NH 2010-2011: Weather Watch

At the rate at which gallops have been frozen over, I imagine there are a lot of horses which won't be at their best for any meetings which get held. ATR was talking to Willie Mullins this afternoon and he's had serious problems in trying to keep them exercised. So, will the advantage lie with any stable which has managed to keep its gallops opened and its horses working?

No snow in Leopardstown today. A few cms fell last night but other than the whiteness this morning you wouldn't have known.

How come it was so safe to race at Navan last meeting? The whole course had a fair dusting of snow and nobody fell over or even skidded, even those who went wide, where it had more snow cover. I think one jockey managed to fall off at the last, when last, but otherwise they went sensibly at about a 7/8ths pace and all was well. I can't think they put studs in the horses' shoes, for safety reasons, but if they didn't, the regular plates held up well.

I was told by someone who is very close to the track management that the ground at Navan was fine and perfectly raceable. Obviously no chases.

It certainly looked fine - my favourite little pony put in a grand show there, too - RIGOUR BACK BOB, deciding that having made his rider work for half the race, he'd reward him with a fine win. Such a cute, but possibly lazy, little horse. And didn't they all look beautiful in their silks against the snowy backdrop? I don't think there was a single shot of the fields that wasn't worthy of a painting or at least a Christmas card.

Having bought tickets to the King George for the first time this year I think my boxing day trip may be in trouble!!!!

Overall the Dublin area should remain fairly dry over the next five days but temperatures are set to remain in the minuses until Christmas Eve. Given the lengthy period there has been of seriously low temperatures there must be a doubt whether the course will thaw in time for St Stephen's Day.

Was St Steve actually martyred on December 26, or is that, like 'Jesus's birthday' another myth?

I know many people believe Jesus was not conceived in the normal manner but I've never heard it suggested that he wasn't even born. :blink:

Regarding St Stephen, I've no idea whether the 26th was selected by his executioners as a suitable date for a bit of post-Christmas exercise or by the Church authorities looking to fill a vacant slot in their calendar.

Saint days tend to get allocated rather than based on actual dates, as often very little is recorded. The "feast" days celebrate their life rather than stand as a record of their death.

Last edited:
Having bought tickets to the King George for the first time this year I think my boxing day trip may be in trouble!!!!

fingers crossed. The frost covers are already down, but under 4" of snow. Apparently there is no frost actually in the ground, so if it doesn't get even colder and if it gets milder on Christmas day it just might be okay.

Thanks for the saintly info, chaps. I think I'll go with the archers wanting a bit of sport. "One hundred and eightttt... "

According to Mike Cat on ATR this a.m., the covers are down all right, but apparently welded to the grass by the frost! The weather forecast is pretty gruesome with more snow expected. All of this stuff about covers is fine and dandy, but not if the battalions of staff needed to hoist the heavily-laden things can't get in. It'll be as much about accessibility (from staff and jockeys' homes to the course as much as at the course) as to whether racing goes ahead anywhere.

Isnt it true that if no frost in ground and snow is on top, there is abetter chance of raing. As the snow insulates a little?

Im very near kempton and cant recall so much snow and ice as there is now. Not for a good few years (think 81 was bad if i recall rightly)

Reminds me of the polar bear joke

Baby polar bear asks mummy polar bear "why am i a polar bear?"

"because thats just the way it is, why do you want to know?"

"cos im fcking freezing"

Isnt it true that if no frost in ground and snow is on top, there is abetter chance of raing. As the snow insulates a little?

That's the idea yes. If there is no frost in the ground now then there shouldn't be any in it if the frost covers and snow covering remain in place, unless it gets significantly colder.

Irish forecast -

: It seems likely now that a much milder south to southeast airflow will extend countrywide on Christmas Day with outbreaks of rain bringing a rapid thaw with temperatures rising to 9 or 10 degrees and no frost Christmas night. St Stephen's Day: Further outbreaks of rain in a southwesterly wind and temperatures of 8 to 10 degrees.

According to Mike Cat on ATR this a.m., the covers are down all right, but apparently welded to the grass by the frost! The weather forecast is pretty gruesome with more snow expected. All of this stuff about covers is fine and dandy, but not if the battalions of staff needed to hoist the heavily-laden things can't get in. It'll be as much about accessibility (from staff and jockeys' homes to the course as much as at the course) as to whether racing goes ahead anywhere.

...if it is true that there is frost in the ground then I'd be doubtful of it going ahead. But the racecourse states not.

They will have emergency provisions in place to ensure the manforce is on hand to remove the covers, so I'm not so worried about that.

However, the racecourse will obviously move heaven and earth to stage Kauto's fifth attempt, so I'd be a little worried that they are making light of it being abandoned when it could indeed be in jeopardy.

Last edited:
That's the idea yes. If there is no frost in the ground now then there shouldn't be any in it if the frost covers and snow covering remain in place, unless it gets significantly colder.

I just mentioned on the KG thread that the temperature should pick up a little as the week goes by, with Friday being clear and sunny (a whole 1 degrees!). Hopefully that will go some way to get this on.

I mentioned that too on this thread. However, I understand the milder weather is only due to arrive on Christmas day, which doesn't leave a lot of time for any frost to get out of the ground (if it is in in the first place). It could be touch and go, Kempton's apparent optimism aside.

Last edited:
This from the PA.

COLD KEMPTON 4/7 TO BE OFF
The predicted thaw at Kempton is getting later meaning the Boxing Day fixture is in doubt.
The all-weather card on Tuesday is struggling to cope and has to pass a 0700 GMT inpsection to go ahead.
No wonder, then, that the King George fixture is 4/7 to be called off with Ladbrokes.
"The forecast for Christmas Day is 2C and Boxing Day 4C so the trouble is the predicted thaw is getting later," said clerk of the course Barney Clifford.
"The problem is the volume of snow on the track. Just today I tried to move one section of the covering to check the turf underneath and even that was a massive procedure.
"We certainly need a thaw to help us. The forecasts are volatile, that's a problem too.
"So what we are going to do is assess the situation on a 24-hour basis because you can have the best contingency plans in the world but if the weather changes they are useless."
Source: PA

The very heavy snowfall in Dublin is still continuing. There was no hint of it in today's Irish Met Office forecast for the Dublin area.

It will be interesting to hear what Mr Burke at Leopardstown has to say about it. This morning he was expecting soft ground for Sunday.

Back