Novice Chasers 2010/11

Uncle Tom Cobley caught my eye in race won by Saludos today. I've not seen a head on yet but he didn't look to be given a hard time from 3 out and everything points to him being a better chaser than hurdler (pedigree/physique etc). Wouldn't be surprised if he made up into a graded-class performer before the season's out.

Think Ninetieth Minute is pretty interesting in the next at Navan - appears to be lots of confidence behind the Harrington horse (stable in great form) but think he will run well today and is definitely a nice prospect for these larger obstacles.

Have to say I thought Nicky O'Shea's ride on Uncle Tom Cobley was pretty shocking in that race. The in-running comment, which states ridden in 4th 3 out, is utterly wrong ~ O'Shea hardly moves a muscle between the third last and two out. When he does make an effort the horse evidently keeps on quite nicely - albeit out of camera - to regain third on the line.

Brilliant links to the horses, Perpetual, which make comparisons very easy. Thanks! Rupey is miles ahead in prize money won, and his rating over hurdles - 159. Just hope he loves the big stuff. Can't wait to see him now, but with fingers painfully x'd!

Shadz: please help me out here. It mentions 'races under rules' and 'PtP'. Can you explain the diff for me, please? I'm confoozled.

Last edited:
Kri – it was by luck if I’m honest

Agreed it should be the race of the day if 2 or 3 of these turn up and Reve de Sivola will be burdened with my cash

Shadz: please help me out here. It mentions 'races under rules' and 'PtP'. Can you explain the diff for me, please? I'm confoozled.

It does what is says on the tin, Kri! For the last year or so, the Racing Post have included English point to point form in the horses statistics in so far as they will include straight stats - ie number of runs and number of wins/placings - in the summary at the top of the page but no actual form in the lists of runs. They've included Irish point ot point form for a few years now but with the actual form of the race included in the lists of runs also. For example, look at Denman's form and you'll be able to look at the result from his point to point run.

Point to pointing, although recognised by the BHA and run under a set of their rules, doesn't conform to the same rules as NH/Flat racing. Hence NH/Flat racing is classified as 'under rules' [under the rules of racing] and point to pointing, arab racing and pony racing, although run under some sort of BHA rules, are classified as not being sports run 'under rules'

Last edited:
Ah, so, Shadz! Thanks for that - it's close to what I was thinking it must be, but not quite close enough for me to be sure. Thank God we have some expert knowledge on here to tap now and then.

Durrty boy, Bar!

Redhead: TIME FOR RUPERT swerves Bangor and goes in the 4.05 at Cheltenham on Friday, as you reported earlier. There are a helluva lot more in that at this stage! :( But he does know the course all right, so here's hoping for a very good debut.

Wymott made a very nice debut over an inadequate trip at Bangor beating the useful hurdler Tarablaze in the process.

Wymott had beaten subsequent Grade 1 winner Wayward Prince (himself a winner on his chasing debut) on his final hurldes start in a Grade 2 at Haydock last February.

Medermit refuses at Huntingdon !

In the same race they disqualified Sergeant Pink for reasons I can't quite understand. There was certainly a coming together, but nothing major from what I could see and I thought Serge was on top anyway. Is Huntingdon in France? :D

I would be interested to see a head-on though.

They showed the head-on several times on RUK, but more revealingly, a shot from behind the horses. That clearly showed that Jamie Moore's horse was being leaned on all the way to the dividing rail, and Jamie had to snatch up to avoid going on to the wrong course.

The winning distance was three parts of a length, so it was a tough call for the Stewards. But I think they probably got it right and Sergeant Pink's connections shouldn't feel too hard done by.

Wymott made a very nice debut over an inadequate trip at Bangor beating the useful hurdler Tarablaze in the process.

Wymott had beaten subsequent Grade 1 winner Wayward Prince (himself a winner on his chasing debut) on his final hurldes start in a Grade 2 at Haydock last February.

Yes, that was a nice debut. I would point out, however, that on paper the trip looked inadequate not only for the winner but for just about every horse in the race bar the 18/1 second, Pearlysteps.

They showed the head-on several times on RUK, but more revealingly, a shot from behind the horses. That clearly showed that Jamie Moore's horse was being leaned on all the way to the dividing rail, and Jamie had to snatch up to avoid going on to the wrong course.

The winning distance was three parts of a length, so it was a tough call for the Stewards. But I think they probably got it right and Sergeant Pink's connections shouldn't feel too hard done by.

Connections are going to appeal.

I think they have to.

I seem to be in the minority who think the stewards must have tossed a coin to come up with that decision.

Some novice chase tomorrow - Time For Rupert, Reve De Sivola, Mr Thriller, and Quantitativeeasing amongst others. Should be very informative.

Back