New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Tanlic, try and fit in the best you can its a very hard place to do so, from what I've found since October.

Any more information on your interest in Horse Racing like what's your biggest win etc?

I find this very hard to believe, this forum is the most welcoming on the web, of course there has been nutjobs in the past who have only joined up to troll for trouble but you seem like a stand up guy Bruce....maybe you have just picked people up wrong.....

I didn't mean anything bad by the comments, it's a fantastic forum I love it here

Just that personally I can't fit in with the level of detail and intelligence from posters, I am trying my best though with the trends thread and hope I could be able to talk to some at the same level one day.

You lots betting discussions are WAY too far over my head, I think I plunge to never before seen depths with my lack of knowledge!!

Welcome Tanlic, hope you have a happy time here :)

Thanks everyone don't think I want to talk about big wins Bruce but I will tell you about a loss.

Many years ago I had a couple of horses in traing in Yorkshire. The then stable jockey was my best mate and he had bought both horses together so we were very close.

He had told me to back a handicap hurdler at Ayr which won at 12/1 so funds were aplenty. The trainer of the horse that finsihed a very close 2nd called my firend a couple of weeks later and asked him if he would ride the horse at Doncaster. He told him the horse had come on a ton since Ayr and he expected it to win.

My friend called me on the morning of the race told me the scorse and advised me to have a really good bet as he knew all the horses and none of the others were anything special.

I was busy but knew if I tried to get on with Hills Ladbrokes or Corals locally in Hamilton Scotland they would knock me back, cut the price and set the alarm bells ringing so I decided to drive to Donacster.

Pushed for time I jumped in my Toyota Celcia pedal to the metal and shot off with no time to spare.

When I was approaching Carlisle a motor cycle cop stopped me. This huge cop pulled of his helmet and underneath there's this carbon copy of Tom Sellek moustach and all. This guy tore me a new backside lecturing me about how speed kills and how many bodies he's seen shattered and broken caused by clowns like me etc etc. The he turns round and said the damn thing is I can't book you because you are out of my area Duh. Claimed he could call the local bla bla bla and lets me go.

So I decreased my speed for about 1000 yds and bombed off again (I was young and daft then)

I got to the races about 15 minutes before the off, armed with a few grand. I averaged around 7/2 about the horse and settled down to watch the race. Turning for home he's hack cantering, jockey's taking a confident look round, it's all over bar the shouting and he bursts a blood vessel and is pulled up. Best laid plans eh! The horse recovered well and if memory serves me well won something like 6 out of 7 the next season.

After a chat with my friend I jumped in the car and headed home. Hungry I stopped somewhere outside Donny for fish and chips. Only thing is when I went to pay from them I realised I had no money left. I made the excuse I had left my wallet in the car and would be back in a moment. I was in the glove compartment under the seat looked everwhere but not a coin. so I drove off starving.

Then to top it off just as I pass the area where the cop stops me I run out of petrol miles from anywhere. I don't even have the mobile with me but a guy stops gives me his phone and I call my brother who arrives acouple of hours later with cash and some petrol.

Some might think what a bummer but when I tell you it was the only loser from 10 to 12 horses my friend gave me that entire season you'll understand why I just laughed about it. Not as loud as my friends did though ;O)

For personal reasons I'd rather not give names as my friend is sadly no longer with us, plus his widow has remarried and the family are heavily involved in racing.

I hope you find better company on here, Tanlic, than you've been keeping so far. :) Welcome, and by the way it's not too late to enter the Cheltenham ante post competition if you're interested.

I had alook but there are no details of what the objective is. Could you fill me in please.

I didn't mean anything bad by the comments, it's a fantastic forum I love it here

Just that personally I can't fit in with the level of detail and intelligence from posters, I am trying my best though with the trends thread and hope I could be able to talk to some at the same level one day.

Bruce don't let the Science blind you, you'll figure which stuff is worth paying attention to in time. Plenty of good stuff on here in plain and simple language and just a few others blowing smoke albeit a lot of smoke......;)

I had a look but there are no details of what the objective is. Could you fill me in please.

There are two prizes, put up jointly by Grasshopper and Roddy Owen, and entrants have a fixed amount to use for bets each month. For December and January the monthly bank is £1,000 and this goes up to £2,000 in February.

