King George (Ascot)

Fair point about Cape Blanco and the performances by Youmzain and Daryakana suggest the form holds up though but one has to say Workforce has run way below form even compared to York.

Richard Hughes is no doubt wishing he had not resisted the overtures to stay with Youmie but the old boy is sure to go well again in the Arc .

Ground too fast for Workforce ? Was it not considerably faster at Epsom ?

Last edited:
Well done to everyone on here who talked him up since April.Mind you whoever has him at evens for the Arc needs shooting.

Impressive performance but I'd like to see him run to that level elsewhere before utter endless superlatives.

I appreciate he's won well elsewhere before but horses do have a tendency of being flattered by winning at Ascot.

Betfred go 6/4 for the Arc, which is the most laughable price of all time.

Edit: Evens with Hills for the Arc.

Last edited:
The way he took the field apart in the Hardwicke and how well the horses behind have run since made it clear he was a G1 performer . Now it is plain that he is an awesome animal.

Impressive performance but I'd like to see him run to that level elsewhere before utter endless superlatives.

I appreciate he's won well elsewhere before but horses do have a tendency of being flattered by winning at Ascot.

Betfred go 6/4 for the Arc, which is the most laughable price of all time.

think you being a bit hard Stan..not sure how you can be flattered by winning here tbh

Still annoyed he got beat in the Voltigeur to be honest. I personally think he'd be opposable if he ran in the Arc where I'm very much with Planteur and F&G.

I have been a fan since seeing him in the paddock at the craven meeting but although I was more than prepared to see him win today I would never have expected it to be by 11 lengths.

Shergaresque !

Last edited:
Ascot is a funny old course where course form is very important.

I'd not give up on Workforce and likewise, I'd not get carried away with Harbinger.

I think Mr Johnson has been doing a particularly terrible job of hiding his enthusiasm since the John Porter. Well played.

Still annoyed he got beat in the Voltigeur to be honest. I personally think he'd be opposable if he ran in the Arc where I'm very much with Planteur and F&G.

I just cant see FAG as an Arc horse. You surely need a horse with a turn of foot.

but although I was more than prepared to see him win today I would never have expected it to be by 11 lengths.

But it's so tough to be faithful under the weight:D of all the hype for Workforce. Not just the horse but the WFA nonsense. I topped up at 5.2 on the machine before the off but had over a ton on the favourite as cover last week.

True it is very hard when a jockey who is such a good judge as Moore doesn't think twice about staying with Workforce .

I wish however journalists had longer memories - " we haven't seen anything so impressive in years " - Sea The Stars ffs !.

Workforce clearly did not run to form - Cape Blanco beats him by further than he did at York( with a slipped bit ) but the line with Jan Vermeer and Midas Touch shows that Workforce was well below form.

Last edited:
Cape Blanco ran a good race considering how far out he started taking on Workforce.Probably a better horse then Workforce.

Awesome performance - what's more he finished full of running despite the blitz.

Took an age for the rest of the field to pass the pacemaker.

Harbinger is remarkable though. He's produced a career best with each and every run this season, the form of the Hardwicke was well up to Gr1 standard and today puts him into a very special league.

Workforce got cover in the Derby but didn't get it today in a small field (or at York, for that matter) and the consequence was he got into a duel with Cape Blanco which did neither of them any favours. He's still an inexperienced horse who must learn to settle, but even his Derby run wouldn't have been enough today.

Confront is a very good G3 group performer on his day and I suspect he really enjoyed making the running - he isn't a Set Sail .

As well as Workforce running way below the only things that perhaps put what I think was a spectacular and brilliant performance in a bit of perspective are as follows:

Youmzain ran a good race but past performances tend to suggest he is 7-10lb better at Longchamp in October than at Ascot in July.

Daryakana is a good filly but she has not looked as good this year as last and she is no Zarkava.

Back