Miling Division 2010

Would prefer to see Makfi clash with Canford in the Moulin at Longchamp - the QEII is looking good but I've still doubts about Rip being the same horse as last year (probably put me right on Tuesday mind) which would be what stops me rating him as highly as Makfi though I appreciate there are others who'll disagree massively.

Would prefer to see Makfi clash with Canford in the Moulin at Longchamp - the QEII is looking good but I've still doubts about Rip being the same horse as last year (probably put me right on Tuesday mind) which would be what stops me rating him as highly as Makfi though I appreciate there are others who'll disagree massively.

My only doubt would be the form of Goldikova and Paco Boy in today's ground as I think both (particularly the mare) are at their best on a faster surface. But Makfi has proven himself on the sounder surface already (though perhaps he was not happy a second time on it at Ascot?) so you never know.

There's that too Gal though we've seen Goldi handle soft/heavy before at this time of year at Deauville, possibly not the horse she was, we've had discussions on Byword in the International before and Paco Boy got very close to her at Ascot whilst he was equally close today.

There's always going to be doubts surrounding the form of races run on soft/heavy ground but after winning the Guineas and now this he has to be at the top of the tree.

Just found the reference to Makfi's defeat at Ascot where he had a throat problem according to Frogs Racing.

The ground was very heavy.

Makfi proving the best 3yo around and posting a 131 or 132 nce.

Goldikova speed was blunted by the ground and was way below her best today.

It would be great to see all of the in the Moulin.

The ground was very heavy.

Makfi proving the best 3yo around and posting a 131 or 132 nce.

Goldikova speed was blunted by the ground and was way below her best today.

It would be great to see all of the in the Moulin.

Makfi completed the mile in 99.4..which isn't bad..is the ground that bad?

interesting that PB and G have replicated their Ascot run

Last edited:
first 2 races were run in dirt , after being programed to be run on grass

Goldikova run last year this race on 1m 33.50s and Makfi today in 1:39.40s

the big hcp last year 1:36. 30s and Dubase today in 1:40.00

Last edited:
Just got back from the track, very very annoyed with myself. Was torn between Fuisse and Makfi and went for Fuisse with no rhyme or reason why.

He's always been an exceptional horse and whilst I don't think he'd beat the mare on fast ground, he's deserved this win. He had excuses at Ascot, scoped badly and he could be another who just bombs out at Ascot.

I'd back him to beat Canford if they met again away from Ascot which is unlikely.

I believe one forumite said Ascot was as good as Makfi was?

Ec, the ground was desperate. It must have rained for 10-12 hours during the 36 hours prior to the race, if not more.

I genuinely think the ground beat Goldikova, only once has she won when the ground has been worse than "Good to Soft" and that was in last year's Rothschild which on my figures was good ground anyway.

She's simply not a soft ground mare.

I hope they swerve Ascot with Mafki and take him to the Moulin against DT and Goldikova, would be a mouth watering contest.

I genuinely think the ground beat Goldikova, only once has she won when the ground has been worse than "Good to Soft" and that was in last year's Rothschild which on my figures was good ground anyway.

She's simply not a soft ground mare.

I hope they swerve Ascot with Mafki and take him to the Moulin against DT and Goldikova, would be a mouth watering contest.

I'll back Makfi everytime against Goldikova ...Twice now G has only just beat PB..thats not 130 odd form..the best two milers are CC and M

thats not 130 odd form..the best two milers are CC and M

I would doubt anyone has suggested Goldikova has ran to 130 in either runs against Paco.

It would be pretty remarkable if both PB and Goldikova ran to the pound yesterday and at Ascot on completely different ground when both have a preference for a faster surface.

I thought Paco Boy shaped like the second best horse in the race yesterday. Quickened nicely with Makfi until his stamina just looked to ebb away in the last hundred metres. Solid performance in my book.

I'll back Makfi everytime against Goldikova ...Twice now G has only just beat PB..thats not 130 odd form..

No-one said it is.

The arguments for Golidkova being a 131-133 filly are absolutely rock solid.

Yesterday shouldn't be used to knock Goldikova ... all credit to her connections, who could have 'protected' her record by not running yesterday in conditions which were clearly unsuitable, or even by retiring her before this year or even last.

Goldikova is a very similar type to Miesque
very good turn of foot and consistent , able to win gr1 races when not at their best but still can be beaten in softer conditions when finding a horse like Makfi or Sovier Star.

Makfi is a very good horse but still has to improve to achieve the level Goldikova has shown when at her best.

why is it when G loses - "she's never at her best"?

could it just be that when she meets easier oppo she can thrash them and then get big ratings off back off inferiors..but when racing against same or better she can't dominate them

sorry - I don't buy this not at her best

i were told tother week she is in her element at this time of year..she has won on soft before..now thats an excuse when beaten

Gal..she did run to the pound with PB to the Ascot form..its in black and white ffs :)

there is a lot of excuse making here imo

G is ok bossing inferiors..different game when the oppo has some ammo

That whole post is absolute nonsense. You refuse to accept how good a horse Golidkova is and then try and use her coming second in an absolute bog as evidence of this.

She did not run to the pound with Paco Boy on Ascot form. Surely you must know that just because horses run to the same distance of each other does not mean they ran to the same level of form??!! This is a very very basic concept of handicapping..

That whole post is absolute nonsense. You refuse to accept how good a horse Golidkova is and then try and use her coming second in an absolute bog as evidence of this.

She did not run to the pound with Paco Boy on Ascot form. Surely you must know that just because horses run to the same distance of each other does not mean they ran to the same level of form??!! This is a very very basic concept of handicapping..

why do you talk to people like they are idiots Hamm?

who the fook do you think you are like?

Yes, lets all keep it civil.

For me, despite Goldikova finishing in front in of Paco Boy yesterday in a similar manner to Ascot - both are likely to have run someway below that.

Goldikova won on soft ground against poor enough opposition - to take on the best of the colts she needs a much faster surface to use her accleration. I did say it before the race too.

Back