I’m not feeling it....

Definitely the worst Festival I have ever been to . Of course there were lots of great races but lots of depressingly uncompetitive ones too. Heavy ground obviously compromises it . The race day experience as they like to call it was also much the worst . It was as if they had little confidence in the racing product . Loads of dreadful “ non-racing entertainment “ the money they spent on it would have been much better spent on car parks and prize money . Food and drink exceptionally expensive and as for the endless loud music played all day over the PA ffs - we had loud rock music with thrashing guitars for the parade for the Gold Cup for heaven’s sake . At least if you stayed at home you would have been spared the awful presentation by Aly Vance - though Martin Kelly and Hayley Moore just showed her up with their knowledgeable presentation and interviews . Highlights Captain Guinness and the battle royal in the Turners Lowlights ( apart obviously from poor Highland Hunter and the fatality in the Fred Winter ( whose name escapes me) - the lowest rated Champion Hurdle I have ever seen and the very uncompetitive NH Chase and Gallagher.

Does anybody know when and why they decommisioned the Mandarin Bar and replaced it with a very high priced restaurant?*
Seems like they tore down paradise and put up a parking lot.

(*Two sittings for 3-course meal etc. 11AM to 2PM £325 per head. 2.30PM to 6PM £365 per head. Beverages not included.)

Last edited:
Profitable festival but probably my least enjoyable from a racing perspective.
Tuesday and Wednesday (my favourite two days and usually the best 2 days), we're pretty dull.
Have to start referring to State Man as Allan Wells! Champion chase (my favourite race), was a damp squib too.
Thursday and Friday saved it in many ways, Gold Cup in particular.
Enjoyed the raceday experience, managed to get a table in the members bar each day.
Regarding the parking issues leaving on Tuesday,, what did they expect? I meet friends every day of the meeting who drive in, and they don't park at the course. Plenty of places to park within walking distance at a fraction of the price if you plan it properly.

Does anybody know when and why they decommisioned the Mandarin Bar and replaced it with a very high priced restaurant?*

(*Two sittings for 3-course meal etc. 11AM to 2PM £325 per head. 2.30PM to 6PM £365 per head. Beverages not included.)

Start of this season.I think.
Other meetings I believe it's about £80-£100.
Another thing I don't get, Cheltenham has some great restaurants, book in advance and eat there after racing.

I suspect most of these expensive restaurant customers will be people using the occasion to promote their businesses in some way or other and pass the bill off as expenses on their tax returns. In other words, we all end up paying for it.

I was in front after racing on Wednesday but went a bit mental over the final two days, throwing it all away. I ended up with probably my heaviest losing festival for many years.

it started this season - although not quite at those prices clearly Michelin star prices and looked pretty empty.

I suspect Cheltenham ignored the pandemic bounce effect of the 2022 Festival and thought they could charge what they liked and the last two years have been a nasty surprise.

Profitable festival but probably my least enjoyable from a racing perspective.
Tuesday and Wednesday (my favourite two days and usually the best 2 days), we're pretty dull.
Have to start referring to State Man as Allan Wells! Champion chase (my favourite race), was a damp squib too.
Thursday and Friday saved it in many ways, Gold Cup in particular.
Enjoyed the raceday experience, managed to get a table in the members bar each day.
Regarding the parking issues leaving on Tuesday,, what did they expect? I meet friends every day of the meeting who drive in, and they don't park at the course. Plenty of places to park within walking distance at a fraction of the price if you plan it properly.
That’s all very well if you go there year to year but if you’re a first time festival goer you’ll go with the whole ticket and parking package. It took us years to find a better alternative car park.

That’s all very well if you go there year to year but if you’re a first time festival goer you’ll go with the whole ticket and parking package. It took us years to find a better alternative car park.

Hence my last sentence in the statement....if you plan it properly.

We used to go to the Grand National every year and we parked at the British Legion club and walk about 400yds.when we came out of the car park the motorway was just up the road.perfect.

