King George VI Chase

I honestly thought Gavin was going to pull him up at one stage and then he started motoring....Would he have caught Shiskkin? we'll never know

The way he finished, he certainly would, Shishkin was paddling a bit before coming down in my opinion. Cracking race though, very entertaining to view.

I honestly thought Gavin was going to pull him up at one stage and then he started motoring....Would he have caught Shiskkin? we'll never know

I thought so too, to be honest.
Bad enough to get it so wrong, but to you tanlic....
Thankfully the gods favoured my stopped clock over yours !
We live to disagree another day....and be the better for it !

He just said if it hadn’t been the KG he would have pulled him up. Hewick is one of those glorious freaks of nature that makes racing the wonderful sport it is. I’ve been falling out of love a bit with racing recently and didn’t wake up today feeling the excitement I used to feel on KG day but, as with lots of things, when you’re not expecting to be bowled over by something it surprises you. Il est Francais and now this. The little horse deserved to have his name up there with the great winners of this race.

Fair play to Hewitt backers, who was fifth-choice at hest for me. Suspect he probably would have reeled Shishkin in regardless too.

Fu*ck me though. With Hewitt following closely on the heels of Tornado Flyer and Frodon, it’s turning into an absolute pig of a race.

Shishkin was coming to the end of his tether. Would have finished 4th. Perhaps they'll stop trying to make him go 3ms now. One result does not a 3 miler make.

I've watched the final stages a few times now.

I think how Shishkin might have fared depends on whether or not he would have stayed. He was two lengths ahead of Allaho all the way from the approach to the home turn and looked to me to be increasing it going to two out. Bravemansgame was starting to run out of puff at that point and I think he got close to Allaho again because the latter started to slow down more. I think if Shishkin's stamina held out he'd have been three or four lengths clear by the last. What might have happened after that we can't know [until he comes out and duffs them up] and it will be interesting to see if Hewick was actually quickening or whether the others were slowing down.

Had the mistake happened at the last I'd have been reasonably confident Shishkin would have won.

Last edited:
Quite true Frankel.
Did Allaho bounce ?
He is surely better than that.

Possibly seen the best of Allaho. That said, was never a penalty kick given BMG at Kempton. Throw in Shish and over 3m.
Shish would have beaten BMG further than when coming down. BMG would have been a good 2nd if all had stood up.

That's racing though. Always nice to see a horse win that was so cheap. They took their chance! Fair doos.

Shishkin was coming to the end of his tether. Would have finished 4th. Perhaps they'll stop trying to make him go 3ms now. One result does not a 3 miler make.
RyanAir surely has to be the plan.
Allaho disappointed,but well done Hewick supporters.

Who are we kidding Shishkin was finding...he always has in a finish the only question is would Hewick have caught him. They are all lucky the French horse wasn't in the race he clocked a time that would have seen him win by 15 lengths. I doubt if anything in the Uk or Ireland will live with him next season...already benn hailed the new Kauto Star

I've watched the final stages a few times now.

I think how Shishkin might have fared depends on whether or not he would have stayed. He was two lengths ahead of Allaho all the way from the approach to the home turn and looked to me to be increasing it going to two out. Bravemansgame was starting to run out of puff at that point and I think he got close to Allaho again because the latter started to slow down more. I think if Shishkin's stamina held out he'd have been three or four lengths clear by the last. What might have happened after that we can't know [until he comes out and duffs them up] and it will be interesting to see if Hewick was actually quickening or whether the others were slowing down.

Had the mistake happened at the last I'd have been reasonably confident Shishkin would have won.

EXCELLENT sensible postI couldn't agree with you more...I think a lot of pocket talk has been posted.

Il est Francais is now favourite for the Browns Advisory and next years King George.

Not sure they will bring him over for the Festival as it's a totally different course to what he's used to.

10/1 Gaelic Warrior in that case looks very tempting especially if Marine Nationale hacks up which could rule out Mullins switching him back to 2miles.

Bit of 2nd guessing on my part but I'll have abit of 10/1 anyway.

Sounds like the French Gold Cup is the priority this season with maybe the King George then the Gold Cup 2025 on the wish list.

Me? I'd put him away for the Hennessy :lol:

Last edited:
Total guess on my part but I imagine the closing sectional par for the KG is around 105% (since it's a short home straight) so it looks like Hewick has taken advantage of the others' slowing down.

Screenshot (61).png

Hopefully SR will do a piece at ATR.

Total guess on my part but I imagine the closing sectional par for the KG is around 105% (since it's a short home straight) so it looks like Hewick has taken advantage of the others' slowing down.

View attachment 3083

Hopefully SR will do a piece at ATR.

I don’t think we needed sectionals to tell us that [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back