Ladbrokes World Hurdle - Build Up

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
Interesting. To the best of my knowledge the plan with CB is novice chasing next season. He was well held by both BB and Quevega last season. He was only 5 in fairness to the horse however

Carlo Brigante never got the trip at Aintree. He never got the trip against Quevega and he hit the same brick wall at Wetherby. His chances of staying at Cheltenham surely lye between ziltch and zero?

I doubt if Gordon Elliot will even try to take on Big Bucks at Cheltenham and will keep him for Aintree where at least he has a little sqeak of seeing the trip out if he's strengthened up a year on.

I'm not confident about Oscar Whisky getting the trip at this level, definately not at 5/1. None of the Irish horses are catching my eye either. On all known form Big Bucks should obviously walk this but I do see some e/w value in Dynaste, who I reckon is nailed on for a place. You couldn't help but be impressed with his win at Haydock and you have to remember this horse in only six as well. He closed the deficit with BB last time at Cheltenham to boot.

You're guaranteed to get a cracking run for your money with Dynaste trying to get them off the bridle a long way out. Pipe ran the champ close last year with Grand Crus and he might just have one to do the same here. He is one of my best bets of the meeting at present (e/w).

Last edited:
Main danger to BB for me. Oscar won't stay and Dynaste hasn't the same substance to his form as Grands Crus did. He's grey and trained by Pipe are the only reasons he's as short as he is.

I was thinking of backing another horse e/w but it was pointed out to me that you're just throwing away your win part of the bet against Big Buck's, Marble. Sticking a tenner e/w on Dynaste at 14/1, if placed, will return £45, so effectively you're getting 5/2 your money. Surely you'd be better backing him at 5/1 in the w/o Big Buck's market.

Backing without the fav is not really my style fella's. Anyway, I wouldn't back a horse e/w that I thought had absoloutely 0% of beating the favourite. Still it's a fair point Simon and noted.

Last edited:
I think he is, and yes I expect him Townend to ride it. Are they really going to run four?

It's times like these you would wonder why there is no championship hurdle race over 2m 4f at the festival. It's crying out for it. Would be one helluva race.

I was thinking of backing another horse e/w but it was pointed out to me that you're just throwing away your win part of the bet against Big Buck's, Marble. Sticking a tenner e/w on Dynaste at 14/1, if placed, will return £45, so effectively you're getting 5/2 your money. Surely you'd be better backing him at 5/1 in the w/o Big Buck's market.

Better still to cover the win part of the bet with a sfc - which should cost little more than a quid, in this case.

Oscar won't stay

Out of interest why do you think Oscar Whisky won’t stay? I know some have been saying this, but why do you think this so. He’s bred to stay and it seems to me he has improved when he’s been stepped up, from the high 150s back at two miles to the high 160s at 2½m-plus. Because he hasn’t run the trip before doesn’t mean he won’t do well at it.

Horses capable of running to 160+ at both 2m and 3m are very rare indeed. OW has to be considered a doubtful stayer.....insofar as his ability to show his best form is concerned.

Sounds like MdH will go for this...he looks like a place banker for me.

I quite like his chance and is about third/fourth on my reckoning at the moment, assuming he reproduces what he's capable off. He's been accused of being soft, which I think is unfair, but couldn't be confident he'd see through his effort.

Despite this I know what you mean by fancying him and wouldn't put you off an interest.

Horses capable of running to 160+ at both 2m and 3m are very rare indeed. OW has to be considered a doubtful stayer.....insofar as his ability to show his best form is concerned.

But his highest ratings have come when he has run the furthest. RPR of 167 last time for example, 2lb superior to his Champion Hurdle run and 8lb better than his best at 16 furlongs.

Last edited:

The w/o BB market is certainly worth playing (on the day for me rather than ante-post). As are the Place only markets in both the World and Champion Hurdles.

Back