King George VI And QE Stakes

I wonder if they're as happy with their decision now. I don't think Moore would have hit the front as early as Peslier did.

Bollox, tbh. Moore can't ride one side of Papal Bull, he has proved it on many times. Peslier not knowing him got him running. Next year is when Papal Bull wins a big one, and thats because the only jockey who can ride him will be back and will be number one at Stoutes.

For the record, I believe that Peslier gave Papal Bull a wonderful ride ~ anyone who reckons he came too soon are aftertiming on a huge level.

i was counting the winnings Venusian

he isn't the most resolute...needs puttting in front about 20yds from the line

reckon OP may have thought DOM would run out of stamina so leaving PB without the need to battle..I did

I'd like to see John Egan on Youmzain

Tony Culhane is back, and rode him in his early races to great success, I think he'll be back on board soon. I know that Channon wants him to be his number 1 but Tony wont come down south, I do hope he changes his mind, as I rate Tony as one of the best jockeys around.

sorry Gal

but seeing as I had backed the 2nd..and it did look the winner...I have to think what might have been

winner is very gutsy as said

the thing is though..if PB is not a G1 horse..as a few on here think... ..then form is worth nowt

I thought I was going to collect, but Papal Bull didn't really fancy it very much, did he?

I can't see any way you could say that - whether by the side on view or the head on, the horse neither raises his head nor veers off his line
He may have thought he'd won as horses at that level rarely get back up when headed.

Agreed blinkers would be interesting on PB; and agreed Hughes did give Youmzain a poor ride, esp in letting DOM get out in front of him! It was taking the assumed instructions of 'sticking to his backside' a little literally!!

Gal I was first to say, the best horse won, but on terms of improvement, Papal Bull has technically run the best race as he has improved out of all recognition.

He was beat by a better horse, end of story and I don't think he would have won had he waited, I actually think you need to keep going when you get Papal Bull going as if you eased up on him, he would say thank you very much. I disagree with pulling himself up in front, he's never bloody be affraid to go clear at home, so in my opinion thats just the words of a sore loser.

The winner pulled it out the bag when he looked beat, the sign of a champion and a Champion he is. I was firmly wrong as I underated the winner, however I got a nice payday in 2nd and 3rd, but never in a million years if you ran this race ten times over, would you get a different outcome, different distances maybe but the best horse won, the 2nd best horse was 2nd and the 3rd best horse was 3rd.

Phoenix Tower, Youmzain and now Papal Bull (with blinkers)...Chris keep finding horses to oppose Duke Of Marmalade with and you'll be in the poor house soon.

Take a look at the race again, DOM goes a couple clear without Murtagh going for the whip. Murtagh only went for the whip after Papal Bull went past. I would have him to beat Papal Bull and the rest every day of the week. This is an exceptional racehorse who actually looked to be carrying a bit of condition in the parade ring.

the thing is though..if PB is not a G1 horse..as a few on here think... ..then form is worth nowt

The form is well below normal KG standards and I see the winner at 8.2 for the Arc. Should be a 1 before the 8. He stays 12f but is patently not quite as good over that trip.

you are probably right Chris, when a horse pulls more out like that they never know when they are beat...rare quality

will take a good un to beat him tbh

DOM really dug deep there and found more when Papal Bull got up on him.

I thought if Papal Bull had kept a little wide rather than follow DOM over to the rail he might have nicked it.

Surely a career best effort for Papal Bull

Fair enough Chris.

As for Youmzain, I actually thought Youmzain went wrong early in the race, did not realise he had that sort of action.

The Duke of Marmalade "fightback" coincided with Peslier taking corrective action to stop Papal Bull squashing DoM into the fence. Had he done nothing he'd have been awarded a short holiday to celebrate his victory.

Peslier just reported as saying he 'should have waited longer'

Like I said, Murtagh had not gone for Duke Of Marmalade when PB came to him.

If he had of waited longer people would have been moaning about him not testing Duke Of Marmalade's stamina etc.

Back