Novice Chasers 2011-12

From the Sporting Life's webpage.

Hidden Cyclone is likely to continue his education over fences at Leopardstown on Saturday week.
Trainer John 'Shark' Hanlon is keen to keep his stable star at the Dublin track with the aim of returning there for a Grade One next month.
Hidden Cyclone won five out of six over hurdles and made a very impressive debut over fences over Christmas.
"We're going for a Grade Two at Leopardstown (Boylesports.com - Bet On Your Mobile Novice Chase) in a couple of weeks," said Hanlon on At The Races.
"The idea is we started him over fences at Leopardstown and we want to go back for a Grade One (Dr PJ Moriarty) a month later so we may as well stay there.
"He was brilliant on his debut and he'll definitely improve.
"Andrew (McNamara) couldn't believe how well he was going turning in against some very good horses."

Nice horse and would like to think he's much better than the winning margin suggests.

Didn't think much of the opposition, it took them forever to passs Davy Condon who actually took his foot of the pedal and still found he was in the race a fence later.

Never looked like losing and would have to be on the short list should he win his Garde 1 next month and he goes for the Jewson.

Good bold jumping type at Lingfield today, winning his second novice chase (Class 4) for Tom George, under 11.5 and a very enthused Paddy Brennan: NODEBATEABOUTIT (ALFLORA - MYSTERE/Montelimar), 7 years. PB said "He's a great jumper" when returning and although he only beat three others, it's the facile manner which told the story. The ground went Soft to Heavy in places, but those were some seriously heavy places, so a bit of a mudlark, too.

...has to be. Haven't had a chance to look at the card yet but if he [Finian's Rainbow] has Somersby to beat he wins.

...have to eat my words re Finian's versus Somersby. I was sure if it came to a straight fight between these two Finian's would take it.

(1:25) 19B Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Nov. S'chase
(Grade 1) €52,000.00 ( 2m 1f - 5yo+ )[MAX 28]
FIRST FORFEIT: 24-JAN-12
SUPPLEMENTARY ENTRY: 24-JAN-12
NHFrm
3435- 1 Baily Green(128) (MFMorris) - . ......... 11,12
-2p1- 2 Bellvano (GER) (NHenderson (in
GB)) - .......................... 11,12
2611- 3 Blackstairmountain (WPMullins) - . . 11,12
111f- 4 Bog Warrior(151) (AJMartin) - . ......... 11,12
10p1- 5 Call The Police (WPMullins) - . ......... 11,12
5p34- 6 Cottrelsbooley (DWCullen) - ............ 11,12
13f2- 7 Far Away So Close (PNolan) - . ........ 11,12
1421- 8 Flemenstar (PCasey) - . .................... 11,12
2313- 9 Foildubh(138) (JPRyan) - . ................. 11,12
012u- 10 Gift Of Dgab(140) (AJMartin) - . ......... 11,12
3-21- 11 Kid Cassidy (NHenderson (in GB)) -
. ................................... 11,12
1124- 12 Lucky William(135) (TCooper) - . ...... 11,12
2232- 13 Nearest The Pin (AJMartin) - ............ 11,12
1132- 14 Notus De La Tour (FR)(142) (DPipe
(in GB)) - . ................... 11,12
6916- 15 Perfect Smile(1) (NMeade) - . ............ 11,12
1111- 16 Sir Des Champs (FR) (WPMullins) -
. ................................... 11,12
p816- 17 Westmeath (GB)(126) (PNolan) - . ..... 11,1

Blackstairmountain (11/10) , Bog Warrior (16/5) , Flemenstar (6) , Sir Des Champs (9) , Notus De La Tour (19/2) , Lucky William (10) , Kid Cassidy (11) , Call The Police (23/2) , Bellvano (15) , Baily Green (25) , Far Away So Close (25) , Gift Of Dgab (25) , Nearest The Pin (25) , Perfect Smile (27) , Cottrelsbooley (35) , Foildubh (35) , Westmeath (35)

Granger, are those prices genuine? Does anyone know if Bog Warrior will lineup? If he is I think that price is a gift.

I'm of the opinion that Bog Warrior would beat Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle if the ground was suitable. Despite everyones hard on for Sprinter Sacre, it was Bog Warrior's previous performance that excited me most this season.

Granger, are those prices genuine? Does anyone know if Bog Warrior will lineup? If he is I think that price is a gift.

I'm of the opinion that Bog Warrior would beat Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle if the ground was suitable. Despite everyones hard on for Sprinter Sacre, it was Bog Warrior's previous performance that excited me most this season.

From odds checker

BW will be the bet of a lifetime at them prices. Big Fan

I think Bog Warrior was fairly sore after his fall-can't see him running.

Martin has said he'll be looked after so you're probably right but if I knew there was a chance he could line up I would still have a bet at those prices. The favourite is completely the wrong price imo.

