Novice Chasers 2011-12

There's a huge argument for backing the front 3.

I am firmly in the Peddlers Cross camp but do think that this makes perfect sense. Certainly a saver on the other two in the event of a mishap wouldn't go amiss.

At this stage it is hard to see anything else getting involved.

Its very dissappointing that all the top Irish novices need near bottomless ground to be seen at their best

Granger do you mean just the Irish two mile novices are all the novices, i tend to worry less about the ground they race on because more often than not they have no choice, Noble Prince & Realt Dubh for example rarely had good ground...Personally I think Irelands best novice chaser or at worse near the very top will be Sir Des Champs (who also only met good ground at Chelts), hopefully he goes for the RSA and not the Jewson, otherwise:rolleyes:.

Tanlic. I loved Katchit (admittedly won a lot with him, so pocket talking a bit) and agree what he achieved has been too easily downplayed (he wasnt a popular winner on here with the stats people amongst others and they are still moaning i reckon)

Last edited:
Granger do you mean just the Irish two mile novices are all the novices, i tend to worry less about the ground they race on because more often than not they have no choice, Noble Prince & Realt Dubh for example rarely had good ground...Personally I think Irelands best novice chaser or at worse near the very top will be Sir Des Champs (who also only met good ground at Chelts), hopefully he goes for the RSA and not the Jewson, otherwise:rolleyes:.

The best novice in Ireland so far this season imo has been Bog Warrior and connections have said that he won't be run unless there is alot of give in the ground.

The same goes for the majority of the Gigginstown horses. Last Instalment springs to mind also also whom P Fenton said prob won't run at Cheltenham owing to his preference for softer ground

Sir Des Champs is certainly exciting. He is entered in the 2m nov chase on Day 1 at Leopardstown

I will be surprised if it is not Blackstairmountain that lines up in that Granger, I think First Lieutenants next run will influence what race Sir Des Champs lines up in at Cheltenham.

Doubt FL will make Leopardstown. Gigginstown don't mind running their own against each other generally either

If he is good enough, major let down so far FL cant help thinking there has too much cotton wool wrapped round him by MM, yet to see DR fire him at a fence, not given up hope yet but I get the vibe Sir Des Champs is now higher up the pecking order.

Last edited:
Surely comparing the time of his Triumph versus that of Celestial Halo on what was different ground, especially if you then exaggerate the difference (12.8 secs by my count) is the most spurious of arguments, as is the fact that he was the youngest Champion winner in years. That doesn't make him a better than average Champion winner, and anyone who watched that wretched contest will conclude that it was one of the worst renewals in living memory. Katchit was a cracking juvenile,he really was, but he progressed not one jot after.

So what you are saying is he was a better juvenile than a senior having not improved so he would have won the Champion Hurdle as a 4 year old.

Been a lot of them since the war :blink:

Tanlic. I loved Katchit (admittedly won a lot with him, so pocket talking a bit) and agree what he achieved has been too easily downplayed (he wasnt a popular winner on here with the stats people amongst others and they are still moaning i reckon)
I remeber well you backed it as did Gareth and I at 12/1 AP after he flopped at Newcastle which everyone and their uncles seemed to know before the race he was going to win.

Alan King did a brilliant job of getting him back after the Fighting Fifth when he clearly wasn't himself in the paddock.

John Quinn thought his horse would murder him in the Kingwell and no way Tanlic could outspeed him. He seldom gets it wrong but was gobsmacked at how easily Katchit diposed of him as he didn't even look fully wound up for the race.

No wonder he never recovered the horse is the size of a pit pony and it's a near mircale Alan found the improvement he did to win the CH..

Last edited:
Hopefully we will find out some more at Kempton on the 27th, with Sprinter Sacre a probable and Peddlers a possible after avoiding Haydock at the weekend

Cue Card looks to be heading to Newbury on New Years eve. From the Sporting Life:

Cue Card is likely to run at Newbury on New Year's Eve after bypassing an engagement at Plumpton on Monday.
Trainer Colin Tizzard has now earmarked the Betfred Goals Galore Novices' Chase as the next port of call for the 2010 champion bumper winner.
A trip to Plumpton had been mooted, with Tizzard tempted by the £60,000 bonus for any horse that can win in East Sussex and follow up at Cheltenham in March, but Cue Card's presence had scared off any meaningful opposition.
Connections would instead rather give him a sterner test.
Tizzard said: "We could have gone to Plumpton but nobody wanted to take us on, they had to reopen it, and there would have only been two of us.
"We were very tempted. A 9.55am on Sunday we were nearly going to go, but we decided to wait instead."

Last edited:
I was told ten days ago that the plan was the Irish Arkle-something obviously happened last week.
They were delighted with Sizing Europe and believe he is a bet at 3/1 for the Champion Chase.

There's a huge argument for backing the front 3.

Not that it would matter if if one wins but the race always has a great look to it with horses beating nothing and punter's imaginations running wild.

Year after year at looks agreat race in the making but something happens to spoil the party. It would be great if all 3 can go there unbeaten and in one piece. Add Cue Card and Meonorah, if he can bounce back, to the list and it could be the best race of the festival.

...bit early to be writing this one off isn't it. Looks to have everything in place to be a very competent novice chaser. No telling yet how good he might be.

Coudl be very competent but unlikely to be top class. My Christmas present to myself this year will be a top voucher on Peddlers and half stake on Sprinter. All things being equal, I will continue doing so until mid March.

My Christmas present to myself this year will be a top voucher on Peddlers and half stake on Sprinter. All things being equal, I will continue doing so until mid March.

...the exact same weighting that I have in Peddlers favour... looks gilt-edged in these markets.

Back