Geez some of these stories are dreadful and added to those on Facebook (I don’t do the other platform) where they are coming thick and fast, people really do need to bombard the racecourse with emails. Because if everyone just sits back and does nothing, then nothing will happen.

I emailed them last year about the ghastly music...Ardross....please, please email them about it. It’s terrible, and what on Earth is it doing to the horses? Their hearing is far more acute so no wonder even Willie Mullins is resorting to hooded earplugs.

The restaurant prices are ridiculous.... I spoke to someone pointing today and he was charged £17.50 for a double whiskey!

Just what are they doing to what was formerly the greatest show on earth?

I thought that it was a great festival.

State Man was a worthy Champion Hurdler. He isn't Constitution Hill but he compares favourably with most of the other champions of the last thirty years.

Gaelic Warrior, Corbett's Cross and Ballyburn put up imense performances. Fact to File did the business without being flashy.

Who couldn't but be delighted for Rachael & Henry with both Slade Steel and Captain Guinness.

Grey Dawning, Teahupoo, Protektorat and Inothewayurthinkin all very impressive on Thursday.

Close finishes in the Plate, and the County and Pipe Hurdles.

A couple of wins for the small trainers with Jeremy Scott and Fiona Needham.

And an outstanding Gold Cup winner.

Other than the unfortunate abscence of most of Henderson's best horses, I thought that it had everything.

Last edited:
With regard to attendance though, I was at the four days two years ago and would have difficulty justifying going again.

We had a family holiday for 5 last summer for what the Cheltenham festival cost me.

Last edited:
Kempton was £7.80 for a Guinness today.........

£6.80 for a Pint of Lager at Uttoxeter today, £11 for a burger and chips, i didn't participate in either

Did 3 pubs before racing and went back in Spoons after

The prices are getting scandalous everywhere

Yup spoons is the answer. Go there every sporting event I go to. Booked hotel in Chester for the May meeting with the spoons 200 yards away. Same for Epsom when I go to the Derby. Seen it was 3 quid for a cup of tea or can of juice at Cheltenham. Don't think so. York was the best value but haven't been for a couple of years.

The comment from Ian Renton, MD of the racecourse that was in the Telegraph on Saturday:
" Whilst we've seen slightly lower numbers in terms of general admission this week, hospitality sales continue to go from strength to strength."
And isn't that just what he/they want? More hospitality and less regular racegoers who are more likely to question the prices and the general experience.

My brother was in a box on Wednesday (corporate) and he said he had never known the place to be so lacking in atmosphere.

I thought that it was a great festival.

State Man was a worthy Champion Hurdler. He isn't Constitution Hill but he compares favourably with most of the other champions of the last thirty years.

Gaelic Warrior, Corbett's Cross and Ballyburn put up imense performances. Fact to File did the business without being flashy.

Who couldn't but be delighted for Rachael & Henry with both Slade Steel and Captain Guinness.

Grey Dawning, Teahupoo, Protektorat and Inothewayurthinkin all very impressive on Thursday.

Close finishes in the Plate, and the County and Pipe Hurdles.

A couple of wins for the small trainers with Jeremy Scott and Fiona Needham.

And an outstanding Gold Cup winner.

Other than the unfortunate abscence of most of Henderson's best horses, I thought that it had everything.

Here here, Eamon. I enjoyed the racing too. There was quite literally not a day or a race that I didn't enjoy (apart from El Fab's fall).

It's become a trendy thing to knock the Festival. I thought getting round the place was the most comfortable it's been in years. The price of food and drink is comparable to any other regular sporting and music event (expensive, but why would Cheltenham be cheaper), I had a table and a seat each day, and I had a seat in the grandstand on the finishing line with great views. If I wasn't fortunate to be in the position I'm in I'd have been perfectly content watching from the grandstand steps, as I did for many years.

