Novice Chasers 2012-13

If Dynaste bombs out he might not need a whole lot of pace given the other contenders.

You don't see too many horses sprinting away with the RSA whatever the ground. Just happened to catch Unioniste on the RUK review the other day and it struck me seeing it again how well he finished off his race. Admitedly, he was on a good mark and it was bad ground but impressive nonetheless. It seems he goes to Newbury next week. Strikes me if we get testing ground (which seems to be an increasing possibility) he could be the no thrills type who might just draw the sting out of Dynaste.

Have to hope Boston Bob runs in the Moriarty and stakes his claim.

Our Father would still be interesting as he's best fresh and it's unlikely we'll get worse than good to soft now.

As for the Arkle, I think Overturn's credentials are as solid as Simonsig's so he appeals at 4/1. Should be around that price on the day as well I would think.

Cheltenham dries so fast that with March and April being almost the dryest months of the year nowadays because of global warming even a couple of weeks of no rain would mean no soft in the going description unless they watered.

Will be keeping my eye out for His Excellency in one of the handicaps at Cheltenham, fences or hurdles really.

Just checked and a couple of firms actually quoting him at 20's for the Grand Annual, I thought they might want to take advantage of his hurdles mark a few weeks ago, then he bombed in a handicap hurdle and back over fences today. Shows you what I know! To get so far back in his races, then often finish so close must tell us this horse has a change of gears, and when everything goes right he can have his day.

Last edited:
To get so far back in his races, then often finish so close must tell us this horse has a change of gears, and when everything goes right he can have his day.

The alternative view is that the one thing he doesn't have is a change of gears and he wins or goes close when the pace collapses up front. That said, the Grand Annual often provides just that scenario.

Boston Bob looks for all the world like he needs a step up in trip and the Jewson wouldn't be his race. Aupcharlie, on the other hand, needs to drop back and the Jewson would be right up his street.

Looking forward to the card at Exeter today and seeing Harry Topper run in the graduation chase. Puffin billy vs Melodic Rendezvous is the highlight.

From Paul Nicholls Betfair column;

Rocky Creek goes to the Reynoldstown at Ascot.

Unioniste had a right old blow after narrowly winning his race. He will be a much better horse with that run behind him and when involved in a better-run race, where he can get a lead.

Fago was the one that got away yesterday, as he was travelling hard on the bit when falling. I don't like going to Cheltenham on the back of a fall, but he is fine and the Pendil Novice Chase over 2m4f at Kempton or the 2m1f novice at Sandown in the next couple of weeks are options for him.

Harry Topper looked a right contender for the 4 mile chase when winning over 3 at Exeter yesterday. Highland Lodge was very disappointing in the same race, not a shadow of the horse that won at Cheltenham in December.

Agreed on Harry Topper but not certain to go to Cheltenham & Kim Bailey did not sound to enthusiastic about this year. Also, he's a horse to consider backing in running & as will nearly always trade higher due to is 'lazy' style

Agreed on Harry Topper but not certain to go to Cheltenham & Kim Bailey did not sound to enthusiastic about this year. Also, he's a horse to consider backing in running & as will nearly always trade higher due to is 'lazy' style

He's 50/50 but I've been trying to persuade the him to send him to the festival and even sent him some of Merlin The Magicians jokes as a sweetener - some which I might add he included in one of his blogs last week. :D

nicknamed: Harry

Definitely wont go if the ground is testing - if g/soft I think he'll be very tempted.

Last edited:
Back