Jockey News

From RP

HENRY BROOKE was airlifted to hospital with a suspected collapsed lung on Saturday after a fall at Hexham.

Brooke's mount Old Storm fell at the second fence in the 2m4f novice handicap chase, after which the rider was put into an induced coma before being transferred to Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle around two hours after the race had taken place.
Brooke was in the front rank on the Brian Ellison-trained seven-year-old when he fell and was struck by a leg of one of the horses in behind.
Speaking on Sunday morning, the rider's agent Richard Hale said: "I heard last night they were leaving him in his coma. They'd obviously induced it but they were going to leave him there overnight but I haven't heard anything more this morning.
"I think he had fluid on his lung and they had been draining that off but that's the last I heard. They induced him just before they took him away from the track."

Racegoers were initially informed the air ambulance would be arriving, but were then told Brooke would be taken to hospital in a road ambulance instead.
However, medics decided against the road option and waited for the air ambulance. Clerk of the course James Armstrong explained: "The air ambulance is assigned on a priority basis, and a road ambulance was sent, but they said they were not going to move him on the road."
Racing resumed an hour and three-quarters behind schedule, with officials aiming to stage each race subsequent race as quickly as possible.
The concluding bumper, originally scheduled for 5.10, took place as the sun was setting at 6.15pm.

Latest on Henry Brooke from the BBC:

Jockey Henry Brooke has been brought out of an induced coma following a fall at a Hexham racecourse on Saturday."He's had a much more comfortable day and has regained consciousness which is fantastic news," a statement from the Injured Jockeys' Fund read.
"The doctors are pleased with his progress."
Brooke, 25, is believed to have broken his collarbone and suffered a suspected collapsed lung when riding Old Storm in a novices' handicap chase.
Racing was delayed for almost two hours as medical staff treated Brooke in the wake of his mount's fall and a kick from another horse, before he was taken to hospital.

Hexham has a history of lousy injuries for jockeys.
Tommy Stack broke his pelvis there in a parade ring incident in 1977 /78 that hastened his retirement though he came back to win Whitbread on Strombolus.
Did Ryan Mania not have a dicey injury there the day after winning Grand National on Aurora's Encore.
Now this; it puts the hex in Hexham for sure.
Apologies if i have branded the racecourse incorrectly in any way here; these thoughts just off my head without full research.
very best wishes to Henry and indeed to Bryan Cooper who had a horrible fall yesterday.

Henry Brooke reported to be in "in good spirits" after emerging from coma. Has 11 broken ribs and a broken shoulder blade.

From RP

SAM TWISTON-DAVIES was on Monday resigning himself to a precautionary week in hospital after it emerged a Chepstow fall on Sunday had left one of the sport's top riders with spleen problems.

Paul Nicholls' stable jockey was initially reported to have bruising to the stomach following the fatal accident suffered by his mount One More Go at Chepstow's penultimate flight.
Twiston-Davies was stood down by the racecourse doctor but then felt well enough to go home. However, he became poorly later in the day and was admitted to hospital in Gloucester, where father Nigel on Monday visited him and confirmed his son could spend the rest of the week under observation.
He said: "I went to see him this morning and he was okay but obviously he's fed up as he's not the sort of lad who finds it easy to spend a few days in hospital.
"He has damaged his spleen but they don't think it will have to come out.
"He needs to stay in hospital for the moment in case there's a bleed, but there are no broken bones."
Twiston-Davies, who missed out on two winners for Nicholls later on the Chepstow card, has partnered 70 winners so far this season, leaving him 12 victories behind leader and defending champion Richard Johnson.

With the ammunition at his disposal?

He could handpick his rides and ride at the top level for another 5 years

I also heard him say he wants to ride longer than AP lasted for

38 next year with a serious back catalogue of injuries.Will want to retire without further serious injury or a notable decline in his ability-I'd say Ted will tell him to walk away under his own steam.

Big congrats to Jim Crowley on becoming flat champion.
Rode for something like 163 trainers this season.
Still p'''''d off with him for taking things too easy on Missunited in Ascot Gold Cup a few years ago ( he only got 5 days when Joseph got 9 ), that 50/1 would have been lovely.

Back