Novice Chasers 2011-12

Bog Warrior and Sir Des Champs taken out

Hope BW runs in the PJ Moriarity now instead

Indeed... The price was too good to be true.

I'm praying for rain in March now... And a hushed silence when Sprinter Sacre is getting a distant view of BW's rear end in the Arkle.

I can but hope!!!

Henderson said: "Either Sprinter Sacre or Kid Cassidy will run, but not both. Sprinter Sacre worked this morning and he's very fit and very well. He'll either run at Doncaster, but we're also toying with the Game Spirit (at Newbury on February 11).

Tony Martin on Bog Warrior

"He's fine, I've just decided to wait an extra week so we can get a bit more done with him. There are plenty of races coming up for him and I just felt this weekend was coming a week too soon, so we've decided to give it a miss."

I'd hope BW runs one more time before Cheltenham Aragon to be honest

Yeah I agree - he needs more experience but given the way he jumps (assuming last time was just a mistake borne out of enthusiasm) once should be enough. Although I still thinks it odds against he'll line up at Cheltenham.

Indeed... The price was too good to be true.

I'm praying for rain in March now... And a hushed silence when Sprinter Sacre is getting a distant view of BW's rear end in the Arkle.

I can but hope!!!

I really like Bog Warrior I even got slagged for saying he could be an Irish Banker for the fetival but win the Arkle? He'd be taken out of his comfort zone so fast his head would spin.

You should really go back and have a long look at Sptinter Sacre at Kempton.

This is no ordinary horse. They can make all the excuses they want to about Peddlars Cross but when he came to try and challenge Spinter Sacre he was absolutely flying, yet the big horse was simply cruising and all he did to dispose of the Champion Hurdle 2nd was lengthen his stride a tad and with virutally no effort he eased away from him like he was a selling plater.

Even if PC wasn't 100% the amount of improvemnt he would have to show just to go with him and then actually get past is more than anyone can seriously expect.

This is a machine, this Sprinter Sacre, a total beast of a horse and nothing will even come close to beating him let alone Bog Warrior at 2 miles, who is more of a future Gold Cup horse in the making than he is a 2 miler. :p

Last edited:
Is Hidden Cyclone definitely running on Saturday?

Heard nothing to the contrary... They did speak about a winners of one after the last day but the Shark rarely wastes an entry fee. It's not the greatest renewal, you would imagine they will have to go for it. Moral?

Was fav yesterday.... Doesn't appear in the market today... Non runner I'd say

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought Bob's Worth will get that near to Grands Crus. Grands Crus and Sprinter Sacre are likely to prove head and shoulders above the rest in their division. I hope they will both stick to novice company for now. I wouldn't like to see GC in the Gold Cup.

Yes they both look very impressive, but given that every feltham winner that has gone on to run in the rsa has been beaten, and five horses placed in the feltham have gone on to win the rsa.

As for SPRINTERS, theres to much hype for my liking, just like TIME FOR RUPERT and CUE CARD last year, both left languishing lengths behind.

2 great races good luck:p

Notwithstanding that I always claim winning times in NH as wholly irrelevant (even more so on different days). Just to clarify Sprinter Sacre's race time was actually a second quicker on slower ground carrying a pound more and eased towards the line (as opposed to Menorah being driven out).

If I was on Menorah my main concern wouldn't be his jumping it would be that he simply isn't goood enough. Even if he jumped like a stag, barring incidents I would be amazed if he possessed enough ability to beat the front three in the market.

Im mainly looking for value, 9/4 for SS is poor. where 11/1 MENORAH given that he can improve with each run just as CAPTAIN CHRIS did last year. I would soon rather have MENORAH ew than to bank on SS beating the lot.

You are right SS was eased down and MENORAH was driven right out, but Menorah was given a better test and would of learnt alot. Whereas SS is just crushing the opposition. We will see what happens when the real test comes.

good luck:p

Im mainly looking for value, 9/4 for SS is poor. where 11/1 MENORAH given that he can improve with each run just as CAPTAIN CHRIS did last year. I would soon rather have MENORAH ew than to bank on SS beating the lot.

You are right SS was eased down and MENORAH was driven right out, but Menorah was given a better test and would of learnt alot. Whereas SS is just crushing the opposition. We will see what happens when the real test comes.

9/4 on the winner will always be better value than 11/1 on an also ran;):D.

Nah but in all honesty I wouldn't put anybody off Menorah as an each way prospect, I would rather be on him than Cue Card but I would still be bitterly disappointed if either proved good enough to win.

Last edited:
I really like Bog Warrior I even got slagged for saying he could be an Irish Banker for the fetival but win the Arkle? He'd be taken out of his comfort zone so fast his head would spin.

You should really go back and have a long look at Sptinter Sacre at Kempton.

This is no ordinary horse. They can make all the excuses they want to about Peddlars Cross but when he came to try and challenge Spinter Sacre he was absolutely flying, yet the big horse was simply cruising and all he did to dispose of the Champion Hurdle 2nd was lengthen his stride a tad and with virutally no effort he eased away from him like he was a selling plater.

Even if PC wasn't 100% the amount of improvemnt he would have to show just to go with him and then actually get past is more than anyone can seriously expect.

This is a machine, this Sprinter Sacre, a total beast of a horse and nothing will even come close to beating him let alone Bog Warrior at 2 miles, who is more of a future Gold Cup horse in the making than he is a 2 miler. :p

Fist, don't get me wrong, if it's gd or gd to soft I don't think Bog Warrior will run and even if he did Sprinter Sacre would probably beat him. I was seriously impressed like most people. However, if it was soft, the way Bog Warrior jumped the time before last makes me think that if he got out in front they wouldn't peg him back. He's going to be better over further in time but the likes of Kicking King have run well in the Arkle before and granted his conditions he rates the biggest danger to the favourite.

