Novice Chasers 2009/10

Well im not sure that athletics is quite the right comparison, but thats possibly true. Depends if its the mind thats mucking up the hurdling or basic technique

without wishing to bring BOS again, always struck me that the sheer pace of cheltenham compared with small field slog at leopardstown used to expose his jumping more

Tidal bay was probably just jumping better then anyway. He wasnt fluent in a fast tingle creek

Last edited:
without wishing to bring BOS again, always struck me that the sheer pace of cheltenham compared with small field slog at leopardstown used to expose his jumping more

That wouldn't really explain his less-than-fluent jumping on home soil though, would it. He was basically handicapped about 5L every race, just through ponderous jumping.

Don't the laws of physics dictate that, the faster the speed, the easier it is to clear an obstacle?

Talking about this today at Kempton. You hear this a lot but why? Surely its all down to technique and if its not quite right, then you are in more trouble at speed?

Mistakes always seem a lot more costly at cheltenham too. Obvious really given the way the races unfold, but its all part of the equation

Going that bit fast ensures the horse has to rely on instinct/natural ability more perhaps than giving him time to think about it and putting in a safe or ponderous jump. It forces them to bring the best out in themselves as the faster pace is bringing their whole athletic body to its peak performance than say at a slower pace when all their "assets" are not been stretched or used to the max. That could be a load of shite but just my hunch.

I assumed it was about momentum and inertia; there's less effort required to get up and forward if you're already going forward at a decent clip.

Don't the laws of physics dictate that, the faster the speed, the easier it is to clear an obstacle?

Also more likely to get the opposite result if you dont clear too?

im open minded about this, but not entirely sure that every horse benefits from a faster pace when jumping. If it just gets it a bit wrong anyway, then the trouble is multiplied?

I can't see how his jumping improves for going faster? People make the same assumption about Dunguib and how his will improve in the Supreme and I think it will get worse!

The problem with Long Run at Kempton was that he was racing under restraint and Sam Waley-Cohen was having to let the horse jump out of his hands rather than being able to kick him into his fences - remember that he wasn't sure to stay. At Warwick, Sam will be able to be more aggressive which will benefit the horse's jumping in theory.

There was a question about whether he'd done any schooling here prior to the Feltham - Sam was asked in an interview on TF radio about it and said he'd had two short schooling sessions at Seven Barrows.

Surprised to see some of the bookmakers cut Diamond Harry after that success - I thought it was pretty laboured against a poor enough jumper.

Made a couple of mistakes and Bensalem lost a lot of momentum at the cross fence - Diamond Harry has always idoled when he's hit the front though and it was satisfactory, nothing more.

Huge engine no doubt, but jumping errors and if the jockey was French the press would be on his back - Long Run wins easy in the end. Looks certain to go the RSA route now.

Easy success for Long Run - King Edmund been very highly regarded at home and he was brushed aside easily, together with the Nicholls horse.

KE's jumping out to the right didn't help Long Run and IMO LR needs 2m 4f+ - would be daft to run in the Arkle

Last edited:
Huge engine no doubt, but jumping errors and if the jockey was French the press would be on his back - Long Run wins easy in the end. Looks certain to go the RSA route now.
In fairness, his jumping was mostly excellent, and he never lost momentum. He'll have learnt a lot from that and I thought it was a very impressive display.

In fairness, his jumping was mostly excellent, and he never lost momentum. He'll have learnt a lot from that and I thought it was a very impressive display.

I agree with you - the horse is undoubtably top class imo but he did thump one or two fences and without having the benefit of seeng the replays the jockey looks to lose control or dropped his reins on each occasion.

Definitely a stayer and I hope connections see that.

The owners should swallow their pride, ditch the jockey, and get a professional on top. That would sort out some of the (minor) errors - Waley-Cohen makes them look worse than they are with his hail-a-cab antics.

Martin, it would not be "daft" to go for the Arkle......in fact, I'm most insistent that they do! :p

The owners should swallow their pride, ditch the jockey, and get a professional on top. That would sort out some of the (minor) errors - Waley-Cohen makes them look worse than they are with his hail-a-cab antics.

Martin, it would not be "daft" to go for the Arkle......in fact, I'm most insistent that they do! :p
Davy Cottin do for you Grassy?

James Reveley - I'm sure he's at least schooled the horse over at Macaire's (or seen the horses backend on the gallops) ;)

To my untrained eye, SWC is a 7lb penalty on that horse. A combination to oppose at short odds.

Got an email this evening from someone I reckon a very good judge saying 'the jockey is a disaster' for this horse.

Glad it isn't just me thinking that.

(BTW, I backed Liberthine in the National when he rode it and I thought he gave it an excellent ride.)

Back