Hiden Cyclone is one to keep eye on

(2:15) 18C Boylesports.com Novice S'chase (Grade 2)
€26,000.00 ( 2m 5f - 5yo+ )[MAX 28]
NHFrm
10p1- 1 Call The Police (WPMullins) - . ..................
08-83 2 De' Oro (JJHanlon) - . .................................
2136- 3 Donnas Palm (NMeade) - . ................. (133)
4314- 4 Fists Of Fury (CByrnes) - . .........................
012u- 5 Gift Of Dgab (AJMartin) - . .................. (140)
1111- 6 Hidden Cyclone (JJHanlon) - . .....

I like Bog Warrior. Relaxed and easy style, won the Drinmore convincingly. Didn't like the way he crumpled last time though and don't think I'd want him at Cheltenham (even assuming he was going).

I have been studying probably the most exciting race at the festival, you guessed it the arkle.

I know everyone seems to be raving about SPRINTERS and yes he,s done nowt wrong, but at 9/4 theres not much value unless you are doubling, trebling or forecasting.

MENORAH actually went a second quicker over course and distance at kempton, in both their respective races, and considering his jumping was iffy and SPRINTERS was bob on. I would soon rather have MENORAH at 11/1 e/w

AL FEROF ran a good race in the VC, and nicholls and walsh rate him very good, but his short head win against FOR NON STOP, was not great as CUE CARD pasted him by an easy 4 lengths.

My outlandish prediction for the arkle is MENORAH to beat CUE CARD:whistle:

Thanks for this. Perhaps not so outlandish. If something goes wrong with Sprinter these two are the sort to do well in the race.

Now another horse i like alot is good old BOBS WORTH, im convinced that they never tried with him in the feltham, and his jumping was poor but still only got beat 6 lengths by GRAND CRUS. What I do not understand is after the feltham BOBS was 12/1 for the RSA and now he is as skinny 4/1. on the form of his last run there taking the mick.

Im truly convinced BOBS will slam GRANDS if they meet in the RSA, i cant see GRANDS running in gold cup, but both these horses dont look great value considering the irish have won last 4 years.

my prediction for rsa is BOBS WORTH to beat JOIN TOGETHER and SIR DES CHAMPS:whistle:

I wouldn't have thought Bob's Worth will get that near to Grands Crus. Grands Crus and Sprinter Sacre are likely to prove head and shoulders above the rest in their division. I hope they will both stick to novice company for now. I wouldn't like to see GC in the Gold Cup.

Handsofstone, that's interesting about Menorah's fast time at Kempton. The problem, though, as you alluded to yourself, is that he can't jump. You conclude that he must have one hell of an engine and therefore is a bet for Cheltenham, but I would conclude from each of his runs over fences so far that he won't be able to go round Cheltenham in a competitive race without hitting something and ruining his chance.

Last edited:
The problem, though, as you alluded to yourself, is that he can't jump. You conclude that he must have one hell of an engine and therefore is a bet for Cheltenham, but I would conclude from each of his runs over fences so far that he won't be able to go round Cheltenham in a competitive race without hitting something and ruining his chance.

This is my main worry about Menorah. He can jump well, but doesn't seem to concentrate. Perversely Cheltenham can actually help this sort of inconsistent jumper in getting them to concentrate. It has helped horses like Tidal Bay, who can be a pig at times, and it may do the same for this one.

I have been studying probably the most exciting race at the festival, you guessed it the arkle.

I know everyone seems to be raving about SPRINTERS and yes he,s done nowt wrong, but at 9/4 theres not much value unless you are doubling, trebling or forecasting.

MENORAH actually went a second quicker over course and distance at kempton, in both their respective races, and considering his jumping was iffy and SPRINTERS was bob on. I would soon rather have MENORAH at 11/1 e/w

Notwithstanding that I always claim winning times in NH as wholly irrelevant (even more so on different days). Just to clarify Sprinter Sacre's race time was actually a second quicker on slower ground carrying a pound more and eased towards the line (as opposed to Menorah being driven out).

If I was on Menorah my main concern wouldn't be his jumping it would be that he simply isn't goood enough. Even if he jumped like a stag, barring incidents I would be amazed if he possessed enough ability to beat the front three in the market.

Notwithstanding that I always claim winning times in NH as wholly irrelevant (even more so on different days). Just to clarify Sprinter Sacre's race time was actually a second quicker on slower ground carrying a pound more and eased towards the line (as opposed to Menorah being driven out).

If I was on Menorah my main concern wouldn't be his jumping it would be that he simply isn't goood enough. Even if he jumped like a stag, barring incidents I would be amazed if he possessed enough ability to beat the front three in the market.

Not good enough to beat Sprinter Sacre agreed, but good enough to line up and perhaps be placed at a price.

Back