Ladbrokes World Hurdle - Build Up

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
No she wouldn't. You miss the point of running her in the World Hurdle. Faster pace. She'd have blown her brains out in the first two miles of the slowly run mares race. She settled better with the better pace of the race today. That was the reason for going for the tougher race and it worked out well.

You're spot on but if Quevega had also run in the WH VLV would have almost certainly beaten her in that.

But at the end of the day it wouldn't matter 1 iota to Big Bucks he'd have beaten anything present and most likely past, yesterday.

Plus WM has absolutely no interest in taking on Big Bucks as he knows her place and it's not getting her ass kicked in a World Hurdle.

What are the chances of them raising Big Buck's? He's been off 174 for the past god knows how many races. For me, yesterday was a better performance than he's ever put in, so he'd have to be raised, presuming he was running to 174 before.

They could drop him Simon she was only rated 154.

Personally I'd make him a 177 horse just ahead of Champion Hurdler Istabraq because of his record but unfortunately they look at numbers and emotions and to an extent common sense don't come into it.

You're spot on but if Quevega had also run in the WH VLV would have almost certainly beaten her in that.

But at the end of the day it wouldn't matter 1 iota to Big Bucks he'd have beaten anything present and most likely past, yesterday.

Plus WM has absolutely no interest in taking on Big Bucks as he knows her place and it's not getting her ass kicked in a World Hurdle.

I'm sure Ruby is happy to keep them apart too.

It opens the race wide open.
Tidal Bay, Voler La Vedette, Thousand stars, Zaidpour, Oscar W, Grand Crus, Dynaste, any novice chaser who doesnt hit the bar, any number of promising novice hurdlers...
remember Brown Lad was diverted to this race 75 when Sun Alliance Chase abandoned.

It opens the race wide open.
Tidal Bay, Voler La Vedette, Thousand stars, Zaidpour, Oscar W, Grand Crus, Dynaste, any novice chaser who doesnt hit the bar, any number of promising novice hurdlers...
remember Brown Lad was diverted to this race 75 when Sun Alliance Chase abandoned.

With Big Bucks out, I don't think Henderson will be able to resist running Oscar Whisky.

Probably. I don't really see that they would have gone for the Champion anyway with Oscar (although I would have liked to see it), with a handful from the yard looking for a run in that.

Probably. I don't really see that they would have gone for the Champion anyway with Oscar (although I would have liked to see it), with a handful from the yard looking for a run in that.

If EC1 is right on his sectionals theory, and the race will be run at a good clip, then connections really need to be taking the Champion Hurdle seriously.

The World Hurdle is basically a glorified Pertemps Final in the absence of Quevega and Big Buck's, and it would pretty-much be 'who cares' if OW won the race against vastly inferior horses.

I suggested last year that OW should have been running in the Bula for £75k instead of the Relkeel for comparative buttons. He is pretty-much everything you want in a top-end 2-mile hurdler; save for that killer turn of foot the really great ones have. But in strict form terms, he could easily have gone close last season, and there's nonreason why the same shouldn't apply this season, given the field will be broadly similar. The 20/1 is a fair price, imo. It will halve automatically the moment connections declare a preference.

McCain said in a stable tour that he would be looking to step Peddlers Cross up in trip this season and with Quevega and Big Bucks not running he looks the most likely winner to me.

McCain said in a stable tour that he would be looking to step Peddlers Cross up in trip this season and with Quevega and Big Bucks not running he looks the most likely winner to me.

I just dont rate McCain at all and think he will struggle to get a winner at the festival

mullins now quoted as saying she could run in both races at the festival. i like the thought of her using the mares race as a prep run. :cool:

doubt it'll happen but good to see he hasn't discounted the idea of the wh.

i cant see what Mcain has done so badly either his record at the festival reads quite well and seems to train winners on a regular basis prefer him to his father actually

Just been reading that with the World Hurdle champ Big Bucks sidelined Micky Henderson is looking for clues to whether Oscar Whisky wiil stay 3 miles or not. He intends to run him in the Cleeve Hurdle but even a win in that might only succeed in leading him up the garden path.

The Cleeve Hurdle hasn't been strongly contested for the last couple of years. Big Buck's only had to give Dynaste before he was the Dynaste we now know a few pound last season and the season before Grands Crus skipped away from staying chaser to win it.

Oscar Whisky is a lovely horse and when he is traveling within his comfort Zone he just slips a gear and more often than not wins.

Nicky isn't going to find the answer to why he went out like a light in last season's World Hurdle by looking at races he's won and saying I can't believe he wont get 3 miles.

Nor will he get the answer running him in the Cleeve Hurdle is it turns out the opposition is so badly in that he never comes out of a canter to win it.

Oscar Whisky has run in the 3 top hurdle races of the festival and failed every time.

In The Supreme Hurdle he traveled well as he does and moved up menacingly but when Menorah came though and suddenly injected fresh pace into the race he immediately came of the bridle. Once he did he never slowed down as such but he found absolutely nothing hust running on at the same pace all the way to the line.

The following year he went for the Champion Hurdle and it was almost a carbon copy of the Supreme. He did manage to hang on to Peddlers Cross a bit longer than he did Menorah but when Jason McGuire really got down to work he failed to hold off Hurricane Fly but drew right away from Oscar Whisky who simply had nothing left to offer.

Last year in the World Hurdle it was exactly the same again he was right there until the pace increased and again he found nothing. The fact he was chasing the best hurdler in training never helped matter and he ended up finishing legless.

Maybe the trip had something to do with it in the World Hurdle and he doesn't stay but even if it had been 2m4f I doubt if he'd find the pace to go with Big Bucks.

Oscar Whisky is a bit like old Harchibald great when he's traveling within his comfort zone he's brilliant but the minute he's taken out of it Ziltch.

The Supreme, The Champion Hurdle and the World Hurdle are almost always run at a tremendous pace and more often than not something suddenly quickens around 3, then again 2 out and yet again it quickens as they fly round the home bend and down the hill.

3 times Oscar Whisky has failed to cope and I don't see this year being any different as much as I like the horse.

Tiday Bay has no such problems if he's on the premises you wouldn't want him coming at you but there might just be a new kid on the block.

Monksland was defeated only once last season. He met his fair share of trouble when he finished a staying on 3rd to Simonsig in the Neptune. That staying on 3rd was a clear indication that he may be suited by a longer trip.

He's kicked off this season with an easy win in a nothing race over 2 miles then lost out to Zaidpour over 2m4f who at his best had given 7lbs and a beating to Voler La Vedette in the Galmoy Hurdle. Again like in the Neptune he was running on well at the finish.

He faced Zaidpour again in his latest race but this time over 3 miles. He was so far behind at the 2nd last and even as they began to take the turn into the straight I wondered if he was off. Then Paul Carberry changed hands on him and he was bang there in a matter of seconds.

In the meantime Ruby has got the leader well and truly in his sights and he must have thought it was all over bar the shouting but when Monksland came through on the inside the result was never in doubt.

Monksland won that race very easily in the end by 2 1/2 lengths apart from a couple of swishes of the tail. He's also gave them all a start, showed a good turn of foot and improved 5 lengths on Zaidpour since their previous meeting. Albeit he was getting 2 lbs but I doubt if it had been him giving Zaidpour 2 lbs it would have changed a thing

Monksland is young, improving, has a touch of class and for me is the ideal candidate to step forward and win the World Hurdle while Big Buck's is convalescing

Last edited:
Back