Kauto Star RIP

Upset yes. Plenty of people with varying degrees of involvement are upset at the news. To deliberately comment like he does? - really not the time.

Upset yes. Plenty of people with varying degrees of involvement are upset at the news. To deliberately comment like he does? - really not the time.

I know what you mean but it's maybe not the time to read too much into the sub text either, it's about the horse not the people around him to me.

Which is exactly what I was getting at with my original comment. Neither the time nor the place ( and probably not accurate reporting either!!!)
Like him or not, he was a fantastic horse that people of all types, horsey/bettingy or even just "normal" could appreciate.

Last edited:
Which is exactly what I was getting at with my original comment. Neither the time nor the place ( and probably not accurate reporting either!!!)
Like him or not, he was a fantastic horse that people of all types, horsey/bettingy or even just "normal" could appreciate.

I think I've just found my new favourite word :D

He certainly was.

mighty champion horse
at kempton impossible to beat
and almost impossible to find a horse with the speed to win a Tingle Creek and stamina to win a Gold Cup against top class oposition in a course not to suit.
Backed also by huge figures.
A dream horse!!

Regardless of how the relationship between Smith and P Nicholls is it's a shame if Clifford Baker didn't get the chance to see the horse before he was PTS.

A giant among all other jump horses I have seen. Brave, bold, quick and the best jumper of a fence I have ever seen. That Betfair? I cried with excitement and joy on a Saturday afternoon, alone in my house, without a penny on. I'll never forget that day. At least we were spared seeing him die on a racecourse: the 2010 GC was a close-run thing, and Ruby doing the right thing pulling him up in the 2012 GC spring to mind.

He was the one horse I shuffled closer to the edge of my seat for, whenever he ran.

RIP, the greatest.

Regardless of how the relationship between Smith and P Nicholls is it's a shame if Clifford Baker didn't get the chance to see the horse before he was PTS.

Have to agree somewhat with this - obviously the owner has the right to do whatever he wants, but it would have been a nice touch and probably would have gone some way to healing whatever rift lies between the different parties. Looks like it wasn't even the owner who contacted them, but rather Laura Collett.

The atmosphere at Cheltenham when he won his second gold cup was the best I have experienced anywhere, ever. RIP Kauto.

If the statements I've just read , which appear to be from a genuine source, are true, someone's going to be in deep sh*t.

The veterinary report, as published in the RP, makes for sickening reading. Methinks we haven't heard the end of this by a long chalk.

Can't help but agree. I skimmed the RP article but it was the bit that stood out like a sore thumb.

RIP Kauto, you will always be the King.

I'm no expert Dan, but those were pretty extensive injuries to incur from something like falling over from a walk - then again, it might be possible? I don't know

Last edited:
I'm no expert either Warbler. You could be right but I'd have thought a field with a fence on the perimeter would be pretty harmless.

Mad isn't it how a horse can jump hundreds if not more obstacles in races and schooling throughout a racing career for this to happen in semi-retirement.

What do we think happened then, if there is more to it than reported? Foul play? Someone decided to do an impromptu bit of cross country schooling and had a fall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure the truth will come out in the end. There is a lot being spouted in various places, I'm now up to four different things and it's mad.

At the end of the day, we've lost probably the best national hunt horse of a generation and we should be celebrating his life.

I still can't believe that it's happened. I spent most of his career worrying that he'd fall and injure himself.

Back