Novice Chasers 2009/10

They are entitled to have a family member on the horse if thats what they want.He wouldn't be my cup of tea but he has won over the Aintree fences so he isn't incompetent even if he is some way off top class.JP Magnier got plenty of stick for Rhinestone Cowboy but he won 2 Grade 1's on him.
Its not all about landing gambles -family counts for plenty.

I agree entirely. His family own the horse and he's perfectly entitled to ride it. I'm just saying he doesn't seem to me to ride this horse particularly well. Maybe they need a few more outings together.

Mullins on Mikael

He said: "He did his first piece of fast work on Thursday and seems to have come out of it very well. We're going forward with him at long last and he will work again this coming week.
"I know it is late enough in the season and time isn't on our side but I wouldn't rule him out of Cheltenham, where he is entered for the Arkle and the RSA."

Has a novice won at the festival first time out before?

I'd expect a bulletin in a fortnight saying they have run out of time for Cheltenham, and that they will go for the Aintree Hurdle.

I would think he will be ready to run soon, but even if they miss Cheltenham they should stick to fences and try for Fairyhouse and Punchestown.

And risk losing his novice status for next season? I'd be surprised and disappointed if they took that course of action.

I'd rather him to be going for the Gold Cup next year rather than the RSA Chase so if the horse is ready to run soon get 2-3 chase starts into him this season.

SWC is a definite minus to me - he is however no Fred Hutsby who was atrocious and a stone penalty.

And lost them a Coral Cup.

When the billionaire Magnier family sit down and talk about racing do you think they talk about the races JP lost or the races he won.Two Grade 1's and a bumper at the November meeting isn't bad for an amateur -even if he was riding an absolute machine.

The line through Osana would suggest that he isn't all that far behind the likes of Sizing Europe and Captain Cee Bee......which makes me think the Irish 2m novice form is perhaps not everything it has been cracked-up to be. CCB looks very short, imo.

Got an email this evening from someone I reckon a very good judge saying 'the jockey is a disaster' for this horse.

Glad it isn't just me thinking that.

(BTW, I backed Liberthine in the National when he rode it and I thought he gave it an excellent ride.)

Agree with that.

The horse is a monster and I'd have my biggest bet thus far on him in either race with a pro pilot up.

Shakervilz was a 140 plus rated horse at his best over hurdles and he jumped very well yesterday - I certainly would not use him as a means of questioning the Irish novice chase form.

When the billionaire Magnier family sit down and talk about racing do you think they talk about the races JP lost or the races he won.Two Grade 1's and a bumper at the November meeting isn't bad for an amateur -even if he was riding an absolute machine.
He was, of course, excellent on Bellvano.

As of this moment in time i'd see Sports Line as the value. Anybody any idea if he's due another run before Cheltenham? Or if he is a definite for Cheltenham? I never heard what Mullins said after the Irish Arkle.

Shakervilz was a 140 plus rated horse at his best over hurdles and he jumped very well yesterday - I certainly would not use him as a means of questioning the Irish novice chase form.

That's as maybe, Gal.....but the Arkle market is largely based on an assumption that CCB and Sizing are showing a level of form over fences commensurate with their status as hurdlers i.e. well beyond 150.

I've no doubt that CCB and SE go to the Arkle with chances - I just don't think they (CCB in particular) are as far ahead of their contemporaries form-wise as the market suggests. The line through Osana (who appeared to run his race yesterday) only confirms that belief.

Back