Novice Chasers 2010/11

I'm already on for small money. Like you, I think it's worth taking a small punt on it. Most horses improve their ratings sooner or later by about 10lbs when they go from hurdles to fences. The words 'most', 'sooner' and 'later' are key, however.

Yes, but as this is the race I've always wanted for him I'm willing to bet it's more likely than not. It will be seen as an inspired switch if it does work out, but criticised if it doesn't. I'm banking on the fact that he has been screaming for this race in work at home.

I've had a bit more than a modest bet at this stage (although I'll no doubt have more on later), as I feel it is the right move.

Last edited:
I'd love to see him do so, but this logic is warped. Starluck is not particularly likely to show any improvement at all as a chaser (it's perfectly possible he will, of course, but it's not actually probable at all), certainly not within the next couple of weeks.

Incidentally Rory I'd be genuinely interested in why you do not think Starluck will make the grade as a chaser. I’m very hopeful he’d be ideal for this race. I didn't say it was "probable" that he'd show improvement, but I do believe he will.

He's not especially big, but I'm hopeful he will jump correctly and is cut out as a speed chaser.

Last edited:
'Only Martin Pipe wins the Arkle with small, Flat-bred rats' - A great quote from a very wise man when it comes to racing.

'Only Martin Pipe wins the Arkle with small, Flat-bred rats' - A great quote from a very wise man when it comes to racing.

A good quote indeed… Not so sure it applies to Starluck though. He’s proved much better as a hurdler than we ever saw of him on the Flat and if a rat he’s one that can apparently jump.

Incidentally Rory I'd be genuinely interested in why you do not think Starluck will make the grade as a chaser. I’m very hopeful he’d be ideal for this race. I didn't say it was "probable" that he'd show improvement, but I do believe he will.

He's not especially big, but I'm hopeful he will jump correctly and is cut out as a speed chaser.

I'm very much with DJ - I think he'd have at least as much chance of big race success if switched back to the Flat as he is over fences. I like him, but he does not strike me as anything like a certainty to take to fences, given his build and running style. He's unexposed on the Flat and won easily off a mark of 92 when last seen - that isn't the profile of a nascent chaser imo. I don't mind being proven wrong, but I can't see it.

I'm very much with DJ - I think he'd have at least as much chance of big race success if switched back to the Flat as he is over fences. I like him, but he does not strike me as anything like a certainty to take to fences, given his build and running style. He's unexposed on the Flat and won easily off a mark of 92 when last seen - that isn't the profile of a nascent chaser imo. I don't mind being proven wrong, but I can't see it.

Thanks rory… It never fails to amaze me that people so immersed in this game can have such different perspectives. To me this one is a speed chaser waiting to happen. He exudes an ability that I believe can only ever fully be expressed in races such as the Arkle. I just don't see him as right for the Flat. The scant preparation does worry me, but the move is one that I have been hoping against hope would happen.

No worries Steve - hope you don't see my posts as knocking you on your betting choices. Simply my perspective, and there'll be no "I told you so"s from me in 3 weeks. Except about Finian's Rainbow, of course. :blink:

Market hasn't gone against Finian's at all - have a look at Oddschecker. 4/1 with most firms.

Market hasn't gone against Finian's at all - have a look at Oddschecker. 4/1 with most firms.

On closer inspection...... he had just moved to third fav on the front page. I would be seriously considering backing him if he were to drift a little more - who the f*** are Sporting Bet?

No worries Steve - hope you don't see my posts as knocking you on your betting choices. Simply my perspective, and there'll be no "I told you so"s from me in 3 weeks. Except about Finian's Rainbow, of course. :blink:

Doesn’t matter in the end what anyone says or thinks rory. The success of it will be determined by how much expansion is required in the ‘returns’ satchel.;)

Bishopsfurze (7/4) takes on Hidden Cyclone (5/4) in the race of the day at Thurles.

Bishopsfurze is my idea of an Albert Bartlett horse.

Hidden Cyclone is a good marker. Not sure if I want to bet in the race today, but my temptation is to back the Bishop now for the Alb Bart at 25/1.

Does anybody know if he is due to run in this, or in the Neptune?

Is Bishopsfurze the horse that kicked them out of the ground on debut? Mullins said after it that he wasnt surprised, that he had shown little respect to them at home. Horse has an engine, but his hurdling would be a worry.

Starluck's chasing debut a race where you see what you want to see. Bit high early on, tended to jump left and got in bit close a couple of times. Or class shone through and won easily, all systems go. I'm still against him.

Back