Novice Chasers 2009/10

I remember at the time that Sizing Europe won at Christmas I did state that he won well without being at his best that day (as his trainer thought himself) - but still won very comfortably indeed at the line. Like I said - Shakervilz is a 140 plus rated horse over hurdles who has taken to chasing in some style - so I do not take yesterdays form as a knock at all - particularly when Sizing Europe has thumped the fast finishing Major Finnegan earlier in the season as well.

In fairness, there is no way Shakervilz was a 140 horse or anywhere near it over 2 miles over hurdles.

Was dissapointed that Osana couldn't account for yesterday's field tbh. May well be that he wasn't putting it all in but, at the same time, he probably wasn't anywhere near concert pitch yesterday. O'Grady tends to view everything between Christmas and the Festival as mere stepping stones for novices.

Shakervilz looks a much better fence over hurdles - he wouldnt have beaten Osana over 2 miles over hurdles either.

Osana probably did not enjoy the ground that much either and it was much faster at Leopardstown at Christmas.

Shakervilz looks a much better fence over hurdles - he wouldnt have beaten Osana over 2 miles over hurdles either.

Osana probably did not enjoy the ground that much either and it was much faster at Leopardstown at Christmas.

Havn you been drinking (no shame in that) or did you make that post via your mobile?

One of Osana's best efforts came on near bottomless ground in the Greatwood. Seems unlikely that he would have been unsuited by conditions at the weekend.

Maybe I'm wrong about the Irish form, but we're getting to the stage where you have to adopt a position, and I'm inclined to think it's not so good as the market suggests. I would have been much happier if Sports Line had been in against CCB and SE at some stage - I think he is a horse of some promise, and I'd have liked the opportunity to handicap CCB and SE via him, rather than anything else they've been up against.

That seems unlikely to happen before the Arkle, so I'm somewhat forced to guess a bit, and go with what is effectively 90% hunch (no change there then! :D).

I'll take my chance that the English form is a shade better, and my two against the field would be Somersby and Riverside Theatre, with Sports Line to beat both the Irish principals and get in amongst the places.

Sportsline is due to run on Sunday I think.

I think as Osana has gotten older he prefers better ground to really put it all in.

Anyway the Irish runners are not THAT much shorter than the likes of Somersby and Riverside Theatre.

I think as Osana has gotten older he prefers better ground to really put it all in.

His two novice chase wins earlier in the season on Heavy ground, would tend to suggest otherwise.

Anyway the Irish runners are not THAT much shorter than the likes of Somersby and Riverside Theatre.

True, but all things are relative. I'm more opposing them - rightly or wrongly - on form rather than price grounds anway.

Osana's Leopardstown run undoubtedly represents his best chase form imo ~ it's just a pity it wasn't on a track that placed more of an emphasis on stamina.

What's the thinking behind the notion that Sizing Europe was below his best that day btw? Hadn't heard it before I must admit.

Leopardstown is not a test of stamina? Hmmm...

Sizing Europe jumped stickily and was pretty sluggish throughout. I think he is better than that - much.

Leopardstown is not a test of stamina? Hmmm...

Sizing Europe jumped stickily and was pretty sluggish throughout. I think he is better than that - much.

Certainly doesn't place as much emphasis on stamina as Navan, much less Cheltenham.

Point taken about Sizing Europe. My thoughts on him are already well documented and unlikely to change before the big day though!

Long Run confirmed for RSA

I think this is fantastic news. I always hoped that Long Run would go for the RSA as I never thought 2 miles around Cheltenham would suit. Onwards and upwards with Long Run!!!

:)

It's a disaster actually. :(

Regardless, if 2m round Warwick suited Long Run, why would 2m round Cheltemham not suit him?

I just think that he will be taken off his feet around Cheltenham against better opposition and we probably wouldn't see the best of him.

His 3 mile form has worked out from Kempton and in a slower run race, his jumping should stand up better than it would under pressure at 2 miles around Cheltenham.

Why do you think its a disaster?

I just think that he will be taken off his feet around Cheltenham against better opposition and we probably wouldn't see the best of him.

His 3 mile form has worked out from Kempton and in a slower run race, his jumping should stand up better than it would under pressure at 2 miles around Cheltenham.

Why do you think its a disaster?

i thought his jumping got better the quicker they went at warwick, arkle looked perfect for him.

hehe

i also think that the staying novices might not be as good as the 2m novices so maybe choosing the easier route?

plus a bit of extra cash!! :D

<small big smile on his face small>

Just in case the official handicapper is looking in, the form of the Warick race Long Run is worth absolute buttons. It's difficult to think that Long Run had to be anywhere near his best with his main market rivals all let down by their jumping. The fact that a little pony finished second suggests Long Run probably only ran to about 140 I'd say!

I'm looking more at the form of kempton because i thought he beat a decent horse into 2nd and that horse has won since, so has franked the form. And I now also think that his jumping is getting better. He was much better at Warwick and should surely only improve ready for Cheltenham. Think hes rated about 160ish isn't he at the mo?

Just in case the official handicapper is looking in, the form of the Warick race Long Run is worth absolute buttons. It's difficult to think that Long Run had to be anywhere near his best with his main market rivals all let down by their jumping. The fact that a little pony finished second suggests Long Run probably only ran to about 140 I'd say!

:D

The Swinton might be your best option, DJ - the handicapper will toast you over fences.

Some interesting new OHR for the novices that I've stolen off TRF

Diamond Harry 158
Bensalem 143
Tazbar 154
Burton Port 158

Bensalem in the William Hill Trophy - Chaaaaarrrrrrrgeeeeeee.

Back