King George VI Chase

Out of interest, does anyone know *if* the race is run Monday, will Sunday's tickets be honoured then?

Best bet is to check the kempton website

RACING - with regard to the William Hill Winter Festival on 26 & 27 December we are doing everything we can to ensure that all our race meetings go ahead this week and remain optimistic that we will be racing.

What do we reckon then? Very cold this morning – all of that thawing slush has frozen back to ice. But the sun is out at last. Inspection midday.
...I suppose Monday is looking favourite now (...if then).

Very sunny in Brighton right now, but what you've said is the problem, Steve: daytime thaw followed by a freezing night, so the slush becomes hardened to ice by the next morning, and on it goes in that cycle.

I nearly came down a couple of times on my way to work this morning with no big fences to negotiate and I have to look after myself these days (…few others will).

KG switched to Monday... let's hope it goes ahead.

2pm inspection tomorrow.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed it goes ahead. Just come back from work to a "Kautograph". Didn't know about it when I brought my tickets way back, so that made me smile!

Bookmakers William Hill have said that if the race is reopened, all ante-post bets made before midday on December 20 will stand. Any bets made after that time will be void

Is this the case with all firms?

Is it not mad that they are moving the race to 15 Jan?? Are they just trying to be clever and save putting on a raceday which won't be as well attended as if it was on 26th?

Why couldn't they have the race this Saturday? If this sort of weather is going to be the norm from now on then surely alternative race dates and how they are worked out will have to be looked at.

I think they may be trying to avoid a clash with Cheltenham and then the Welsh National, Euro - and also boost sales for their mid-January meeting. If the KGC was sent elsewhere, the other track would get the money.

Wonder how many of the originally-declared horses will turn out for the race in its new slot?

Last edited:
Fail to see the problem with running it on Jan 15th. Apparently william hills (rightly) believe it should be at the course rather than sandown (as in 95) and its not as if many runners will be doing much before march anyway (righly or wrongly)

Pity they couldnt have resscheduled this week but it simply isnt getting any warmer yet

I think they may be trying to avoid a clash with Cheltenham and then the Welsh National, Euro - and also boost sales for their mid-January meeting. If the KGC was sent elsewhere, the other track would get the money.

Wonder how many of the originally-declared horses will turn out for the race in its new slot?
They're not doing a great job of avoiding other 3m Chases with Haydock's Peter Marsh the following Saturday and Cheltenham's Cotswold Chase the week after.

Once Kempton called off the race on the Sunday the BHA should have moved to stage the race at the most suitable opportunity - ie. Kempton on Monday or failing that Newbury later in the week.

It would clearly have clashed with what Redhead's said, and so would the 8th (clash with Sandown again). I know the old 50-mile rule's long gone, but it would only have people mumping again if they'd run it up against Sandown's close-enough competing meeting. The best jocks can't be at both Cheltenham and Kempton, or Sandown and Kempton, in case some people didn't think that bit through. Whatever the course does, it won't please those who must find something wrong at all costs. The 15th looks sensible, avoiding clashing with the two big NH courses' and jockeys' prior engagements.

I don't see why the race needs to be run at Kempton once it's been established that Kempton couldn't fulfill the original fixture. The Fighting Fifth was moved to Newbury at a couple of days notice a month back when Newcastle was frozen and Newbury could race.

The course is already due to stage two Grade 1 races (Challow Hurdle and Long Walk) and the only problem I can see is that there are already 8 races scheduled.

You'll have to get up early enough - they're planning a nine race card, first race 11.55, last race run in the dark!

Is Sizing Europe running or not? Someone here must have a bit of an idea. His price is slowly coming in again on Betfair.

Is Sizing Europe running or not? Someone here must have a bit of an idea. His price is slowly coming in again on Betfair.

Yes he is intended as far as I know. Reports of his preparation have been good and the trainer has been talking about his participation in quite strong terms.

Back