Great Weekend In Dublin - GWID 2012

Grey - under heavy restraint early, several mistakes, losing touch with senses when ran out on bend leaving back straight.

Cantoris - refused to race

Slim Chance - late scratching

Betsmate - set strong early pace, kept on well

On The Bridle - disputed early lead, hit second last, almost carried out last.

ANALYSIS - An attritional affair the form of which may be in doubt due to the unexplained withdrawal of some runners. Nevertheless it might be foolish to underestimate the winner's prospects of scoring in stronger company. The race quickly developed into a dual leaving the back straight. While Betsmate continued to negotiate his fences efficicently, On The Bridle's contorted leaps were becoming increasingly eccentric, with a mixture of styles ranging from Devo robot, John Travolta and Spanish matador. Most onlookers were left looking at the ground. Poor visibility obscured the final stretch to the line from the last and no result has yet been declared.

Last edited:
Grey - under heavy restraint early, several mistakes, losing touch with senses when ran out on bend leaving back straight.

Cantoris - refused to race

Slim Chance - late scratching

Betsmate - set strong early pace, kept on well

On The Bridle - disputed early lead, hit second last, almost carried out last.

ANALYSIS - An attritional affair the form of which may be in doubt due to the unexplained withdrawal of some runners. Nevertheless it might be foolish to underestimate the winner's prospects of scoring in stronger company. The race quickly developed into a dual leaving the back straight. While Betsmate continued to negotiate his fences efficicently, On The Bridle's contorted leaps were becoming increasingly eccentric, with a mixture of styles ranging from Devo robot, John Travolta and Spanish matador. Most onlookers were left looking at the ground. Poor visibility obscured the final stretch to the line from the last and no result has yet been declared.

Brilliant !! :lol:

Betsmate won by a good head or neck. He built up an unassailable lead but we thought he might falter late on. I have lodged an objection with the Stewards on the basis that he must have hollow legs!:whistle:

He drank so much Rum last night I was sure I'd see him with an eyepatch this morning.;)

Last edited:
All in all it was a great weekend.

The visit to Colm Murphy's on Saturday morning took place on probably the coldest morning of the winter so far but it was bright and dry. There were a couple of dozen Winning Ways people there and a few forumites, including Bar The Bull and his two charming young boys who never whinged in spite of being frozen to the bone.

Of the Winning Ways horses, Presenting Beara was confined to his box due to lameness but it's not thought to be anything serious. Tropical View is also on the easy list, yet again. It would be great to see him make it to the track and reward his owners for their amazing patience. The new mare, expected to be named Temperance Hall, seems to be settling in nicely, although she dropped her rider on her second day in big school and the prefects are still keeping an eye on her. Raise The Beat has been back in work for a few weeks now and is looking very well. If all continues to go the right way we might seem him back on the track in mid to late spring.

At Leopardstown we met up with Betsmate, On The Bridle, Miesque and various others, and An Capall made cameo appearances (which after all is what has-been film stars do) on both days.

There was a good gang of friends and forumites for dinner in the Leopardstown Inn on Saturday evening before a hard core element headed into town. A report of that hazardous episode is already posted above.

There was excellent racing both days, the obvious highlight of which was Hurricane Fly's knockout performance yesterday, but there were plenty of others to admire, especially Sir Des Champs, Seabass, Flemenstar and Boston Bob.

Many thanks to everyone who came along for the excellent company. For those who can, it was a weekend to remember.

Last edited:
When OTB ordered me the triple vodka and coke at 8pm, I knew it was time to leave!! As I was out the night before (and haven't as good a constitution as Bestmate) and had a 6.30 start for Colm's place, I was under strong driving from early on. I thought I did well to last until 10pm at which point the distress signals were well and truly out and I excused myself. Judge on the sorry state of the runners the next day, it was a gruelling encounter in Tinsel, Diamond, sorry Krystle!!

Back