Hell of a year for Novice chasers.

It is that, even Cue Card is joning in the fun :) I read the trainer said he was in no hurry with Bog Warrior but I would dealy love to see him run in the RSA I reckon he'd win it by a fence on good ground and if was soft he'd be back in Ireland before the rest of them got home. Gawd help Long Run and co next season when they get a load of this guy.

I do hope Peddler's runs up to his very best at Cheltenham as there's no real gain beating a horse who's not right if thatwas the case at Kemton. I want the best of every horse to take SS on just to prove he as good as thought.

The main reason is this nonsense about Al Ferof supposidly being a 160 horse he's more like a 150 as far as I'm concerned. 160 puts him higher than Sizing Europe was when he contested the Arkle and even after he won it he was rated only 160. Believe that you'll believe anything.

The very fact Cue Card will be up there jumping fence to fence and doing it on the bridle as he does will not help Al Ferof one bit and you can almost gaurantee there will be several injections of pace by the likes of Peddlars and Sprinter Sacre and while the likes of Menorah may handle that no way on this planet will Al Ferof, who is way too slow to react and could end up being so far behind Ruby will just throw the towl in and wait for another day at another trip.

He's the place lay of the meeting in my book.

Last edited:
I've learnt from past experience that completely dismissing Nicholl's novice chasers is a dangerous game. I won't be backing him but I wouldn't want to place lay him.

CUE CARD won't be a serious contender against any of that lot unless he gets some jumps schooling from someone like Yogi Breisner. As I said pages and pages back, he gets in tight at all of his fences and seems to be incapable of the flowing style of SPRINTER SACRE. AL FEROF is a neat and tidy jumper, but SS can boldly outjump him by several feet per obstacle, so there's no way he'll pass SS, either. SS also has a longer stride than Alf and Alf seems incapable of having anything in reserve for a finishing kick.

If Grands Crus runs on Saturday I expect a big show even though I have backed Captain Chris. The market for the RSA will radically alter if he goes for the Gold Cup and Bob's Worth would be an unjustifiable favourite. Last Instalment really impressed with his jumping last time and was backable at 9.4 before Betfair suspended what looks like all the markets for the novice chasers.

He's the place lay of the meeting in my book.

Hes the one most likely to put in a good clean safe round of jumping and on that basis, i would say the opposite.

Yes they both look very impressive, but given that every feltham winner that has gone on to run in the rsa has been beaten, and five horses placed in the feltham have gone on to win the rsa.

Oh no... sorry mate but this is perfect example of why i hate pointless stats. So he would stand a better chance in the RSA if he had finished 20 lengths third (or whatever) in the Feltham? Makes no sense to me

Last edited:
If Grands Crus runs on Saturday I expect a big show even though I have backed Captain Chris. The market for the RSA will radically alter if he goes for the Gold Cup and Bob's Worth would be an unjustifiable favourite. Last Instalment really impressed with his jumping last time and was backable at 9.4 before Betfair suspended what looks like all the markets for the novice chasers.

I will be doubly sick if GC swerves the Argento - backed him ap for this and backed Last Instalment for the Rsa on the basis that GC would sluice up in the Argento and head for the Gold Cup. I could look very foolish (again) tomorrow.

You mantioned there's too much hype surrounding Sprinter Sacre, don't you think he's gone beyond the hype stage :blink: ?

Actually there was no hype because Nicky thought he was so good he din't speak to anyone in the media in fear he might paise him so highly they'd think he had gone nuts :D

I honestly don't get your logic in backing Menorah ew at 11/1 because he also has to beat the lot of them the same as SS or what you are doing is betting Menorah at odds on to be placed and odds slightly higher than you would get putting your rntire stake on Sprinter Sacre to be placed.

I'd have to geuinely believe that the horse could beat Sprinter Sacre before backing Menorah ew. In the long term your much better betting without the fav or betting your selction on the place markerwhere you'll get twice the return eg placed at 11/4 you get 375 for 100 ew of placed but once your stake comes of you've made 175 for a 200 quid outlay. 200 at 2.8 would make you 360 and you'll get alot more of those up than you will backing against fav's in Group 1 trials Like Sprinter Sacre Big Bucks Grand Crus Hurricane Fly who seldom get it wrong when the chips are down plus if they don't your chances you picked the right one are remote.etc. There's nothing to stop you having small win bet just in case aslong as you don't eat too much into the possible profit and your back to square one

I think you'll find you can make more than that backing any horse bar SS on the place market incluing Peddlers Cross unless Menorah actually wins..............which he wont:cool:

Don't mean to be ignorant, to each his own, but not my way off betting I'd want 20/1 upwards before I'd be temted

Last edited:
Really disappointed and annoyed that Grands Crus misses the Argento and I can't understand why at all. The apparent reason sounds like utter rubbish, and hardly a vote of confidence.

The Argento seemed the absolute ideal Gold Cup trial to see what they had with Kauto and Long Run absent, but a good selection of the next tier to see where they stand. If they are worried about a hard race against this lot then surely he has little to no chance against the big two, who, on all known form, are significantly superior to anything he would face on Saturday.

I find it a most perplexing decision and this must put the RSA very much back into the picture. I find it hard to believe that they would take him to the Gold Cup with no experience in open company.

Back