Novice Chasers 2011-12

Neither Al Ferof,Cue Card or Menorah will win a graded 2m race at any stage this date forward. None of them are superstars

They all most definitely need further

Don't let this take anything away from the winner, he is something special no doubts

Surely Sprinter Sacre deserves massive credit here? He made it look like a bad renewal.
We're talking very fast horses here tuned to the minute. 2 Supreme Winners and a Champion Bumper winner.

romp (rmp)
intr.v. romped, romp·ing, romps
1. To play or frolic boisterously.
2. To run or advance in a rapid or easy manner.

Surely Sprinter Sacre deserves massive credit here? He made it look like a bad renewal.
We're talking very fast horses here tuned to the minute. 2 Supreme Winners and a Champion Bumper winner.

And his presence for me ensured Ruby rode a certain kind of race that he wouldn't have done in other circumstances. Machine's force mistakes or poor performances from their rivals - Frankel vs Canford Cliffs or Denman vs Kauto Star in 2008.

Cue Card too close for comfort who was over taken for the lead half way through the race and trailing about 15 lengths to Sprinter Sacre at one point and manages to finish within 6l of the winner who was asked for a sustained effort about 1 out.

No doubt Sprinter Sacre is freak and the best two mile chaser around though - can't take that away from him or his supporters.

I think Geraghty's slightly curious ride once he went clear had the most impact on the winning distance than anything else.

That was an " I was there " moment . Steve M has just compared him to Arkle ! Have you ever seen a winner of an Arkle be given a three furlong breather before ???

No Ardross but I don't think BG wanted to be there that soon - think if Al Ferof hadn't made that mistake (and could go with SS) then Barry G wouldn't have taken it up until approaching two out.

No they can't win as Sprinter Sacre is running but Cue Card and Menorah shade it above PC and AF as best of the rest. Cue Card is underrated and Menorah is the type that things could suddenly go right for, he is the Tidal Bay of the field.

A word for Menorah I think in light of his fine Aintree victory.

Just watched Australia Day's Novice Chases again and as much as I'm looking forward to seeing Sprinter Sacre again I have to admit Australia Day has my juices flowing. This horse looks fearless and although unlikely to have the ability to win this, my heart misses a beat every time he leaps.

Last edited:
He may not need to get much better. His scope for further improvement may be less than people expect

You'd expect him to conserve energy better in the early part of his races as he matures, but he's hardly going to run much faster or jump much better than he already does.

Back