King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2011

Gareth, surely none of them are 'speed horses' otherwise they'd all be running in the July Cup. It's the way the race is run and/or the pace of the race and who has or doesn't have the legs at the business end.

A horse who would be suited by a slowly-run race requiring more speed over the last couple of furlongs.

Lets look at the Ballydoyle horses and how they've been winning this year for arguments sake.

The Coronation, won by SNA with a late kick.

So You Think in the Eclipse won by a killer turn of foot.

Treasure Beach in the Irish derby gets up in the last 75 yards..

Misty For Me in the Irish Guineas same as the others..

Tell me one Ballydoyle horse that has won a group one this season from the front?

All I'm saying is that, all these instances, plus SNA profile and his last run, make me think if he is to win (which he is near enough even money to do so), he will try to sit just of the pace and kill them for speed in the last furlong.

If he hits the front a mile out and stays there I will eat my hat, even though I don't actually have one.

Last edited:
Both perfectly fair examples, although the quality of those group one renewals must be up for debate, as apart from a well below-par appearance from Midday in the Pretty Polly, I'm struggling to see anything strong looking about them, where as the examples I've given were much stronger group one's, particularly the Irish 1000 guineas which was franked all over the place yesterday. Sorry for being pedantic but that's obviously the path this little interlude has taken.

Last edited:
With more rain about this week I suppose it's a lot more promising that Workforce will take part.

Now you are contradicting yourself - there is no reason for Sri Putra to have improved - any evidence-based assessment would have Rewilding the best of thet trio over the 2 races.

The fact that both Sri Putra and SYT were rated higher at Sandown suggests otherwise. It was also my impression that the SYT who won the Eclipse would have beaten Rewilding at Ascot.

I took on SYT with Rewilding and Planteur at Ascot, but I feel I've had my money out of Rewilding now. Rewilding should run a good race in the KG, but my preference would probably be for Workforce or SNA.

Quite... decent enough value here if you get it right. Should be well worth watching if the big three turn up, whether you want to have a bet or not.

Seven declared at 5-day stage including the supplemented Nathaniel. Saturday will likely have either five or six runners, but still what a race in prospect.

Ryan Moore will be on Workforce if he runs (seems very likely now), and presumably Seamie Heffernan will keep the ride on Seville if he runs (hope not, turnaround too quick after a hard race in the GPdP - think they should keep him for the Leger). The question is - who will ride St. Nic? They should be asking Johnny Murtagh.

I can see Rewilding blowing out completely in this just like the leger last year just have a nagging doubt he needs alot of time between races. Also if it turns into a bit of a slog I can't see that suiting him. SNA strikes me as a horse that is going to absolutely love Ascot a reasonably long straight with a stiffish finish should suit if you look at how he has finished in the last 2 races. Arguably as well his best bit of form was in the RP trophy with dig in the ground so if it does soften will be in his favour.

I can see Rewilding blowing out completely in this just like the leger last year just have a nagging doubt he needs alot of time between races. Also if it turns into a bit of a slog I can't see that suiting him. SNA strikes me as a horse that is going to absolutely love Ascot a reasonably long straight with a stiffish finish should suit if you look at how he has finished in the last 2 races. Arguably as well his best bit of form was in the RP trophy with dig in the ground so if it does soften will be in his favour.

Rewilding's best performance came in the race that was a real slog all the way to the line.

Time to go in again on Rewilding now he's back out to 3's. For now I'm happy to take the PoW at face value. That being the case he's too big. As Bar says, the fresh angle is based on one poor run which could have various other explanations.

It's rare for a market on such a high-profile race to be out of kilter so much with my opinion so have to put the money where the mouth is. St Nicholas Abbey will have to be a 130+ horse to beat this field. No evidence yet that he is. Don't think Nathaniel is quite up to this level and he makes little appeal at single figures.

Totally. Rewilding loves the track, has markedly improved and is the only one of the big three you could say without reservation is in the form of his life. What happened with the horse as a 3yo is as relevant as it was with Harbinger last year.

Indeed. 13mm over the weekend, with a very showery week forecast.

The market looks a lot more sensible now. Of the likely runners:

SNA 7/4
Workforce 5/2
Rewilding 3/1
Nathaniel 10/1
Redwood 66/1

Workforce and Rewilding bit better than 4/5 dutched. To beat St Nic? Christmas come early surely.

Workforce and Rewilding bit better than 4/5 dutched. To beat St Nic? Christmas come early surely.

Couldn't agree more. Lets see are there any more Ballydoyle lemmings around which may make this price even better!

Back