Miling Division 2010

Thirded ... especially when you consider Dick Turpin's last run was more or less the equal of anything Canford has produced.

Considering the success they have had with the horse that would be idiotic .

I do not understand the thinking though . Dick Turpin is a proper G1 horse . The moulin looks made for him especially with no goldi and cc and if they think he will get 10f supplement him for the juddmonte he has won mire than enough cash .

Supplementing Dick Turpin for the Juddmonte would be like flushing 50k down the drain. He wouldn't be single figures for the race would he?

Do you think Richard Hannon is the best trainer in the UK ?

its got nothing to do whether he is the best trainer, and he doesnt appear to be a bad one, but with something called loyality, which not many owners seem to have nowadays, and some clever guys on here thinking they know it all because they put a few quit on.

correct me if i am wrong, but who bought the horse (for a mere tuppence I might add, and do not come out with Peter Doyle!), trained it to win the first 4 races, trained it to be placed in Classics etc., win more than 600.000, win a Group 1 ???

Why on earth would/should the owner want to take the horse away?

:mad:

Last edited:
Maybe, hard to judge. Agree it's money down the toilet.

Nothing about his racing style indicates he needs, let alone would be as good at 10 furlongs.

Hannon is all over the place, and I'd get this horse over the someone like Gosden and run him in the right races. He is still the potential Champion miler.

I think the owner will decide - He clearly has no issue telling Hannon where to run him and will just over-ride him. Moulin seems the obvious target with the breeders cup lauded as a potential target for Paco Boy and Canford going for the QEII...

its got nothing to do whether he is the best trainer, and he doesnt appear to be a bad one, but with something called loyality, which not many owners seem to have nowadays, and some clever guys on here thinking they know it all because they put a few quit on.

correct me if i am wrong, but who bought the horse (for a mere tuppence I might add, and do not come out with Peter Doyle!), trained it to win the first 4 races, trained it to be placed in Classics etc., win more than 600.000, win a Group 1 ???

Spot on, except for the fact that he is an excellent trainer. I suspect he doesnt have the right public image for some

Perhaps a cost/benefit analysis of money spent on purchase/winnings would shut a few people up here

wasnt it suggested here there and everywhere that Canford cliffs wouldnt stay a mile?

Last edited:
He is an excellent trainer but if you owned DT, wouldn't you want him running in the best mile races given he's placed in two Guineas and the St James Palace and won a Group One in France?

He's far too good to be running in 1m2f nothing Group 2s and the Hungerford.

Tough that...

He clearly doesnt think he can get past CC and maybe feels its a crowded division quality wise.

Whats the feeling about his pedigree? Havent bothered to look.

Loyalty can be misplaced and I'm not sure what the relevance is. The owner does not need to prove his Loyalty, he is paying good money. He has had at least 7 horses in training in with the Hannons. Until DT came along he had one minor winner so to make out that he has been done some kind of a favour is wrong. The owner has paid good money for his success . Unless you know differently (I'm all ears) Ross not Peter bought the horse. They shop in the mid range, they're not Dr Doolittles but they know what they're looking for and buy plenty. They buy for many owners a lot/most of them are Hannons

The Hannons train 3 of the best milers in Europe.Surely there is a conflict of interests here. It is in their interest to keep the horses apart. They are of the opinion that Canford is the best of them and they are probably right, but possibly not. If I owned the horse I would want to know for sure and the horse would be sent to the best trainer I could find with a view to realising all of his potential and trying him against the best.

He is an excellent trainer but if you owned DT, wouldn't you want him running in the best mile races given he's placed in two Guineas and the St James Palace and won a Group One in France?

He's far too good to be running in 1m2f nothing Group 2s and the Hungerford.

but would you constantly want to see him coming 2nd in those races behind CC?

but would you constantly want to see him coming 2nd in those races behind CC?

He has beaten cc more than times than he's been beaten by him. And, before I hear cc wasn't the same horse then, dick turpin put up his best performance last time out so it would be a different proposition than earlier in the season.

He has beaten cc more than times than he's been beaten by him. And, before I hear cc wasn't the same horse then, dick turpin put up his best performance last time out so it would be a different proposition than earlier in the season.

but you don't rate CC that highly do you?

they have both got better - CC couldn't have won any cheekier against RVW - have you seen the close up of them as they cross the line? - it was so comfy its unreal

They are convinced CC is the best they have trained. I am pretty well convinced too.

The Hannons train 3 of the best milers in Europe.Surely there is a conflict of interests here. It

As there was with stoutes three runners in the KGV last year and this. This is nonsense....

Seems like its ok for some trainers to have a few of the best horses in a division but not others

Last edited:
They are convinced CC is the best they have trained. I am pretty well convinced too.

As there was with stoutes three runners in the KGV last year and this. This is nonsense....

Seems like its ok for some trainers to have a few of the best horses in a division but not others

there is a little anti Hannon feeling around Clive - I've read it before on here - any time he can get a slight criticism he gets it..unlike other trainers who can do owt they want and get defended to hell

The difference being stoute ran all 3 against each there whereas hannon refuses to.

there is a little anti Hannon feeling around Clive - I've read it before on here - any time he can get a slight criticism he gets it..unlike other trainers who can do owt they want and get defended to hell

Nonsense - don't look for something that isn't there.

I think Hannon is one of the top five trainers in the UK EC1, he's top top class but I'm a realist and in this situation, Dick Turpin isn't being given the chance to prove how good he is.

I'd be confident he'd beat Canford in the right circumstances (not really quick ground basically). As Hamm says, he's beat him more than he's been beaten by him (I backed both of them in the Guineas) and his last run looked top notch. I actually think they don't want to run him against CC as they don't want the whole "best we've ever trained" line made to look silly.

Back