Novice Chasers 2011-12

PN this evening......"Very happy with Dildar & Sanctuaire but hold fire on any Arkle bets for the latter"

PN said on ATR afterwards that Cheltenham was unlikely, he thinks he needs a flat track to be seen at his best and the Aintree race would be ideal for him.

Or a low weight in the Grand Annual perhaps ?

There is no way the handicapper will give him a 'low weight'. This is the horse that turned the Fred Winter into a procession in 2010. The handicapper will not want to make the same mistake twice. There is also the fact that he is rated 150 over hurdles and looked very good today on his fencing debut, smashing the 127 rated Shammick Boy by 20+ lengths in receipt of 7lbs.

I like the Aintree idea much better and am pleased that Nicholls is looking that way.

On a side note, I don't like to pay too much attention to times but I did notice that Sanctuaire was fast by 4.20s today. Almost certainly doesn't mean a lot (Renard was slow by 1.20s over the same course) but Ruby's assertion that he was going 'bloody fast' was probably about right.

Last edited:
For those Bog Warrior fans amongst us here is a quote from Tony Martin after the weekend:

"We always thought he was a good horse and luckily enough his form is working out well," the trainer added.

"He's working away now and we're building up gradually. He has plenty of options coming up and we'll see where we're going after he does a bit of work this weekend.

"It's only the first day of February, so we won't be making any definite plans for Cheltenham until later in the month. He's in everything."

Source - Sportinglife

PN said on ATR afterwards that Cheltenham was unlikely, he thinks he needs a flat track to be seen at his best and the Aintree race would be ideal for him.

Good call by zenyatta,fair play called it right away after the race.speaking with a vested interest in Arkle I'm glad he has ruled him out!would be interested to see what he would be off in the grand annual though.

He didn't rule it out, just said it was unlikely. He's still entered though and it wouldn't be the first time someone had changed their mind.

He would be interesting no doubt, would be just my luck that he went of like a scalded cat smashed into the first and took Sprinter Scare and Peddlers Cross out with him:rolleyes:

Should have said I hope he has ruled him out......sort of horse that could throw up a freak result.If I were Nichols I'd run him and let him go flat out,play to Alf strengths.If we are saying it they must have said it already!:rolleyes:

For those Bog Warrior fans amongst us here is a quote from Tony Martin after the weekend:

"We always thought he was a good horse and luckily enough his form is working out well," the trainer added.

"He's working away now and we're building up gradually. He has plenty of options coming up and we'll see where we're going after he does a bit of work this weekend.

"It's only the first day of February, so we won't be making any definite plans for Cheltenham until later in the month. He's in everything."

Source - Sportinglife

Very Interesting....

Certainly more of a statement of intent than anything he's said before. O'Leary likes to have festival runners; the main issue being working out which will go where.

Not sure where else to put this, but any news following SHANE ROCK, PU "injured" after the third at Clonmel in the Beginners' Chase, please? He was out of shot when whatever went wrong occurred. The winner ODONIMEE looks a really good type - front-running and a very competent jumper.

I see the Tizzards are talking up CUE CARDS chances in the game spirit chase. Tizzard said CUE CARD will be favourite for the arkle when he beats SPRINTER SACRE. That is a big statement to make, but I think the CUE CARD can fulfill his true potential.

take the 8/1 sharpish:blink:

Colin Tizzard needs his head read.Done nothing but stifle the horses potential,if I were the owner I'd send it to someone who could iron out his jumping deficiencies.e/w call for me but will have lengths taken out of him by the big 3

I see the Tizzards are talking up CUE CARDS chances in the game spirit chase. Tizzard said CUE CARD will be favourite for the arkle when he beats SPRINTER SACRE. That is a big statement to make, but I think the CUE CARD can fulfill his true potential.

I agree with links781 in that I very much doubt Cue Card will ever fulfil his potential whilst at the Tizzards.

That said, even if he did he still wouldn't see which way Sprinter Sacre went:D

I don't really blame the trainer, I never ever liked Cue Card thought he was a bit of a nutter but as recent as a couple of races ago I took a real shine to him. He is a very good horse and I never thought 'd say that about him

I just don't like the idea of Sprinter Sacre having to share the same racecourse as him because he's dangerous and could cause problems in the jumping deprtment the way he sort of fly jumps his fences could be off-putting........Hope Barry doesn't go head to head from the off with him and keeps as far away as possible until about 3 out then bolts past him without even looking at him and does his own thing.

What wins win the Arkle imo and I have no doubt it will be SS

Last edited:
Just to kick off the Peddlars debate again...

I still think iot was that first fence clout

Peddlers is grand. He's working away and we've decided we're going to go straight to Cheltenham because the races that were available didn't really fit in with what we wanted to do," said McCain.

"We'll get him A1 for the big day and it's all systems go. Plan A is the Arkle.

"He came back from Kempton pretty much wrong everywhere, he was very sore, which he has never done before.

"It fully justified his run, we tidied everything up and he seems in great nick.

"His work the day before Kempton was as good as ever and he's either done something in the race or something in that piece of work.

"I don't think there's ever been a day when Peddlers Cross hasn't worked like a machine and that hasn't changed at all, so I don't see any reason to panic. He's very special."

(2:40) 28D Dr. P.J. Moriarty Novice S'chase (Grade 1)
€48,750.00 ( 2m 5f - 5yo+ )[MAX 28]
NHFrm
111f- 1 Bog Warrior(153) (AJMartin) - . .......... 11,10
10p1- 2 Call The Police (WPMullins) - . .......... 11,10
-114- 3 Daffern Seal(136) (DKWeld) - . ........... 11,10
12u-2 4 Gift Of Dgab(140) (AJMartin) - ........... 11,10
181-2 5 Lambro(144) (WPMullins) - . ............... 11,10
p111- 6 Last Instalment(148) (PFenton) - . ..... 11,10
241-1 7 Medical Card(141) (NMeade) - . ......... 11,10
314-1 8 Shot From The Hip (GER)
(EJO'Grady) - .............. 11,10

(2:40) 28D Dr. P.J. Moriarty Novice S'chase (Grade 1)
€48,750.00 ( 2m 5f - 5yo+ )[MAX 28]
NHFrm
111f- 1 Bog Warrior(153) (AJMartin) - . .......... 11,10
10p1- 2 Call The Police (WPMullins) - . .......... 11,10
-114- 3 Daffern Seal(136) (DKWeld) - . ........... 11,10
12u-2 4 Gift Of Dgab(140) (AJMartin) - ........... 11,10
181-2 5 Lambro(144) (WPMullins) - . ............... 11,10
p111- 6 Last Instalment(148) (PFenton) - . ..... 11,10
241-1 7 Medical Card(141) (NMeade) - . ......... 11,10
314-1 8 Shot From The Hip (GER)
(EJO'Grady) - .............. 11,10

Last Instalment by miles..