There were also less races with less than 8 runners than we've had a for a few years, but apparently racing is less competitive? Where racing is less competitive is through Trainers and Owners. The majority of the best horses are bought and housed at Mullins and Elliott's yards. Despite that though, we still saw winners from many more yards. 4 winners for Dan Skelton, 3 for Gordon Elliott, 2 for Henry De Bromhead and Gavin Cromwell, and individual winners for Kim Bailey, Joseph O'Brien, Emmet Mullins, Paul Nicholls, Ben Pauling, Gavin Cromwell. And significantly, winners for Jeremy Scott and Fiona Needham, who proved that the dream is still alive for the small outfits.

Willie Mullins had his usual bonanza, but that's hardly a new thing. And also hardly surprising given year after year he is essentially getting first pick of horses from Ireland and France. Gordon Elliott is essentially buying up every P2P horse that Willie doesn't want for 300-500k. Henderson and Nicholls still have a small number of owners prepared to put their hands into deep pockets. And De Bromhead gets really good money spent primarily from Robcour. Then the rest of the training fraternity have to do as well as they can from whatever scraps those four don't buy. I'd say that both Skelton and Cromwell in particular of the rest are punching well above their weight compared to the average cost of horses bought. And for someone like Jeremy Scott to have a winner and beat the Mullins and Elliott 'good things' was just wonderful to see.

The bottom line though is that if those top horses were more evenly distributed, then we would have more horses from different yards worth their place in the Graded races. As it is Mullins, Elliott, De Bromhead, and even Henderson are able to put genuine graded novices into the handicaps to dominate those too. Any perceived lack of competitiveness or numbers is largely due to that. Why should owners just send there horses for a day out. I wouldn't. And therein lies the problem. The trouble is people want to fix the problem by changing the wrong things without understanding the blindingly obvious think that is causing the problem in the first place. Scrapping races or continually changing them isn't the answer. Without solving the bigger problem we'll just end up with a series of shoot outs between Mullins and Elliott horses anyway.

People also point at Cheltenham suggesting they're fleecing people. It's not true. Some things are very expensive such as hospitality and dining. But no more so than anywhere else. Anyone been on a hospitality package to Twickenham or Wembley? Or to any other main arena. Anyone been to a Festival or a Concert? By comparison Cheltenham is at the lower end of the scale. The racecourse still needs future investment though. There are parts of the course that are now beginning to look particularly tired. Specifically in the facilities in the main Grandstand. Some of them are now very 70's and 80's and need significant investment. That's not going to come from dropping ticket prices, and selling drinks at working mens club prices. Upgraded facilities comes at a cost, and enhancing the raceday experience also come at that cost.

There's a lot of blurring of lines is going on with regards how expensive it is, and they blame Cheltenham. People talk about the cost of the Festival, but the Racecourse can only be responsible for their own bit. Accomodation in around Cheltenham is supply and demand and therefore expensive. I stayed in a Premier Inn in Stratford On Avon for a few years at a regular cost for that hotel, so there are reasonable and plentiful alternatives. People don't have to eat at the course. I never do. I eat well in the morning and then eat good food at night. Drinking alcohol is a choice. There's plenty of parking away from the course if you're prepared to walk a not unreasonable distance. I do. Going to the Festival is as expensive as people want to make it. Or it can be done perfectly reasonably too. Ticket prices vary from 50 something to low 100's, which by comparison to any alternative sport or music event is hardly excessive. Everything else above that cost is about choice.

Quite frankly the knocking of Cheltenham has become incredibly boring. Does everything really need such a major overhaul? I'm not convinced it does. Numbers are down because people are feeling the pinch. We're in a recession. When people don't have the money to spend they can't justify a major cost outside daily living. It's as as simple as that. But for others, rather than cut back on money spent while there, or even just reduce the number of days attended, it seems people prefer to moan and complain, and blame Cheltenham. They can't be to blame that inflation has spiralled out of control over the last couple of years, and everyone's spending power is less. All their staff are paid more accordingly. The cost of everything they buy has gone up proportionately. The cost of lighting and heating the place has gone through the roof. The list will be endless. It's just unrealistic to expect anything to cost anything like what it did just a couple of years ago.

