Ladbrokes World Hurdle - Build Up

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
Just feel that these Irish horses are a bit of a much of a muchness (As I did when I first had a good luck at this race).

To me Mourad has feck all chance of getting anywhere near BB's next month: Today was just an indication of how muddling and poor some of the Irish staying hurdle formlines are.

Obviously as VDV has beaten Mourad some people might now be adding 2+2 and making 5. That's how I see it anyway. I'd rather have a young and unexposed horse with proven form with BB's than grade 2 staying hurdlers in Ireland at this point, and I just can't see my view changing in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Mourad is a horse that I can never catch on a good day. He ruined my winter with some ill advised large bets, but he's decent in the spring and was only beaten five lengths by Big Bucks last year. If he's at his best, then he's a fair enough animal and each way value around 20s. Placed in a Triumph and a World Hurdle on his two visits to the Festival. Could do worse.

So Young is the one to be on imo. Love the campaign he's been given by Mullins. Won't be touching an on song Big Bucks, but he'll look after the rest of them.

Mourad is a horse that I can never catch on a good day. He ruined my winter with some ill advised large bets, but he's decent in the spring and was only beaten five lengths by Big Bucks last year. If he's at his best, then he's a fair enough animal and each way value around 20s. Placed in a Triumph and a World Hurdle on his two visits to the Festival. Could do worse.

He can be hard to read.I was convinced today was about getting a couple of pounds off for the Coral Cup.

Big Bucks (4/7) , Oscar Whisky (5) , Thousand Stars (12) , Bobs Worth (14) , Dynaste (16) , Quevega (16) , So Young (16) , Voler La Vedette (16) , Mourad (20) , Zaidpour (20) , Carlito Brigante (25)

How many horses does Mullins need for this race? Are they planning to just box Big Buck's in for 3 miles and let So Young win :lol:

I had high hopes for Mourad at the start of the season, but to be frank have been disappointed with him this term as his lacked any sort of spark. Until yesterday that is. Much more like it, he seems to have found his form at the right time and was able to assert rather than fold in his earlier performances.

Don't know if they'll bother with MdH in the World Hurdle now.

I've always maintained it unfair to label MdH as soft, but he did seem very tame yesterday. Travelled well for the most part and emptied in a few strides. You won't win good races like that I'd agree.

No. Most disappointing. I'll be backing Oscar Whisky on the day now-unless BB goes to evens because of this cough think.

No. Most disappointing. I'll be backing Oscar Whisky on the day now-unless BB goes to evens because of this cough think.

You can still get 7/4 OW without BB at Hills I believe. I think OW has a chance of beating BB anyway all in and have topped up accordingly. This would leave me free to top up my cover bet on BB at evens or bigger if I wanted to nearer the time.

I have to defend Mikael D'Haguenet here.

All his form points to him wanting shorter (or possibly further), a stiffer track (or possibly a flat one), he clearly needs to go right-handed (or possibly left), and hurdling is clearly his game (or possibly he'd be better off over fences).

The horse is an impossible read, and even when he does win, it's likely to be at odds-on, because Charlies like us can't help ourselves. He can go f*ck himself.

I have to defend Mikael D'Haguenet here.

All his form points to him wanting shorter (or possibly further), a stiffer track (or possibly a flat one), he clearly needs to go right-handed (or possibly left), and hurdling is clearly his game (or possibly he'd be better off over fences).

The horse is an impossible read, and even when he does win, it's likely to be at odds-on, because Charlies like us can't help ourselves. He can go f*ck himself.

Nail on the head.

Is this the day that the so called equine great they have named Big Bucks, falters in the wake of genuine Grade 1 opposition at this level.

For I have been a long critic of those who have been plaudits of the back of unjust reputation through media regurgitation and have failed to analyze the real depth of his achievements in any detail.

This, a week where we have seen two Irish horses that carried the tag of genuine "greats" falter when pitted against proper opposition in Sizing Europe and Hurricane Fly with the truth finaly unvealing itself, two trainers going back to adjust their words over their horses, punters going home to adjust their thoughts about what they were expecting to see, media pundits going home and giving every inch of excuse to believe in the hypothesis that they are still greats of the game.

Will we see the Irish smile unanimously on Thursday afternoon, I for one feel that this is Big Bucks most arduous test to date whereby the quallity in depth is that of what is expected by a Grade 1 over three miles and today we will see a genuine Grade 1 champion.

There is no hiding place up the Cheltenham Hill tomorrow and the Irish have taken this race by the scruff of the neck with enormous strength in depth alongside the new coming of a superstar in the shape of Oscar Whisky who could be absolutely anything.

Today is when Big Bucks will fail, today is the only time he's going to be put to the sword against a proper field, no more four runner races to pay the vet bills, no more hiding place, this is where a knight will be knighted and on this battle ground will the war be won for the battle will be over.

JUDGEMENT DAY

Last edited:
Back