Novice Chasers 2011-12

Bog Warrior is supposed to run on Saturday instead but Paddy Power are quoting 6/4 with a run for this.

I'd agree that at the trip I'd favour Bog Warrior. He has looked very good and his form looks exceptional too.

Sprinter Sacre at 5/4 for the Game Spirit is a very good bet! Discuss...........

I thought you were taking the **** - The only reason I can come up with that he's odds against is that Hills believe the fixture will be called off and this is a ploy to get cash in??:blink:

Cue Card all day long at 5/2. Sprinter Sacre has beat Peddlers Cross and nothing else. Proven form over potential for me.

I agree with links781 in that I very much doubt Cue Card will ever fulfil his potential whilst at the Tizzards.

That said, even if he did he still wouldn't see which way Sprinter Sacre went:D

a little birdie has told me that the SACRE wont be sprinting come saturday. he will be 5/1 or bigger for the arkle come saturday tea time.:p

Enough with the jokes already Simon this is serious :lol:

I could be totally wrong and I realise it's a big statement to make but I think Sprinter Sacre is really something so far out of the ordinary he may just be the best horse in training at the moment and very soon people will start to realase just how special he is.

I saw Arkle when I was growing up and those who did realise just how special he was and how hard it is to compare any horse to him.

This Sprinter Sacre gives me exactly the same buzz as Arkle did and I get the distinct impression we are entering an era where this horse will change everything.

I've never seen a horse take on a fence like him, with so much confidence and a total lack of fear. Everything he does is like it's no effort at all to him.

I think he'll do exactly the same to Cue Card as he did to PC and if PC takes him on at Cheltenham he'll go down in exactly the same manner as he did at Kempton.

I have the greatest respect for Donnald McCain I think he's an awesome trainer but while they found some after effects of his meeting with Sprinter, during the race IMO there were no real signs he was feeling any injury other than those to his trainer's pride.

I don't bet with William Hill as such but I did get on at 10/11 elsewhere and I had to draw teeth to get that.

I doubt if William Hill will take a decent bet on the horse and it's no more than a publicity stunt.

If some big punter wanted, like say, 80K on at 5/4 they'd run a mile.

I'll be devastated if he loses on Satrurday but I honestly don't think there's a hope in hell he will be.

Last edited:
Tanlic- I have to say my thoughts on Sprinter Sacre echo yours. I could well end up looking stupid but my gut instinct when watching him says that he could be something very special indeed.

As for William Hill, I'm not sure what stakes they would lay on the single but they wouldn't take any bet whatsoever last night on the Game Spirit, Arkle double.

I'll third that,he looks to have got it all.

Joe Tizzard is quoted this morning as saying "people will be surprised how close they are" What utter tosh.Cue card is te gest horse they have had but they are talking it up again a la supreme last year.SS will be taking lengths out of this field at every fence.Cue Card is good but I think we are going to find out Sprinter Sacre is class.

I'll be backing him again for the Arkle on Friday/Saturday if the meetings confirmed.

My book is already full at much better prices so the bets I have at the weekend will be laid straight back to the would be shrewdies after he hacks up and is cut to 10/11 for the Arkle

It's simple supply and demand. The amount of mugs wagering far outweighs the Shroodies.

I'm happy to echo Slim's sentiments.

Best Mate won three Gold Cup's and yet we rubbished (rightly) comparisons with Arkle. The balls being spouted on this thread about Sprinter Sacre are reminiscent of an even more contemporary example: namely Dunguib.

Sprinter Sacre has won a couple of novice chases. Comparisons with Remittance Man are an affront to that horses achievements: let alone Arkle's.

It's simple supply and demand. The amount of mugs wagering far outweighs the Shroodies.

I'm happy to echo Slim's sentiments.

Best Mate won three Gold Cup's and yet we rubbished (rightly) comparisons with Arkle. The balls being spouted on this thread about Sprinter Sacre are reminiscent of an even more contemporary example: namely Dunguib.

Sprinter Sacre has won a couple of novice chases. Comparisons with Remittance Man are an affront to that horses achievements: let alone Arkle's.

Agree, but he doesn't have to come close to the beasts mentioned above to beat the motley crew he faces Saturday.

The problem with this is that any horse can only be truly assessed when its career is at an end. Since we are required to be ahead of the curve to do any good at this game we need to make judgement calls ahead of the fact. When it comes to novice racing we need to be skilful in spotting rising talent, determining the real deal from the dead end.

For certain races, such as the Arkle, I hold blue prints in my head and don’t pay too much attention to novice performances until they start to remind me of these blue prints.

Remittance Man is my template for an Arkle winner and Sprinter Sacre has a lot in common in the way he is shaping with how RM was shaping before the Arkle.

I believe we are blessed this season with two exceptional novice chasers in Sprinter Sacre and Grands Crus. These two could develop into two of the best we have seen (although they may not). But I can’t say that for any other novice chaser at the moment.

When they have been retired it will be too late to back them, we need to have an idea now.

Last edited:
My point is you need to back your instincts. It's often too late once it is in the form book. Any plank [or most at least] can tell how good a horse is then.

Totally. I'm sure there are loads of punters who were on Frankel for the 2000 before his demolition job in the Royal Lodge. It's easy to get carried away with a horse you discover relatively early doors in their career. In the Supreme Spriner Sacre stood out a mile as easily the most chaser like in appearance and his run in the race was a huge positive.

Back