The main prize is for the person whose bets generates the most winnings, which is easy enough to understand. The other prize is for the portfolio of bets with the highest value on paper at the end of February, shortly before the festival starts. Rule 13 below provides an explanation of how it works.

Competition Rules

1. The competition will open for entries on Monday 10 October and close on Sat 25 Feb. New entrants will be accepted at any time between these dates.

2. Two prizes will be awarded, one of £150 to the person whose bets generate the most winnings, and one of £50 to the person whose portfolio has the highest notional value on 26 Feb.

3. Participants will have a separate bank for each month of the competition as follows:

October (7/10 to to 31/10) - £500
November - £500
December - £1000
January - £1000
February (1/2 to 25/2) - £2000

4. The bank for each month can only be used during the month to which it refers.

5. Bets can be placed on the ante post market for any race at the Cheltenham Festival with any bookmaker displayed on oddschecker.com

6. Only single or each way bets will be accepted; multiple and other types of bet are excluded.

7. The minimum bet size is 10% of the monthly bank, i.e. £50/£25ew in October and November, £100/£50ew in December and January and £200/£100ew in February.

8. The maximum amount allowed on any one horse in any one race is £1,500.

9. There is no limit on the number of horses that can be backed, but only ten will count for scoring purposes.

10. Participants can indicate on or before the cut-off date of 25 Feb which horses they want to include in their final portfolio, otherwise the ten most recently selected will be chosen by default.

11. If a horse is backed for more than one race, each will count as a separate "horse" for the purposes of rules 9, 10 and 13.

12. The winner of the main prize will be the person whose final portfolio of bets generates the highest winnings. Bets will be settled according to normal ante post rules, but only the winnings will be counted.

13. The secondary prize will go to the portfolio which on 26 Feb which has the highest 'notional value'. This is the total sum one would need to wager, taking the best available odds on 26 Feb, to achieve the same potential winnings of each of the bets in the portfolio. (In simpler terms, bets on horses whose odds shorten gain value, while bets on drifters lose value).

14. The organisers will have the right to clarify, modify or add to the rules as they deem appropriate.

Hi, Tanlic. This forum has a fair range of racing interests and, while it sounds like yours might primarily be betting, it's certainly not limited to that. So long as new members don't start acting like trolls and spoofers, you should find it informed, serious in parts, and a bit of a giggle in others.

Hello guys and girls.

I'm mainly into the flat, but I do attend Cheltenham and always say I will never go again.

Favourite horse has to be Kings Curate, followed by Sharastani, of course all down to sums won.

Looks a decent forum with quality posts.

Thanks

Hi All

Just saying Hello.

Not sure how I found this site, might have been a google search after the Betfair disaster, but find it I did. Some very interesting forums and competitions so I registered.

I don't own or never have owned a horse. Just love the sport. My only claim to racing fame is that I live within 4 of Knockeen, and thus Sizing Europe.

John

Welcome, John, I see you've already got stuck into the ante post competition.

Why Barchester, by the way? The horse of the same name deserves a mention in the Where To Draw The Line thread. Its record in its first five outings, which were in points, was P, P, P, BD, P. And then it won on its sixth outing, at odds of only 5/1, and went on to be placed in a couple of rules races.

Perhaps John is a Trollope fan, Grey. Welcome aboard, John - hope you enjoy yourself on here.

Last edited:
Perhaps John is a Trollope fan, Grey. Welcome aboard, John - hope you enjoy yourself on here.

Thanks All.

That obvious krizon ? Small wonder I don't play poker !

Better reading than that horse's form though Grey. :)

John

Ah, yes, the old "or so I was told" story! Someone literate and with a GSOH on the forum - double welcome aboard, sir! Any particular areas of racing you're interested in, John - keener on NH than the Flat, or do your own ratings, etc., etc.?

Hi all been looking like what i see so would like to contribute.I dont mind posting my bets and some of the thinking behind them,whats the best way to do this ? start a new thread or post on the daily picks one.

Hi all been looking like what i see so would like to contribute.I dont mind posting my bets and some of the thinking behind them,whats the best way to do this ? start a new thread or post on the daily picks one.

"What I am backing today" would be a good place to start. Welcome Hayden.

Not sure whose in charge of registering all new members but i know stewarts rise has been a member for a few days and i;ve known him for a couple of years through mailing.He hasn't been able to post yet and just wanted me to post on his behalf incase there's something wrong this end.Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back