As has been pointed out, many people watch at home, go to their local, or even hop on a plane and play golf in Spain. But the reality is there's not a whole lot Cheltenham can do about that. If someone can't afford it I fully understand them not going. If they can, then I don't. It's the finest four days racing of the year. The overall experience of the place is no worst that on par for any other major sporting event you could attend. Going to Cheltenham for a day is the equivalent of going to the Olympic 100m final, The FA Cup Final, The Champions League Final, The Rugby World Cup Final, Superbowl, The Masters, etc, etc, etc. And Cheltenham is a fraction of the cost of any of them by comparison. I've been to a few of them, and I can also categorically say that my overall experience was no better. And anyway I'd much rather watch what I did last week than any of those.

Here here, Eamon. I enjoyed the racing too. There was quite literally not a day or a race that I didn't enjoy (apart from El Fab's fall).

It's become a trendy thing to knock the Festival. I thought getting round the place was the most comfortable it's been in years. The price of food and drink is comparable to any other regular sporting and music event (expensive, but why would Cheltenham be cheaper), I had a table and a seat each day, and I had a seat in the grandstand on the finishing line with great views. If I wasn't fortunate to be in the position I'm in I'd have been perfectly content watching from the grandstand steps, as I did for many years.

There were also less races with less than 8 runners than we've had a for a few years, but apparently racing is less competitive? Where racing is less competitive is through Trainers and Owners. The majority of the best horses are bought and housed at Mullins and Elliott's yards. Despite that though, we still saw winners from many more yards. 4 winners for Dan Skelton, 3 for Gordon Elliott, 2 for Henry De Bromhead and Gavin Cromwell, and individual winners for Kim Bailey, Joseph O'Brien, Emmet Mullins, Paul Nicholls, Ben Pauling, Gavin Cromwell. And significantly, winners for Jeremy Scott and Fiona Needham, who proved that the dream is still alive for the small outfits.

Willie Mullins had his usual bonanza, but that's hardly a new thing. And also hardly surprising given year after year he is essentially getting first pick of horses from Ireland and France. Gordon Elliott is essentially buying up every P2P horse that Willie doesn't want for 300-500k. Henderson and Nicholls still have a small number of owners prepared to put their hands into deep pockets. And De Bromhead gets really good money spent primarily from Robcour. Then the rest of the training fraternity have to do as well as they can from whatever scraps those four don't buy. I'd say that both Skelton and Cromwell in particular of the rest are punching well above their weight compared to the average cost of horses bought. And for someone like Jeremy Scott to have a winner and beat the Mullins and Elliott 'good things' was just wonderful to see.

The bottom line though is that if those top horses were more evenly distributed, then we would have more horses from different yards worth their place in the Graded races. As it is Mullins, Elliott, De Bromhead, and even Henderson are able to put genuine graded novices into the handicaps to dominate those too. Any perceived lack of competitiveness or numbers is largely due to that. Why should owners just send there horses for a day out. I wouldn't. And therein lies the problem. The trouble is people want to fix the problem by changing the wrong things without understanding the blindingly obvious think that is causing the problem in the first place. Scrapping races or continually changing them isn't the answer. Without solving the bigger problem we'll just end up with a series of shoot outs between Mullins and Elliott horses anyway.

People also point at Cheltenham suggesting they're fleecing people. It's not true. Some things are very expensive such as hospitality and dining. But no more so than anywhere else. Anyone been on a hospitality package to Twickenham or Wembley? Or to any other main arena. Anyone been to a Festival or a Concert? By comparison Cheltenham is at the lower end of the scale. The racecourse still needs future investment though. There are parts of the course that are now beginning to look particularly tired. Specifically in the facilities in the main Grandstand. Some of them are now very 70's and 80's and need significant investment. That's not going to come from dropping ticket prices, and selling drinks at working mens club prices. Upgraded facilities comes at a cost, and enhancing the raceday experience also come at that cost.

