Novice Chasers 2010/11

What do people make of Jessies Dream? Are we writing the horse off because we assume that Mikael D had the measure of it the last day. The horse wasnt fully wound up and im very sweet on him. Does anyone know if the horse goes to the festival, and what race is the target?

What do people make of Jessies Dream? Are we writing the horse off because we assume that Mikael D had the measure of it the last day. The horse wasnt fully wound up and im very sweet on him. Does anyone know if the horse goes to the festival, and what race is the target?

I`m sure he`s going straight to the RSA Del boy.

Finian's Rainbow wins as expected (by the grand total of 51 lengths).

Not for a minute suggesting they should, but lets hope the bookies don't cut him for the Arkle after this.

Irish Arkle on at the weekend weather permitting. Just wondering are entries and weights released for the new 2 1/2 mile novice handicap at Cheltenham? See Noble Prince put in off 142 after two runs over fences. Didn't beat much the first day (Drive on Jim got some easy that day) but watched his second race with keen interest again today. He just seemed to get outpaced between 3 and 2 out and stayed on again into second without ever remotely threatening Realth Dubh. Meets him on same terms but possibly could turn the tables at a decent price as he gave away acres by going wide and Nolans horses were certainly under a cloud at the time. It's only three weeks ago but his horses have turned a corner since so at 8/1 may be my only betting interest at the weekend.
If they are out to protect his mark then it will be a wasted bet but I cannot really see them turning down a chance to win a G1 in order to pull a punt in a handicap? Admittedly 2m4f would suit better but this is well accounted for in the price.
Don't think either of Mullins two are top drawer.

I confess to finding almost all the Irish novice chasers a pretty uninspiring bunch this season, and - unless MDH does something spectacular in the Moriarty - reckon they will struggle to land a blow in the Arkle and RSA. Finians and Gizhao seem pretty solid options in the former, and Time For Rupert is the stone nap of the meeting in the latter, imo.

Many of my favourite horses over the years have been Irish-trained , so this isn't xenophobia speaking, they just look a desperately and unusually average lot this season, to me.

Last edited:
I confess to finding almost all the Irish novice chasers a pretty uninspiring bunch this season, and reckon they will struggle to land a blow in the Arkle and RSA. Finians and Gizhao seem pretty solid options in the former, and Time For Rupert is the stone nap of the meeting in the latter, imo.

Many of my favourite horses over the years have been Irish-trained , so this isn't xenophobia speaking, they just look a desperately and unusually average lot this season, to me.

I agree with every word of that. I can't remember being as unexcited about a batch of irish novices as present

I confess to finding almost all the Irish novice chasers a pretty uninspiring bunch this season, and - unless MDH does something spectacular in the Moriarty - reckon they will struggle to land a blow in the Arkle and RSA. Finians and Gizhao seem pretty solid options in the former, and Time For Rupert is the stone nap of the meeting in the latter, imo.

I agree with that but think there must be something so am looking harder - what about Mullins Flat Out?

If you're having to look hard, Hamm, they probably aren't there. Top-class novices advertise themselves usually.

Indeed, and you're probably right. I still think antepost there is each way value to be had despite the fact Finian's Rainbow and Ghizao look like the only two who would even run in a normal year.

I have gone through the antepost list several times, and there is nothing there (with the exception of Flat Out) - the rest are comprised of those that won't go chasing (Oscar Whiskey), those that are around 2 stone light of being good enough (Loosen my Load) and others owned by Buckley who are highly unlikely to run with Finian's Rainbow at the head of the market (Surfing, Spirit River).

Very disappointing year.

Does Nicholls have anything I am missing out on?

Last edited:
Given the weather and broken up race programme - I think it has been particularly difficult for the novice chasers and it is hardly that big a surprise that no clear stand out has emerged.

Fair enough - just looking to get a picture of the Arkle.

Do any of you have any novice chasers you're looking forward to seeing run with the Arkle in mind?

The weather has interrupted plans fair enough, but i'm not sure if something that has yet to run will burst on the scene considering its almost Feb now

I agree - it will be at Cheltenham, Punchestown and Aintree that the novices will really be sorted out. Granted that happens every year but it will be more "murky" in the build up to those festivals.

Money for Flat Out yesterday would indicate that he's the number one Arkle hope from the yard and surely something like the Powers Gold Cup would be more of Blazing Temp's race - or failing that there should be a few mares only chases for her in Ireland.

Martin

Last edited:
Kingmaker may be next for Finian's Rainbow according to Henderson. I just watched his run yesterday again - he looks to have jumped really well, has loads of speed yet that extra bit of stamina that is needed for an Arkle. I'm going to build up quite a position on him if possible - I already have him in a decent double with Master Minded.

Last edited:
Captain Chris has a lot of ground to make up, but if he irons out his jumping mistakes?????

Screw this, Finian's and Ghizao should be 2s and 3s respectively.

At the moment, they are only taking out 28% of the market. That has to be wrong?

Kingmaker may be next for Finian's Rainbow according to Henderson. I just watched his run yesterday again - he looks to have jumped really well, has loads of speed yet that extra bit of stamina that is needed for an Arkle. I'm going to build up quite a position on him if possible - I already have him in a decent double with Master Minded.

Just a couple of wobbles from Finian's, but on the whole you wouldn't want to crab him.

Back