Novice Chasers 2010/11

Nothing wrong with that re Starluck. Slight skew to the left but otherwise very correct. Flew the ditch. Won very easily... all you could wish to see really.

He's already as low as 7/1. He looks a real danger to all of them in the Arkle even on this little evidence.

Steve, I'd consider laying back some of your stake based on comments from jockey and trainer.

McCoy said afterwards: "I'm pleased enough with that. He's very brave and even though there's no doubt he lacks a bit of size, he's not frightened and has loads of bottle.
"At times you can just feel the little horse finds it a bit tough, but for a small horse, he has plenty of courage.
"I said to Alan that I'm not sure it would be fair on him to go straight to the Arkle and we've got to do what's right for the horse."
Fleming said: "He's a plucky and brave horse. There were a couple of little novicey mistakes, but overall Tony was pleased.
"We won't make a decision on the Arkle today and we'll let the dust settle. What we might do is go for a race at Sandown at the Imperial Cup meeting and then go to Aintree.
"That could be fairer on the horse. It's two weeks to the Imperial Cup meeting (March 12) and we know he's more suited to Aintree.
"It was his first time (over fences) and he's probably not done as much over fences as a normal novice at this time of year.
"You have to get it right, there's Aintree and Punchestown as well so it's important to try to win one of those before the end of the season or today has been a waste of time.
"The Arkle horses might not be as good as the Champion ones at the moment, so he might just have a better opportunity there. I'd hold fire (on bets) until Sunday or Monday.
"Andrew Waites (owner) is back in the country tomorrow, so we'll have a big chat and do what's best for the horse, make a decision from there."

Their plan of actions sounds like the Joe Jo Star route. I hope for connections of Starluck it goes a little better than Joe Jo's FF adventure.

A very taking performance but I am rather baffled why they have done a Diamond Harry - it is takes an exceptional animal to win the big G1 races with so little experience - aka Well Chief.

Steve, I'd consider laying back some of your stake based on comments from jockey and trainer.

Cheers Hamm. Sensible comments from McCoy. I think it a bit unfair myself to rush him into the Arkle. Nevertheless I'd love to see him take part with more of a prep.

Connections on the other hand would have intentionally switched him now with the Arkle in mind and I'm not sure they will want to go anywhere else. I don't know what more they might have expected from today.

Last edited:
A very taking performance but I am rather baffled why they have done a Diamond Harry - it is takes an exceptional animal to win the big G1 races with so little experience - aka Well Chief.

Indeed so. Very 11th hour. I'd love to see him in the race but it's asking a lot.

SteveM - Straight after the race you said 'he's a real danger to all' now you're saying regarding even his participation 'it's asking a lot'. What's changed in the last hour?

SteveM - Straight after the race you said 'he's a real danger to all' now you're saying regarding even his participation 'it's asking a lot'. What's changed in the last hour?

Nothing... I believe he is a real danger to anything in the race.

Also it's a big ask for any young horse to switch so late.

I've said all along that although I want to see him in the Arkle they decided to go for it a bit late for my liking. I consoled myself that they must have had it in mind for longer than we knew about.

Last edited:
Starluck didnt do it badly yesterdybutI think it was a very bad move by his trainer to run him there.

I dont think a small field in a little race round Huntingdon provides him more experience than a schooling sesion in training and they ahve lost the novice status for next season,
I would have run straightly in the Arkle and then map the plans in consequence.

I believe it did him a bit of good. He got too close to one and fiddled it, pecked at another but corrected himself at the next. He was impressive at the ditches... so I think it was a worthwhile excercise. I'd just like to have seen it a few weeks ago.

They might now give him another Novice and miss Cheltenham for an Aintree/Punchestown campaign. I don't think this would have done him any harm for the Arkle though.

starluck did well but unless for some reason they are extremely confident of winning the arkle which the huntingdon race race couldnt have told them agree with sb a bad move by the trainer should either have started earlier and got the experience or left it to next year connections may regret this route next year

Thanks BH. I rather thought that the owner switched for the very reason that he fancied this... However, Starluck still seems to be a range of prices... anywhere from 6/1 to 16/1. I suppose we can expect to see his price harden now.

Despite having a very slight preference for Medermit I think Starluck could well win this and would hoover up the remaining value while you can.

Starluck apparently is a non runner, Ted Walsh said it at Woodland's preview night, Paul Ryan from Paddy Power also said this at the Paddy Power preview night.

Don't know what's going on with Starluck. He's been one of the best backed horses in the Festival for the Arkle overnight. If individuals know he's not running it doesn't seem common knowledge.

There could be a difference of opinion between owner and trainer. He's still widely quoted at shorter prices than before.:confused:

Don't know what's going on with Starluck. He's been one of the best backed horses in the Festival for the Arkle overnight. If individuals know he's not running it doesn't seem common knowledge.

There could be a difference of opinion between owner and trainer. He's still widely quoted at shorter prices than before.:confused:

The market says he is running - no doubt!

The market says he is running - no doubt!

Indeed... it would be surprising if he doesn't. The info being put out by Walsh and Plunkett could be stale... they have probably gone on what Fleming was saying two or three days ago. The owner might be saying something different.

Back