Leopardstown Saturday [now Sunday]

Guest_

At the Start
One of the best days racing in the Irish racing calender..always a super card.

The ground is currently "Good" on the straight and "Good To Yielding" elsewhere. The forecast is mixed up until Wednesday but looking more positive as the week goes on.

Aside from the big one (Duke Of Marmalade vs New Approach Part II) the rest of the card is always of a high standard.

The other Group 1 on the card sees the likes of Halfway To Heaven, Arch Swing,Nahoodh, Spacious all entered up. Listen is also due to make her return to action in this though you would imagine she will need this.

The Group 3 Kilternan Stakes has the usual suspects entered up along with the more interesting types Zulu Chief, Famous Name and Katiyra.

There are also two 2 year old maidens on the card over seven furlongs (one for colts and one for fillys) and they invariably throw up useful performers.

5 day stages comes out on Monday.

Looking forward to being there on Saturday.

It would be nice to get good ground on the day. I think the track will suit NA a bit better than The Duke in what will probably be a small field for the Champion.

Hope to see Lush Lashes in the Matron.

Did I read Lush Lashes was going to skip it and go to France instead?

God knows why Finsceal Beo is running in a stakes race tomorrow on soft ground when she could be running with her ideal conditions in under a week.

Anyone give Casual Conquest a chance, back over 10 furlongs and on a track he was so impressive on in the spring? I think he might be a bigger danger than New Approach.

Watch out for a big Waterford crowd at Leopardstown on Saturday.

Hopefully the Waterford crowd will be back in your fine city on Saturday night safe and sound.

Can't think of any reason you would want to stay in Dublin a day later for the demolition that will occur on Sunday afternoon.

Irish Champion Stakes
Duke Of Marmalade
Henrythenavigator
Lord Admiral
More Wells
Multidimensional
Traffic Guard
Shes Our Mark
King Of Rome
New Approach
Zulu Chief
Red Rock Canyon

Kilternan Stakes
Regime
Arch Rebel
Ragged Staff
Settigano
Famous Name
Carribean Sunset
Ballyhaunis
King Of Westphalia
Mr Medici
Prima Luca
Red Eye Express
Superius
The Bogberry
The Fist Of God
William Hogwarth
Zulu Chief
Mystical Lady
Sail
Teacht An Earraig

Matron Stakes
Baharah
Cheyenne Star
Dementicata
Heaven Sent
Lady Gloria
Mooretown Lady
Sabana Perdida
Shes Our Mark
Carribean Sunset
Halfway To Heaven
Listen
Lush Lashes
Nahoodh
Psalm
Visit
Youresothrilling

No Phoenix Tower and no Casual Conquest in the Irish Champion. A small field with I'd say six runners at most. What matters now is that the big two turn up on the day.

Disappointing that there is no Casual Conquest, had heard nothing about him being a non-runner. Yep, desperately need the big two to turn up.

Think the Matron has the makings of a cracking race.

Paddy Power go:

Duke Of Marmalade 8/13
New Approach 5/2
King Of Rome 10/1
Multidimensional 16/1
Lord Admiral 33/1

Going: Good, Good To Yielding in places.

Last edited:
If only you could lay 10/1 King of Rome!

Bizarre they've priced him as low as that.

Hard to know what the tactics will be with New Approach this time?
- Surely Bolger could do with reminding of how impressive New Approach was from the front last year? In my mind, (& hence why I was so annoyed with Juddmonte) was the reason they held him out the back in the Derby was worry over the distance (after all he he only run as far as a mile at that point).

If they let him bowl along near the front (not necessarily lead), he would have a chance if he could get Duke of Marmalade on the stretch in softer conditions.

Listen is very interesting, but you wonder how ready she may be. Perhaps reminiscent of Mount Nelson's appearance in the Champion Stakes? Great race in prospect.

While I appreciate the counter arguements made on the New Approach thread I agree with Andrew, I would happily take the 5/2 if I had certain knowledge he would be ridden as stated above.

If only you could lay 10/1 King of Rome!

Bizarre they've priced him as low as that.

I was impressed by King Of Rome last time at Leopardstown. Not top-class form by any means (though Alarazi is a decent horse in his own right on the ground) but I would say he won in spite of the ground as well. Murtagh did pick him as his Derby mount and he looks to be fulfilling that apparent promise now.

If the race doesn't cut up to less than 8 (unlikely perhaps) I would bite your hand off if you offered me 10/1 King Of Rome.

Hard to know what the tactics will be with New Approach this time?

All the noises from Bolger have been "we're teaching him to settle" so I guess he'll be held up once more.

Given the size of the field...probably 6 runners, surely a maximum of 8....New Approach's placement is hardly going to be that significant in that he is not likely to be sitting far off DOM at any stage? I thought they might have tried to put a pacemaker in for him though.

All the noises from Bolger have been "we're teaching him to settle" so I guess he'll be held up once more

He'll need to settle whether off the pace or on it.

Last edited:
Back