Novice Chasers 2010/11

Not sure, but it used to be restricted to 6yo and below (I seem to remember Like A Butterfly couldn't run in the Festival bumper for this reason).

Bumpers in the UK are restricted to horses six years old and under although there are some mares bumpers which are open to seven year olds. Horses are allowed to run four times in bumper races with a fifth run allowed in a champion bumper only (Cheltenham, Aintree, Punchestown). There is no restriction on horses running twice in the Champion bumper so long as they fit the above criteria. I believe that in Ireland there is still no limit on the amount of bumpers a horse may run in?

Money for Flat Out yesterday would indicate that he's the number one Arkle hope from the yard and surely something like the Powers Gold Cup would be more of Blazing Temp's race - or failing that there should be a few mares only chases for her in Ireland.

Martin

Donn Mclean on Irish radio said tonight that Flat Out is his arkle horse and he has backed him accordingly

Donn Mclean on Irish radio said tonight that Flat Out is his arkle horse and he has backed him accordingly

He was all about him on the Irish Field at the weekend too! A lot of what he was on about made sense but relying heavily on his fifth to Menorah in the Supreme last year. The time of his debut fencing victory was good despite being unextended and taking the last out by the roots!! Jury is still out whether he is up to the top two English protanganists. We will find out more on Sunday - there seems to be a staggering lack of depth in the novice chasing brigade this year.

Flat Out now 2/1 Fav in places - Quel Esprit taken out - Realth Dubh out to 7/2 in places , Noble Prince 11/2. A no bet race for me now.

Oh, sorry, Chronic - I should've read this first. I opened an 'Out for the Season' topic to contain everyone knocked out for one reason or t'other with FLAT OUT. Never mind - if it's worth saying, it's worth saying twice!

HRI DIRECTIVE 4​
Race Conditions for I.N.H. Flat Races​
The conditions that shall apply for I.N.H. Flat Races are laid out in HRI Directive 4:​
i. Race Conditions​
a. No race shall be programmed over a distance less than two miles.
b. No race shall be programmed for a horse under four years of age.
c. No race shall be programmed for a horse over seven years of age.​
ii. Weight for Age​
a. The scale of Weight For Age shall be the same as that for hurdle races as set
out in Appendix C.​
iii. Qualification​
A horse shall not be qualified to start for an I.N.H. flat race if:
a. It has run in a Flat race or Steeplechase.
b. It has run in a Hurdle race as a three year old.
c. It has run in more than two Hurdle races.
d. It has won a Hurdle race.
e. It has run in six or more races of any kind under the Rules of any Turf
Authority. (The restriction does not apply to the number of times a winner of
an I.N.H. Flat race or a N.H Flat race run in Great Britain can run in I.N.H.​
Flat races).

This is probably not the right thread for this discussion, but never mind.

There are no junior bumpers in Ireland. Another difference is that you can run in up to two hurdle races and still run in bumpers. (However, the conditions for the champion bumper at Punchestown exclude horses that have run in a hurdle race).

Maidens can run in bumpers indefinitely, it would seem, until the end of their seventh year. Winners of bumpers find themselves highly restricted, though, in the races they can go for. They have roughly one race a month open to them, since the great majority of bumpers are for maidens. Winners also have to carry a penalty in the races they can enter, apart from the graded events.

Can bumper winners in Britain generally run in most other bumpers, with a penalty of course?

Yes, generally. They wouldn't be able to run in a maiden bumper but there aren't many of them around. There are restrictions on winners in intermediate bumpers as well.

Can someone more measured than myself (like Bar :D) wade through this and tell me why I shouldn't be calling the bank manager to back Finian's Rainbow?

GHIZAO AND RAINBOW HEAD ARKLE ENTRIES

Finian's Rainbow are amongst 34 horses entered for the Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase at Cheltenham in March.
Finian's Rainbow, who has won both starts at Newbury this season, is one of five entries from trainer Nicky Henderson. The Seven Barrows handler, who has won the race three times, could also be represented by French imports Surfing and Nadiya De La Vega with Bellvano and Giorgio Quercus completing the quintet.
Henderson said: "He (Finian's Rainbow) will have another race before Cheltenham but we're inconvenienced that the Kingmaker Novices' Chase at Warwick is on the same day as the Tote Gold Trophy which rules that race out for him.
"It's the obvious race but it doesn't suit the owners and the jockeys who are all at Newbury."
Paul Nicholls last won the Arkle in 2003 with the brilliant Azertyuiop and Ghizao appears to represent his best chance of a repeat having impressively beaten Captain Chris over course and distance in November before, again, getting the better of that rival at Newbury last month. Nicholls has also entered Pepe Simo, runner-up to Nadiya De La Vega at Kempton, and Robinson Collonges.
The Irish challenge is headed by Sunday's Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle one-two Realt Dubh and Noble Prince. However, Willie Mullins has handed entries to Quel Esprit and Mikael D'Haguenet as well as Blazing Tempo and Morning Supreme whilst Edward O'Grady could be represented by Torphichen.
Medermit, second in the Tigmi Travel Dipper Novices' Chase, could represent Alan King and could be joined by another high-class hurdler in Starluck who has yet to jump a fence in public.
William's Wishes, Phidippides and West With The Wind could represent Evan Williams, David Pipe has handed entries to Dan Breen and Mamlook whilst Kilmurry, Captain Chris and Rock Noir are other notable entries.

I have backed him in a single bet but also did a little double with him and J'Y Vole today.

I think Finian's Rainbow has potential jumping frailties and would love to see him tried in more competitive company before heading to the festival. He's one I'll be keen to take on at this stage.

The Field, I expect. :lol:

Any particular reasoning behind this notion, rory, or is it more of a hunch, with you expecting a sterner test to perhaps expose some?

I have to say, I've not seen any evidence of jumping frailties myself (I think he makes a pretty decent shape, to be honest) and I like the way he approaches his fences (looks to enjoy the experience).

I'm not staying he's stuck-on, and I agree that an outing in better company with more horses around him would be illuminating, but I really quite like him for the Arkle at this stage. He just has the stamp of a good 2m novice, to my eyes.

The Field, I expect. :lol:

Any particular reasoning behind this notion, rory, or is it more of a hunch, with you expecting a sterner test to perhaps expose some?

I have to say, I've not seen any evidence of jumping frailties myself (I think he makes a pretty decent shape, to be honest) and I like the way he approaches his fences (looks to enjoy the experience).

I'm not staying he's stuck-on, and I agree that an outing in better company with more horses around him would be illuminating, but I really quite like him for the Arkle at this stage. He just has the stamp of a good 2m novice, to my eyes.

Similar to your thoughts on the GC as you posted on another thread - its getting difficult to find one against him so by default he looks the likely winner.

Time For Rupert will now head to the RSA Chase not having run since mid-December and the last 47 RSA winners had run during the same calendar year and, secondly, he will also now contest that Grade 1 novice event off the back of just two chase runs and only one RSA winner had run over fences less than three times since 1991 (Florida Pearl in a sub-standard year bar him).
In the last two renewals alone, four very strongly-fancied novices entered the RSA Chase off the back of just two chase runs and all four (Punchestowns, Diamond Harry, What A Friend and Killyglen) were unplaced. Ouch.
Paul Jones is author of The Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide published by Weatherbys

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/jan/28/live-racing-january-28-2011

Was Killyglen really 'very strongly fancied' for the RSA? He went off 12/1 in a race where Cooledine was 9/4f. There were at least five horses ahead of him in the betting. More sloppy journalism.

Back