There's a lot of blurring of lines is going on with regards how expensive it is, and they blame Cheltenham. People talk about the cost of the Festival, but the Racecourse can only be responsible for their own bit. Accomodation in around Cheltenham is supply and demand and therefore expensive. I stayed in a Premier Inn in Stratford On Avon for a few years at a regular cost for that hotel, so there are reasonable and plentiful alternatives. People don't have to eat at the course. I never do. I eat well in the morning and then eat good food at night. Drinking alcohol is a choice. There's plenty of parking away from the course if you're prepared to walk a not unreasonable distance. I do. Going to the Festival is as expensive as people want to make it. Or it can be done perfectly reasonably too. Ticket prices vary from 50 something to low 100's, which by comparison to any alternative sport or music event is hardly excessive. Everything else above that cost is about choice.

Quite frankly the knocking of Cheltenham has become incredibly boring. Does everything really need such a major overhaul? I'm not convinced it does. Numbers are down because people are feeling the pinch. We're in a recession. When people don't have the money to spend they can't justify a major cost outside daily living. It's as as simple as that. But for others, rather than cut back on money spent while there, or even just reduce the number of days attended, it seems people prefer to moan and complain, and blame Cheltenham. They can't be to blame that inflation has spiralled out of control over the last couple of years, and everyone's spending power is less. All their staff are paid more accordingly. The cost of everything they buy has gone up proportionately. The cost of lighting and heating the place has gone through the roof. The list will be endless. It's just unrealistic to expect anything to cost anything like what it did just a couple of years ago.

As has been pointed out, many people watch at home, go to their local, or even hop on a plane and play golf in Spain. But the reality is there's not a whole lot Cheltenham can do about that. If someone can't afford it I fully understand them not going. If they can, then I don't. It's the finest four days racing of the year. The overall experience of the place is no worst that on par for any other major sporting event you could attend. Going to Cheltenham for a day is the equivalent of going to the Olympic 100m final, The FA Cup Final, The Champions League Final, The Rugby World Cup Final, Superbowl, The Masters, etc, etc, etc. And Cheltenham is a fraction of the cost of any of them by comparison. I've been to a few of them, and I can also categorically say that my overall experience was no better. And anyway I'd much rather watch what I did last week than any of those.

Several things I’d agree with there but on hospitality I know of several companies and businesses that have had tables at Cheltenham in previous years but decided not to this year as it’s become too expensive. Those companies and businesses are continuing to entertain but are looking elsewhere including at Twickenham and Wembley

Obviously the entertainment at Cheltenham lasts for several hours but that’s also true for Twickenham (the last time I went anyway) with junior/women’s games being played and they put on a curry after the game with a couple of players speaking.

A fair proportion of corporate guests don’t want to stick around for the full afternoon’s racing anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ticket prices vary from 50 something to low 100's, which by comparison to any alternative sport or music event is hardly excessive.

... even just reduce the number of days attended, ...

There's the rub.

A concert, cup final, etc, is a one-off, one day event.

You then need to multiply that by four to get what it costs to attend Cheltenham plus accommodation, which even a £79 Travelodge room becomes £400 for five nights room-only. I would imagine large percentages of Cheltenham-goers at least want to be there for all four days but I would imagine even someone earning £100kpa would baulk at the total cost.

On top of that, you also need to allow for a betting bank to cover the four days. Between travel, accommodation, sustenance - even restricting it to off-course - entry and betting money, you're probably looking at a bare minimum of about £2000 per person. And, let's face it, you aren't guaranteed a good experience. If You're going to a concert, the chances are you're going to see an act you will be fairly confident will serve up what you want. A cup final might well not but it's really just the price of the ticket and travel that are the issues there.

I would love to be able to experience the festival at least once in my life, if only just to day I've done it but I'm not convinced I could justify such a massive outlay on such an indulgence.

Last edited:

Going racing is all about having a bet, at least 95% are there for a gamble

Can you tell me how much betting money you need when you go to Wembley, Twickenham, Lords, Silverstone?

Point i'm making is, when you go racing you have the added cost of betting money as part of the experience, no other sporting event has that

Ive just read that they've frozen ticket prices for next year so you can expect an extra £1 on the price of a pint

People voted with their feet this year and just didn't bother

Back