Miling Division 2010

From the Hannon website:

"Change of plan - Dick Turpin supplemented for York Following discussions with owner John Manley, Richard Hannon this morning supplemented Dick Turpin at a cost of £50,000 for next Tuesday's Juddmonte International at York.
Initially, Dick Turpin, who is not entered for Saturday's Hungerford Stakes at Newbury, was going to run in Sunday's G2 Prix Guillaume d'Ornano, but John has been doing his sums and has decided to go for gold.
The boss explained:"John weighed up the options, and, with Dick Turpin having won him more than £470,000 in prize money this season, he has opted to stump up the supplementary for York.
"John takes the view that Dick Turpin owed him nothing, and he is keen to have a go. Full marks to John for being sporting enough to have a crack, but Richard Hughes said after the Prix Jean Prat at Chantilly that the colt would get a mile and a quarter, and he feels that York is the perfect track to try out his stamina.
"Dick Turpin is staying in training next year, so if he does stay it will increase our options as a four-year-old. He is in great form at home and well give it our best shot at York, but if he finishes in the first three John will show a profit, and he'll get almost £35,500 if he is fourth."

9 horses left in the Marois headed by Goldikova and Paco Boy. The Guineas winner Makfi is in there too. Following 8.2mm of rain the going at Deauville on Wednesday was changed from good to soft to soft, but there is very little rain forecast before Sunday.

You'd love there to be a dead 8 come Sunday, be a cracking EW race with the two Goldi pacemakers in there. Be basically 3 places for 6 runners.

A fool and his money ... I really liked Poet's Voice last year, and expected him to be running in better races than this this season. Granted, he's disappointed twice, but he certainly didn't have the build of a typical 2 year old last season so I'm hoping it's not a case of not having trained on.

I think 25/1 is a very generous each way price, and I'll resist throwing out the cliche (albeit true I think) about backing Godolphin second strings.

Dream Eater and Hearts of Fire (to a lesser extent) are horses who often put in good placed efforts in top races, but then struggle when seeming to have a winning chance in a lower grade, and can be passed over. Pressing's 3 pound penalty makes it difficult for him, and the Godolphin first string seemed to be priced on hype/ex-trainer in Dubai and still looks a little underpriced.

Sea Lord, for all that he has a very progressive profile, doesn't seem to quite have earned his 115 rating to me, and 7/2 on the short side.

Open race ..

A fool and his money ... I really liked Poet's Voice last year, and expected him to be running in better races than this this season. Granted, he's disappointed twice, but he certainly didn't have the build of a typical 2 year old last season so I'm hoping it's not a case of not having trained on.

I think 25/1 is a very generous each way price, and I'll resist throwing out the cliche (albeit true I think) about backing Godolphin second strings.

Dream Eater and Hearts of Fire (to a lesser extent) are horses who often put in good placed efforts in top races, but then struggle when seeming to have a winning chance in a lower grade, and can be passed over. Pressing's 3 pound penalty makes it difficult for him, and the Godolphin first string seemed to be priced on hype/ex-trainer in Dubai and still looks a little underpriced.

Sea Lord, for all that he has a very progressive profile, doesn't seem to quite have earned his 115 rating to me, and 7/2 on the short side.

Open race ..

Excellent run from Poets Voice so nearly got the cream - well done

Cheers - had him each way but very very frustrated with Durcan. Clearly talking through my pocket but he produced him far too late and the horse did well to get into a photo. Real shame as I had on him at 33s what I would have had on an evens chance.

Absolutely throwing it down in Normandy again after 6 hours of constant heavy rain yesterday. Ground will be borderline waterogged if this carries on!

Think we could be in for an upset myself and have sided with EW bets on Fuisse and Royal Bench.

Absolutely throwing it down in Normandy again after 6 hours of constant heavy rain yesterday. Ground will be borderline waterogged if this carries on!

Think we could be in for an upset myself and have sided with EW bets on Fuisse and Royal Bench.

Like GS gone with Fuisse and Royal Bench each-way - Royal Bench has a cracking record at a mile and wasn't given the best ride in the Jockey Club whilst Fuisse looks an improved performer.

Main angle on this is I can't see Paco Boy liking the ground and if there were more "runners" so to speak then I'd be keen on place laying him.

I'm backing Makfi each way at the prices sluiced through soft ground in its two races before the guineas so you know he will go on the ground.

Makfi tends to look very good when he is good!

Goldikova never really picked up, just kept on the one pace while I thought Paco Boy's guts got him as close as it did as he was not travelling that well from a long way out (Hughes makes him look to be travelling better than he was). Neither enjoyed the ground at all but the winner looked very good in fairness.

Makfi tends to look very good when he is good!

Goldikova never really picked up, just kept on the one pace while I thought Paco Boy's guts got him as close as it did as he was not travelling that well from a long way out (Hughes makes him look to be travelling better than he was). Neither enjoyed the ground at all but the winner looked very good in fairness.

its interesting though that Makfi has won on fast ground and now this against the best around- that makes him a very useful versatile horse doesn't it?

Last edited:
Back