King George Chase

How can you explain no mistake over a fence for approx 1000 days going right handed but numerous mistakes going left handed?

You're choosing a point immediately after where he made mistakes going right-handed as the cut off. Don't you think you're being a tad selective?

He has made mistakes going both ways. He has put in flawless rounds of jumping going both ways.

Forget about his results going left handed his class has got him out of sticky situations.

You can prove anything when you choose to forget about evidence to the contrary.

Also it is clear that 3 miles is his optimum trip.

And in the only two races he's run over 3 miles where he went right-handed and was under any pressure he either made mistakes or drifted left (his two King Georges).

Kauto will win the King George, many people have been against this horse throughout his career and I can only assume done there money laying or backing against him. Something by the sounds of things that many people will be doing again. Not me I will be collecting again. Thanks very much Kauto.

It's a shame you have to resort to that kind of comment, but you're free to use the search function to find out my views on Kauto over the last couple of years. It's all there.

Glad to hear it - for the record, this time last year I was defending Kauto when another poster claimed he wasn't that special because all he'd beaten was handicappers :)

He made an awful lot of errors in the first half of the race today, Gal - at a time when they weren't even going the pace of the novices in the Henry VIII.

If I'd backed TB ante-post for the King George, I'd be worried.

I thought his run was a textbook example of a horse needing further, but that certainly doesn't mean he's good enough to win a King George.

another stat for you Arial

KS's form in December reads 11111

definately a peak month

I like it EC1. Another positive !!!

Seriously though I think his mid race high cruising speed will see these away and it appears Ruby will definately be back.

Any outsiders taking your eye? Only one I could possibly put up against Kauto if someone put a gun to my head would be Our Vic it appears DP has finally ironed out his tempramental issues and always thought a lot of this horse. Still 14s with Bet Direct and SJames.

If Kauto Star turns up in top form that is no doubt he will win another King George, no one is disputing that.

But the fact that he loves Kempton, loves December and going right handed will mean nothing if he is fundamentally not the horse he was.

Some quotes from Clive Smith

Owner Clive Smith reports Kauto Star to be bang on course in his bid to win the Stan James King George VI Chase at Kempton for the third successive year.

The 2007 Cheltenham Gold Cup hero has lost the aura of invincibility that was so evident a couple of seasons ago, and the doubters were out in force after he unseated Sam Thomas at the final fence in the Betfair Chase at Haydock last month.

However, Smith says his charge is none the worse for that spill and has warned the media and punters alike it would be dangerous to write him off.

"Kauto is fine and he came out of the Betfair with no problems," he said. "Paul (Nicholls) says he's in good form and it's all systems go for the King George.

"This has always been his main aim for the start of the season and it is really the early-season championship.

"It's a certain type of track which obviously suits him and let's hope he can win it. It will then be a long lay-off and the big build-up to the Gold Cup back at Cheltenham begins again.

"I've seen a few people are doubting him, but let them doubt him, I think he will show everyone a good performance at Kempton."

Our Vic seems to have had the classic Pipe treatment but with one horse declared at Cheltenham this Sat are the string OK?. I know MDB won the big one but where the hell are the 100+ horses near enough half wa through the season?

I will back OV and Tamarinbleu though coz I couldnt stand another MDB feeling :(

trabolgan comeback this weekend.provided he runs well i would be tempted to have punt on him at what will be a decent eachway pice.

Any further update on Hobbs Hill SL?

Briareus confirmed by Andrew Balding - seems to be more due to the wishes of the owners.

Not that I know of - haven't asked anyone to be honest. I do know that HH is entered at Ascot on Saturday, if he runs we can safely assume he's not going the KG route.

Latest confirmation stage:

Air Force One (GER)
Albertas Run (IRE)
Briareus
Exotic Dancer (FR)
Imperial Commander
Kauto Star (FR)
Mont Misere (FR)
Our Vic (IRE)
Snoopy Loopy (IRE)
Tamarinbleu (FR)
Voy Por Ustedes (FR)
War of Attrition (IRE)

I think Briareus could well surprise a few.

I read a couple of days ago in the RP that Edgy was leaning towards running Hobbs Hill at Cheltenham over the New Year, Hamm.

Another Wilson no hoper I see (that has already been tailed off in the Peterborough).

By the looks of it though the horse won't be rated high enough for the Gold Cup so no doubt some other nag will be brought over to run in that.

Looks like it'll be Wetherby for Tidal Bay then.
Looks on paper quite a strong renewal of the Roland Meyrick.

Voy Por would be the selection for me.

I backed Alberta's Run at 210 (smidgen of 220), in the hope that he regains a bit of sparkle, and I can trade out in-running.

I really want to see Kauto Star get the treble up though.

Back