Great Weekend In Dublin - GWID 2012

Grey

Senior Jockey
It's all of two years since the last GWID brightened up the depths of winter, so it's time to do one again. Leopardstown's new two day meeting on Sat 28 and Sun 29 January presents a fine opportunity.

The Sweeps/Ladbroke/Pierce/MCR hurdle is on the Saturday, along with the Leopardstown Chase. Sunday features the Irish Champion Hurdle, the Irish Arkle and the Golden Cygnet hurdle, a Grade 2 novice event. Better still, the last race each day will be a bumper. :)

Flights to Dublin that weekend will be reasonable; it is low season and there are no big matches or other events taking place to fill the planes and hotels. And Bewley's Hotel at Leopardstown, 10 minutes walk from the racecourse turnstiles, is doing a very good deal that weekend. For €89 per night two people can have a twin or double room, breakfast, and free admission to the raceourse. (Thanks to Betsmate for pointing this out). A bus from the airport to the hotel costs about €15 return.

A tram service on the hotel's doorstep will take you into town on Saturday night for a meal and a night out. We might be given complimentary passes to a certain night club, provided we promise not to dribble and drool as much as some of us did the last time.

If enough people are interested Cantoris will arrange a visit to Colm Murphy's yard on the Saturday morning. That would involve an early start, however, so we would look at staying overnight on Friday somewhere close by. Colm's yard is in Co Wexford, about sixty miles from Dublin.

Preliminary soundings suggest that most of those who took part in previous years are foolish enough to come back for more. It will be fun to meet up again with these reprobates and to meet some new faces. Try and make it if you can, all are welcome.

Leopardstown, Saturday 28 January
C 4 10000 16 Maiden Hurdle 4yo only
C 5+ 10000 20 Maiden Hurdle 5yo and up
H 4+ 100000 16 Grade B Limited Handicap Hurdle (0-145) 0-145
J 5+ 12000 17 Beginners Steeplechase 5yo and up
L 5+ 37500 21 Grade 2 Novice Steeplechase 5yo and up
Q 5+ 75000 21 Grade A Handicap Steeplechase 5yo and up (Leopardstown) HCap
V 4 8000 16 Bumper 4yo only (Pro/Am) Pro-Am

Leopardstown, Sunday 29 January
C 4+ 11000 16 Maiden Hurdle (placed in the first 5 in a race)
E 4+ 110000 16 Grade 1 Hurdle (Champion)
E 5+ 39500 20 Grade 2 Novice Hurdle 5yo and up (Golden Cygnet)
G 5+ 14500 20 Handicap Hurdle 5yo and up (81-123) 81-123
L 5+ 80000 17 Grade 1 Novice Steeplechase 5yo and up (Arkle)
P 4+ 22500 17 Handicap Steeplechase 5yo and up (140 = 11.10) HCap
W 57 8000 16 Bumper 5, 6 and 7yo only (Pro/Am) Pro-Am

Last edited:
I would think about it but can you really see Cantoris letting me into Colm Murphy's yard?

I'm booked on the first flight out of Leeds on the Saturday and the last one back on the Sunday and I'm staying at the Bewleys Leopardstown, taking advantage of that €89 offer

A VIP appearance from me at Krystal is long overdue.

That's one helluva deal! Can't believe the whole forum won't turn up for that. I see my workdays are squeezed between Fontwell on the 27th and Plumpton on the 30th, so that's buggered that possibility, unless I put my trust in winter flying conditions, which mightn't be the best idea! Have a fabulastic time, guys.

Last edited:
I would think about it but can you really see Cantoris letting me into Colm Murphy's yard?

I'd be more concerned that you might get emotionally attached to the yoke nibbling on your jacket from over the stable door. Now that would be something.

Hamm, even you are invited but you have to bring polos for Brave Inca, some words of encouragement for QDLR, some words of praise for VLV after she trounces Mourad on Sunday (!!) and something along the lines of "sorry for doubting you" for Big Zeb.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned that you might get emotionally attached to the yoke nibbling on your jacket from over the stable door. Now that would be something.

Hamm, even you are invited but you have to bring polos for Brave Inca, some words of encouragement for QDLR, some words of praise for VLV after she trounces Mourad on Sunday (!!) and something along the lines of "sorry for doubting you" for Big Zeb.

I suggest you charge on the door that morning! :lol:

:)

I'm in... For at least one days racing and I have no problem in allowing you buy a very well bred leg of chicken from me.... Good size and scope will do nothing but improve....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back