Novice Chasers 2011-12

SANCTUAIRE!! 6 y.o. French bred and initially run hurdler with Nicholls, gallops superbly with long, flowing action and soars over all bar perhaps two in his inaugural novices' chase at Taunton just now. Blimey! Looks like SPRINTER SACRE and runs/jumps like him, too. Outstanding galloping - Ruby looked as if the horse was blasting away from him a bit at one point, but the animal has speed and stamina to spare. Seriously, seriously, tremendous stuff - the others did fine, but not in the same parish (almost literally).

I would agree with the wishful thinking regarding the trip tactics.I can't understand why they haven't dropped capt Christ back though.At present I'd sooner back Cue card than menorah.....

Last edited:
SANCTUAIRE!! 6 y.o. French bred and initially run hurdler with Nicholls, gallops superbly with long, flowing action and soars over all bar perhaps two in his inaugural novices' chase at Taunton just now. Blimey! Looks like SPRINTER SACRE and runs/jumps like him, too. Outstanding galloping - Ruby looked as if the horse was blasting away from him a bit at one point, but the animal has speed and stamina to spare. Seriously, seriously, tremendous stuff - the others did fine, but not in the same parish (almost literally).

He pulled Ruby's arms out he was so full of running early on,he wasn't wrong when he said he was just steering!very impressive the way he poured it on.

I would agree with the wishful thinking regarding the trip tactics.I can't understand why they have dropped capt Christ back though.At present I'd sooner back Cue card than menorah.....

I like Cue Card also. I'd rather have him at the price than AF or Peddler's at the moment. Slight preference for Menorah above Cue Card and a strong preference for Sprinter Sacre over all of them in Arkle terms. The only other novice I like as much is Grands Crus.

Sure did, Links - the Rubester's arms must be 2" longer now! But not through being naughty - just keen as mustard to get going... and going... and going! Like Bob Cooper said, why give a 150-rated hurdler a 15 lengths lead? Did the others imagine he'd blow up - I can only think they did, because he sure wasn't stopping. That was one of the most exciting and impressive jumps performances, let alone debuts, I've seen in a long time!

Steve: really? You happy about CUE CARD's inability to jump further than on the take-off board?

Last edited:
I've said in some other threads Steve that I was big on peddlers Ante post,got some fancy prices about him but Sprinter looks different gravy.I have gone in quite big on him and topped up at a shorter price than perhaps I should have.I really do think cue card is a place cert,very classy but they have made no effort to iron out his jumping technique.Al Ferof too slow for an Arkle for me,he may be staying on but at that point Geraghty will be weighing in.

Last edited:
Agree with you there Krizon. It was an exhilarating performance. Really enjoyed watching it. I laughed when Ruby said something like "I knew either I'd be leading or we'd be going bloody fast". He led and went bloody fast but didn't stop and the others got nowhere near him.

I'm hoping they miss Cheltenham and go for the 2m novice at Aintree. Nice good ground, a tight track and they might not catch him.

Steve: really? You happy about CUE CARD's inability to jump further than on the take-off board?

I think Sprinter Sacre will win and no I’m not happy about the Jumping of CC and Menorah, but at 9/1 CC and 14/1 Menorah I’d rather cover on these two than AF or Peddler’s, as if they do jump round (in the style of a Tidal Bay) they’d be a danger to everything.

Sounds like a plan, Zen - that would be fabulous to see. Horse is so agile, skips across the ground, and looks like he is thoroughly engaged with his work at all times. Got to be a joy to be on a confident, thorough-going type like that.

Stevie: ah, tactical punting, then! ;)

Last edited:
Ahh right I see.Arkle or the Grand annual maybe at the festival?

I think it would be a waste sending him to the Arkle and I doubt he will be given a favourable handicap mark to make the Grand Annual tempting. Especially seeing as the handicapper already has egg on his face re Sanctuaire when he bolted up in the Fred Winter in 2010. I don't think he'll make the same mistake twice.

Personally I like the Aintree idea but I have no idea what connections are thinking.

I couldn't work out whether Ruby was frightened, stunned, impressed or a combination of all three. I suspect the latter.

:lol::lol::lol:

I love that! Christ, he wouldn't be the sort of horse on which to start losing your bottle! Really required to be controlled - could've been just let fly and might then have run out of puff, but those lungs look in damn good order to me. Whether Ruby's were afterwards... !

Headstrong, a little sloppy and a bit spectacular. If he doesn't kill himself at Cheltenham he'll do well.

As high as 25's and as low as 16's for the Arkle,I'd want a bit more to that to be honest.wouldnt surprise me if they ran him to blast out in front....o'brien-esque

He could easily be the one to set the blistering pace that Al Ferof will want. I'm not sure they need to sacrifice him though because Cue Card and maybe Sprinter Sacre will make sure it's a fair test. And Peddlers Cross won't want a dawdle either.

Last edited:
Don't mind headstrong, though - rather that than the stuttering CUE CARD (the Tizzards have got to correct that!) - if he likes dominating his field at all costs, and remains accurate over the obstacles, then the wilfulness can be reined in a bit better next time out. It's not like he was all over the track or running blindly - he knew what he was doing and is a power to harness a little more in future. But he strides better than AL FEROF, who sure enough keeps on going, but stride-for-stride comes up shorter, and lacks an effective finishing burst. Must say, SANCTUAIRE's performance today has chucked a nice wee joker into the pack!

Don't mind headstrong, though - rather that than the stuttering CUE CARD (the Tizzards have got to correct that!) - if he likes dominating his field at all costs, and remains accurate over the obstacles, then the wilfulness can be reined in a bit better next time out. It's not like he was all over the track or running blindly - he knew what he was doing and is a power to harness a little more in future. But he strides better than AL FEROF, who sure enough keeps on going, but stride-for-stride comes up shorter, and lacks an effective finishing burst. Must say, SANCTUAIRE's performance today has chucked a nice wee joker into the pack!

I like him. Like I say, if he doesn't kill himself he does well.

Back