Novice Chasers 2011-12

Really disappointed and annoyed that Grands Crus misses the Argento and I can't understand why at all.

I would echo that sentiment entirely despite having already backed Captain Chris E/W with a small cover on Tidal Bay at 11/2 and 11/1 respectively.

I've made my thoughts on Grands Crus clear previously in that I feel he's just shy of top class and would therefore quite possibly come unstuck in this company. However, I was all set for watching a very interesting and informative renewal. Pipey has been intimating this as his target for some time, if nothing specific has happend then I would be pretty peed off had I backed him.

Just shy of top class could also be applied to most of Saturday's field though.

It's way too early to tell. Grands Crus looked just as impressive winning the Feltham as Long Run did and Captain Chris deserves his chance in a staying chase at Cheltenham before we can run the rule on his possible lack of class.

I think it is harsh to taint Captain Chris with that brush. His only try at 3m was a respectable 3rd in the King George where connections feel he was below par. He is an Arkle winner after all who has always promised to be much better over further. He still has time on his side in my opinion.

It's way too early to tell. Grands Crus looked just as impressive winning the Feltham as Long Run did and Captain Chris deserves his chance in a staying chase at Cheltenham before we can run the rule on his possible lack of class.

Grand Crus had already been ruled out when I posted Euro. I don't doubt his class at all.

I'd agree that Captain Chris is a good horse and if he stays he should win on Saturday. I said most of the field were a little short of top class, and barring Captain Chris they have a lot to do to prove otherwise.

Hidden Cyclone

"It's a good race but my fellow is in good form and I couldn't have him any better, I don't think. I think he's improved a lot since his last run and he's been schooling well. With a bit of luck, he's the one they all have to beat.
"He won't be going to Cheltenham this year. He's still a bit of a baby and I'm a little bit afraid of the ground. He'll handle good ground, but I'd rather leave him for another year until I run him on it.
"The plan is for him to run in the Grade One back at Leopardstown in a couple of weeks (Dr PJ Moriarty Novice Chase) and then maybe the Powers Gold Cup in Fairyhouse."

Last edited:
I strongly fancy SDC - the better the race the more he has to give.
Going to throw a few quid on Kumbeshwar to cause an upset at Doncaster-looks the only one guaranteed to get round safely.

Kumbeshwar must be value at13/2 with the form that King is in.
Odds against is the betfair place Market is an excellent bet in my opinion.

Yup agree with that I wonder where they will aim him at Cheltenham. Got the all important course form as well.

You mantioned there's too much hype surrounding Sprinter Sacre, don't you think he's gone beyond the hype stage :blink: ?

Actually there was no hype because Nicky thought he was so good he din't speak to anyone in the media in fear he might paise him so highly they'd think he had gone nuts :D

I honestly don't get your logic in backing Menorah ew at 11/1 because he also has to beat the lot of them the same as SS or what you are doing is betting Menorah at odds on to be placed and odds slightly higher than you would get putting your rntire stake on Sprinter Sacre to be placed.

I'd have to geuinely believe that the horse could beat Sprinter Sacre before backing Menorah ew. In the long term your much better betting without the fav or betting your selction on the place markerwhere you'll get twice the return eg placed at 11/4 you get 375 for 100 ew of placed but once your stake comes of you've made 175 for a 200 quid outlay. 200 at 2.8 would make you 360 and you'll get alot more of those up than you will backing against fav's in Group 1 trials Like Sprinter Sacre Big Bucks Grand Crus Hurricane Fly who seldom get it wrong when the chips are down plus if they don't your chances you picked the right one are remote.etc. There's nothing to stop you having small win bet just in case aslong as you don't eat too much into the possible profit and your back to square one

I think you'll find you can make more than that backing any horse bar SS on the place market incluing Peddlers Cross unless Menorah actually wins..............which he wont:cool:

Don't mean to be ignorant, to each his own, but not my way off betting I'd want 20/1 upwards before I'd be temted

Thanks for the reply, I have had a good read on what you said and it makes sense what your saying, especially after Menorah nose diving on saturday. Yet still william hill still have him at 11/1 which is startling considering his jumping is shambolic.

I did actually think Menorah would beat sprinter to be honest I was only backing ew as a safety net. After today the bet looks doomed and I will have have to look for another one to beat sprinter:blink:.

I just got a feeling sprinter will be tying up at the end like finnians last year ( or im hoping that really). I am a newbie though and got a lot to learn based on comments coming my way.

I see Nicholls was hyping up al ferof after his third in behind somersby, he says its the highest rated novice so far at 160 and is rated the same as sizing europes arkle win, which I find mystifying. Nicholls has some confidence I will give him that:ninja:.

good luck

I see Nicholls was hyping up al ferof after his third in behind somersby, he says its the highest rated novice so far at 160 and is rated the same as sizing europes arkle win, which I find mystifying. Nicholls has some confidence I will give him that:ninja:.

good luck

None of the other elite novices have run in open company. That is the only reason he's top of the pile at the moment.

Has anyone heard what happened to CAPTAIN CHRIS yesterday? That was desperate stuff - totally favouring one side, so wonder if something was found amiss later?

Back