Kieren Fallon

I was shocked by the "Fallon Week" ad in Sundays paper. All I could think was will Thursday be "Top Cees" day

It's not what their all reporting you want to worry about. If the vast majority of this case was behind closed doors, as it seems was the case from start to finish, it's what is not in public domain which I'd say is more of a concern.

Presumably he'll be on Youmzain in the Arc given that he rides him in Germany on sunday. Took 6s awhile back on him placing. Looking good.

Presumably he'll be on Youmzain in the Arc given that he rides him in Germany on sunday. Took 6s awhile back on him placing. Looking good.

I'll have a lumpy each way bet on Youmzain for the Arc, and may follow you by trying to get on place only.

It's absolutely ridiculous, he's being covered like a returning war hero not a cokehead who was put in front of a court for fraud of which all the other defendants have been banned from the sport.

This is what happens during slow news weeks/months. Over in the real world the same thing is happening with this Al-Megrahi fella. No one really gives a shit, but I suppose something has to be the lead.

What I found particularily bad on his part is his attitude towards his so called "Gap Year" the bit of a laugh with no real work. You know the job that everyone in racing does and puts people like him on horses. Strocking his own ego again.

All Falloned out of it at this stage...I cannot wait till he bloody rides a few horses because I am sick to my teeth of hearing about him returning. Front page of the Racing Post tonight is so full of Fallon arse licking that there is not one article regarding the Irish Champion this weekend....talk about focusing on the positives.

I think the 6/4 Hills had on offer this afternoon about his first ride back being a winner is a huge trade, already being backed at odds-on on Betfair, you've got to think his agent will have him on the best horse in the race after all this. Watch the High Standing price for the Sprint Cup collapse by the hour......

It's absolutely ridiculous, he's being covered like a returning war hero not a cokehead who was put in front of a court for fraud of which all the other defendants have been banned from the sport.

Can't remember any racing figure as polarising as Fallon (though some of the older members may set me straight!). People tend to lurch from praising him to high heaven as a returning hero of sorts to going overboard and dismissing him as a 'cokehead'.

The coverage certainly reached saturation point a while ago anyway.

Last edited:
It's no more ridiculous than people proclaiming he's going to save racing's reputation and it's what the public will want to fire up interest in the sport again.

To draw parallels with other walks of life, Pete Doherty was called all the names under the sun in the media at the height of his misdemeanors and rightly so but he was also very talented in his own right at his peak. If he made a huge "I'm clean and feel great" comeback now, he'd get slated left right and centre and be labelled a cokehead amongst other things.

Fallon's riding should do the talking and nothing else. I hope he does do well and stays clean but to talk of him challenging for championships next year before he's ridden in a race this year is obscene.

Look at it from the outsiders point of view. Perhaps someone who goes racing once a year and has the occasional bet.

Whats his perception of Fallon, fair or unfair?

It is of a jockey who is always in the Sundays hanging around with some tinpot gangster or thick south london scrap metal dealer. That is the image that the wider public have.

And the wider public might wonder why racing is falling over itself to welcome back such a character (fair assumption or not) and wonder exactly what sort of game this racing lark is?

And the wider public might just think "not for me"

The publicity should have been minimal and he should have quietly crept back in. Gal is right that is an absolute disgrace that the RP considers the countdown to this supposed heros return more important than one of the years top races

The RP just sent their Friday mail.

IT'S been a week for holding the breath, first for the return of Kieren Fallon, secondly in waiting to learn whether (or should that be weather?) the season's defining racehorse, Sea The Stars, will run tomorrow at Leopardstown. Fallon returns at 2.20pm this afternoon, ending three years since he rode in Britain, whereas a decision is awaited on Sea The Stars' appearance in the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes.
What is for sure is that one of the season's defining sprints, the Group 1 Betfred Sprint Cup at Haydock, takes place tomorrow and could go a long way to determining the identity of Europe's champion sprinter of 2009.
Such is Fallon's allure that he has obtained the ride on the favourite, High Standing, who must fend off July Cup heroine Fleeting Spirit among others. Pricewise will wave his magic wand over the runners in tomorrow's paper as part of our power-packed Saturday tipping team.
Add that to our special reports and pictures on the drama and excitement of Fallon's return, and the long week of waiting will have been worth it.

It's beyond incredible what the focus of this mail is, and more pertinently, is not :rolleyes:

Good on yer Hayley,let's see if ATR can actually give the winner some credit rather than rattle on about Fallon like they have been doing.

Get Matt Chapman on his reasoning and excuses as to why and he said Mac was talking rubbish about if he had stayed on the rail or not. Please.

Shock horror as jockey can ride a horse.

Lets stop all this rubbish about Fallon's return. The press should have just let him come back and 3 years from now (after he's proved that he's a reformed character) started all this "Fallon defeats adversity" stuff.

Back