Look after this forum

i've read a couple of Peter May's Archie..very good

i like detective novels very much..i like the loner aspect..i don't know why:)

even though Rebus is in a team..he is a loner..he has his good mate Shiv..but he is inherently alone

i'm trying to remember a TV show from the 70's with an actor called Alfred Lynch i think it was..i could google it but i'll wager someone knows the show..he was a gumshoe..loved that show..liked eddie shoestring as well

Last edited:
If you like crime fiction and the islands, you could do worse than read some Peter May, particularly the Lewis trilogy.

Also the Jimmy Perez Shetland series by Ann Cleeves are worth a read - books are much better than the TV series (although it isn't too bad)

i've read a couple of Peter May's Archie..very good

i like detective novels very much..i like the loner aspect..i don't know why:)

even though Rebus is in a team..he is a loner..he has his good mate Shiv..but he is inherently alone

Presumably you have read plenty of James Patterson ones, particularly the Bosch ones?

Grass - when i were a young un my Dad took me to Edinburgh for a short break...and we went to Easter Road for a mid week match..this would be about 1970...there was a player then who had been a stalwart for them.,,had played loads through the previous years..i just cannot remember his name now

its the only scottish ground i have been to..who would that player have been would you or Digger know?

.i am currently reading all the Rebus books..about half way through...all based in Edinburgh of course..really love them

Digger might know the players of the day, EC1, but I'd be guessing.

No change there.

Presumably you have read plenty of James Patterson ones, particularly the Bosch ones?

yes i've read a few Bosch ones...there are so many out there

one author i really liked..they weren't detective ones..were Robert Goddard books..I read all of them..about 20 odd..the general theme is a present time mixed with a past time..he is a really good story teller

I like Stephen King as well..the time travel one re Kennedy was really excellent

i just been looking at famous Hibs players Grass...i didn't realise Joe Baker was one..i saw him in a league match playing for Notti=gham Forest in 1967 against Man Utd..Jim Baxter was in that Forest side as well i seem to remember...Grumitt in the nets..terry hennessey midfield...they had a decent side then did Forest..won fook all until Clough went there but were good in the mid late 60's.

i've checked wiki re long standing Hibs players and nothing rings a bell..if i didn't know better i'd have said Joe Baker but i would have associated him with Forest more than Hibs...but looking at the list it may well have been Joe...the memory plays tricks when you are fookin ancient:)

yes..i've looked at his profile..it must have been Joe..he returned to Hibs in 71..thats probably when i went to Easter Road..he died in 2003..bless him..good footballer was Joe

Last edited:
I used to work at a store a goal kick from rebus station at St Leonard's in Edinburgh. Rebus was a hibs fan but funnily enough ken stott who played rebus was an ardent jambo. It is certainly true that hibs fans are the artisans of Edinburgh and the least said of those from the west the better. For all those who haven't visited past Edinburgh I'd recommend the area around Kenmore where they do watersports. Places like fearnan are quite stunning.

its Shiv who is the Hibs fan ..isn't rebus not a footy fan in partricular?..more a whisky + pub man..like i said i'm only half way through the books but up to press its Shiv who goes to Hibs games and sometimes Rebus tags along..there is that constant..will they won't they between the pair of them all through the ones i've read

Last edited:
yes i've read a few Bosch ones...there are so many out there

one author i really liked..they weren't detective ones..were Robert Goddard books..I read all of them..about 20 odd..the general theme is a present time mixed with a past time..he is a really good story teller

I like Stephen King as well..the time travel one re Kennedy was really excellent

Goddard is my favourite author. Have you read his most recent books - the trilogy? Amazing.

...and we went to Easter Road for a mid week match..this would be about 1970...there was a player then who had been a stalwart for them.,,had played loads through the previous years..i just cannot remember his name now

its the only scottish ground i have been to..who would that player have been would you or Digger know?

Pat Stanton?

Goddard is my favourite author. Have you read his most recent books - the trilogy? Amazing.

yes i read all 3 this summer Benny..i read all his books a couple of years ago..was gutted when i'd read em all...one of the best story tellers i've read. I've read all the Jeffrey Archers as well..i like his books..not keen him like:)

yes i read all 3 this summer Benny..i read all his books a couple of years ago..was gutted when i'd read em all...one of the best story tellers i've read. I've read all the Jeffrey Archers as well..i like his books..not keen him like:)

Discovered Goddard about ten years ago and read everything. Since then I've been subsisting on a diet of one a year and it's not enough! Next one out 2017...

Other authors to try if you like detective/police stuff:

Mark Billingham
Peter James
Val McDermid
Peter Robinson
Simon Beckett

Pat Stanton?

I don't think so DO. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Joe Baker. I remember being at the match and someone was talking about this player how he had been there years ,,given sterling service etc..i seem to think he was more a midfield player than striker

its probably my memory..i'll have another gander into the past re google

Discovered Goddard about ten years ago and read everything. Since then I've been subsisting on a diet of one a year and it's not enough! Next one out 2017...

Mark Billingham
Peter James
Val McDermid
Peter Robinson
Simon Beckett

I've read at least one from all those..Simon Beckett a few of...i did a search a while ago and found a fair few..i've got a Bruce Beckham one in the waiting to be read pile..i read the first one in the series ..not sure yet about him.

Rebus books will keep me going a bit. The Inspector Fox books by Ian Rankin are good as well..there are only two but very good reads..The Complaints...and The Impossible Dead. Fox is part of the police Complaints team..gives an interesting insight into that area..he turns up in a few Rebus stories as well.

Last edited:
I don't think so DO. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Joe Baker. I remember being at the match and someone was talking about this player how he had been there years ,,given sterling service etc..i seem to think he was more a midfield player than striker

its probably my memory..i'll have another gander into the past re google

Jimmy O'Rourke?

Hibs were one of my Subbuteo teams. They were useless too.

:lol:

subbuteo..my goodness..i played a lot of that. One xmas..think it would be 1966/67 i had the full set up..floodlights etc..my Dad set it up on a proper frame..my mate and played loads during the winter months. I think at that point there was only a couple of team colours..when new colours came out i remember looking in Redmayne + Todds in Nottingham..think that was the shop..and a new team at that time cost 10 shillings....that were a lot of cash then...i could have bought the real Notts County team for a quid:)

no Grass i'm sure it weren't Jimmy O Rourke..i have gone through that list Archie posted..it was either Joe Baker or Joe Davis..its one of those you know who it isn't but just can't fully remember who it was..must have been one of them two.

Joe Davis was the epitome of a stalwart. Hard as nails to boot. Btw Joe baker was a fabulous player and only just seen missed out in being in the England 66 squad. Saw his comeback game at Easter road and he of course scored. A lovely guy whose brother Gerry was a cracking player too. I'm reading a book about them called guess what,of course the fabulous baker boys.

Mark Billingham
Peter James
Val McDermid
Peter Robinson
Simon Beckett

Tana French another good'un.

Back