but I will be hanging in there as long as possible. Sporting are holding at 33/1 (out of line) if our resident Odds Comparison hoojimmay is accurate, and that will evaporate as soon as McCoy is confirmed. The coin should really start coming to the AP market from tomorrow, and I'll be watching with interest over the next couple of days.

I reckon DS automatically becomes a 16/1 chance across-the-board when McCoy is confirmed. We can then look forward to the press baking an ernormous misty-eyed pie, topped with a humungous "Will he retire if he wins" cherry. Every housewife on the planet will have their £2 each-way on this yoke, and when "Lucky 77" starts getting the back-page headlines, we can throw in a billion Chinese too.

He could go off 4/7.

:D

Last edited:
Frank Berry is quoted as saying Double Seven must have good ground so the weather could be the only fly in the ointment. But as long as the weather holds off until Thursday morning that won't matter!

Quito De La Roque blue on oddschecker. It can't be just myself and Desert Orchid moving the market!

One thing the Quito De La Roche knockers are forgetting is that Colm Murphy's horses were rotten for the last two years..they are showing signs of a return to health....I've given the 47-65 handicap at Dundalk on Friday more study than the GN but Alvarado and Quito would be my two against the field at the prices.....

Just did a trawl through my accounts. I have already backed the following at various points over the last three months:

Quito (66)
Triolo (20)
Our Father (80 & 50)
Night In Milan (50)
Burton (50)
Out Now (533)
Golan Way (140)

Room for a few more... :lol:

Last edited:
One thing the Quito De La Roche knockers are forgetting is that Colm Murphy's horses were rotten for the last two years..they are showing signs of a return to health....I've given the 47-65 handicap at Dundalk on Friday more study than the GN but Alvarado and Quito would be my two against the field at the prices.....

The problem isn't physical imo, OTB.

They'll jump him out and hope they get to the front, but as soon as something is upsides, he'll make errors, spit the dummy out, drop through the field, and be PU'd before the second circuit.

And he'll do even less held-up.

Just did a trawl through my accounts. I have already backed the following at various points over the last three months:

Quito (66)
Triolo (20)
Our Father (80 & 50)
Night In Milan (50)
Burton (50)
Out Now (533)
Golan Way (140)

Room for a few more... :lol:

Biggest bet or is that to come?

What are the chances of Alfie Sherrin getting in at the bottom?
Would imagine Mclernon would ride if he does

I probably won't have another bet now until Saturday morning when all the offers kick in.

If he gets in, I'm coming round to the idea of Night In Milan as my strongest fancy. It will be officially 7lbs well in running off 10-0. The concern is that James Reveley hasn't got below 10-3 this season so he might end up a touch overweight. I wonder how those connected with the horse might feel if he does 10-3 and gets beat a couple of lengths. Then again, he's had since mid-Feb to get down to 10-0 if necessary. I reckon I could do that if I thought riding the National winner was the prize.

How about Walkon? Managed to scrape in by finishing 4th at Newbury. 2nd In a Topham. Has to be a doubtful stayer I know, but could get run for your money. His run at Newbury was hardly inspiring I know, but he's interesting.

Night in Milan and One in a Milan will cause murder to casual punters on the day! Watch your bets!

I wonder if Rebecca Curtis has watched the 04 and 05 Nationals recently. The tactics on Hedgehunter were different the year he won as he didn't lead until after around 20 fences or so. If they can hold Teaforthree up this time around it might mean he has a better chance of getting home. Plus he might trade a decent price in running.

I wonder if Rebecca Curtis has watched the 04 and 05 Nationals recently. The tactics on Hedgehunter were different the year he won as he didn't lead until after around 20 fences or so. If they can hold Teaforthree up this time around it might mean he has a better chance of getting home. Plus he might trade a decent price in running.

Valid point. I just think let him do what he's best at, up with the pace jumping well. Plus your out of the way of any potential fallers. He did clout 2 out was it which knocked the stuffing out of him. He is the rock solid horse in the race imo. The petrol running out is a worry.

Back