Novice Chasers 2010/11

Trainer Willie Mullins is in a race against time to get his former Cheltenham winner Fiveforthree back to full fitness for his belated comeback run.The gelding is absent since winning the Ladbrokes.com World Series Hurdle at Punchestown in April 2009 and Mullins told At The Races today "he did his first bit of work the other day and has done two or three pieces of fast work now and I don't know if he's going to go chasing or not yet."
"We can't even school on this ground the way it is at home. He's a good jumper but we might have to review the situation over Christmas and give him another season over hurdles.
"We had intended at the start of the season to go chasing. However, here we are at Christmas and you have to make the most of your novice year.
"If you want to go to Cheltenham, time is running out, but there are lots of chases to be won over there and maybe with that's what we want to do. Maybe we'll start off in a beginners chase, hopefully he'll stay sound and then we can try to get a few more and skip Cheltenham.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Dipper Novices Chase? Looks an interesting renewal. Medermit, Master of the Hall and Sang Bleu all look like they have chances of sorts.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Dipper Novices Chase? Looks an interesting renewal. Medermit, Master of the Hall and Sang Bleu all look like they have chances of sorts.

Gone for Sang Bleu e/way - cant let a Nicholls chaser go off at that price on a Saturday - good luck

Normally I would be in the Reve camp but he's poor value given his jumping last time and the penalty he carries. Was hoping for 8s but he's half that.

Sang Bleu can't seem to get his jumping together on a racecourse. I really worry that he is not safe and will do himself some damage. Pity, he is a lovely-looking horse. Hope that they don't over-face him this term and give him some time to get the hang of things. He is only just a 5yo, so has time on his side.

I know the weather has caused disruption etc, but does anyone else feel this is quite a poor season for 2 mile novice chasers? I am still not convinced by Ghizao, think there is little in Ireland at the moment, and think Finian's Rainbow will take all the beating.

Some of them have other options - difficult to know the line up - hopefully the next few weeks should clear things up.

CODA AGENCY has just easily won the two-miler at Lingfield for David Arbuthnot and now goes chasing, God bless him.

I've had a bet on the Finian's Rainbow/Master Minded double, works out around 19/1, and will continue topping it up in the weeks to come.

Ghizao aside, I'm still struggling to see who else can win the Arkle. One that possible comes to mind is Mullin's Flat out, who won well a week or so back, has strong hurdles form from last season, and the horse he beat easily the last day has some nice form lines that tie in well with Rigour Back Bob and Quito dlr. Quite tempted to take the 20s each way with Boyles, even though he may run in the new novice chase at the festival - I really can't see anything else on the horizon at the moment in terms of the Arkle.

Last edited:
Back