Novice chasers 2013/14

Given Grandouet's issues, shouldnt Oscar Whisky be a bit shorter for the Arkle. Looks like the type to benefit from the strong pace and go close in an eyeballs out contest.

WONDERFUL CHARM needs 3 miles so the RSA would be his best race I feel, but his owner sponsors the Jewson and Nicholls has said he wants to win his own race, which gives the horse not a great chance against the speedier types.

I didn't realise the owner was Mr Jewson. Wouldn't have backed him for the RSA otherwise.

I've taken 7s NRNB about Champagne Fever today. None of the British Novices looks good enough at this trip. OW didn't win that comfortable today despite completely outjumping TDS.

For crying out loud - it was a bog, last time T de S was still able to outrun OW on the flat over 2miles and T de S made a mistake at the last that cost him . I also think the fences being omitted stopped him getting into a rhythm - blaming AP strikes me as pocket talking and no more.

My only qualm was that Mccoy seems to be using hold up tactcs in almost every race he rides now, he may think it's the best chance of winning most races or it could be that he's becoming a little cocky. Hold up tactics are not going to work on every horse, and certain races hold up tactics need to be discarded, and my opinion is that in this certain race his tactics were shocking to say the least:blink:

I didn't realise the owner was Mr Jewson. Wouldn't have backed him for the RSA otherwise.

I've taken 7s NRNB about Champagne Fever today. None of the British Novices looks good enough at this trip. OW didn't win that comfortable today despite completely outjumping TDS.

Robin Geffen is the owner of WONDERFUL CHARM, I can recall their was a specific reason why the owner wanted to target this race and Nicholls says the horse is 99% chance of running in the jewson. Robin Geffen sponsors the Neptune, so I got that mixed up:whistle:.

I feel wherever CHAMPAGNE FEVER ends up, he will take some beating. He has never won in december from 3 attempts so I would not be worried about his dip in form as he was beaten 3 times last year, but ultimately won the big race, as to where he goes, Mr Mullins will keep it hidden as usual.

I feel wherever CHAMPAGNE FEVER ends up, he will take some beating. He has never won in december from 3 attempts so I would not be worried about his dip in form as he was beaten 3 times last year, but ultimately won the big race, as to where he goes, Mr Mullins will keep it hidden as usual.

Unlike Mr Nicholls I think Willie makes the decision with the horse in mind rather than the owner. Felix Yonger looks a possible non stayer over the Jewson trip - surely a factor.

Thats too harsh.

I think there have been few issues with Nichols placement of horses and clearly he does keep them in mind because they seem to have longer careers than those at certain other stables..including Mullins

I cannot agree about mccoys riding today. Don't see that at all

Last edited:
My only qualm was that Mccoy seems to be using hold up tactcs in almost every race he rides now, he may think it's the best chance of winning most races or it could be that he's becoming a little cocky. Hold up tactics are not going to work on every horse, and certain races hold up tactics need to be discarded, and my opinion is that in this certain race his tactics were shocking to say the least:blink:

I am sorry but that is simply nonsensical . T de S beat OW last time given an identical ride . He tried to lie up closer at Sandown and he didn't jump as well.

AP has ridden an astonishing number of winners this year - the idea he has done so by adopting unnecessary hold up tactics in just about every race is just absurd .

Unlike Mr Nicholls I think Willie makes the decision with the horse in mind rather than the owner. Felix Yonger looks a possible non stayer over the Jewson trip - surely a factor.

Walsh has said he thought FELIX YONGER would be better over 2 mile 4 after his first win this season, he was a staying on second in the neptune aswell, so I see not many negatives about him not being totally effective over 2 mile 5

I feel his last race was more a case of PAPARAZZI KID being there fully ready to win, and them just giving FELIX a run out, rather than the race conditions and distance being a more decisive factor than it appeared. DEFY LOGIC has boosted FELIX YONGER,s from he should go for the Jewson, but i am only guessing.

One thing I have noticed is backing these big stables at odds on, especially novice events, the public are getting their fingers burned often, as these horses are only maybe brought to the boil maybe 1 or 2 times a year, and with the trainers sometimes misleading the public, saying their horse is 100% fit when in truth it obviously was,nt.

I was a bit dissapointed with Nicholls comments after SILVIANACO CONTI,s win in the King George, he said the horse was basically not there to win in the betfair chase as if he gave the horse maximum efforts he would not of won the King George. I had a rather substantial bet on him in the betfair chase and if he had won I intended to follow up in the King George, but after his mediocre performance in the betfair, it derailed my plans:rolleyes:

off topic a little but relevant none the less.

Didn't see that quote headstrong but what he did say was that sc would not have won two weeks earlier and prefers to go left handed. Given that kempton is the least likely jumps course in the country to come up heavy and that it will be remaining right handed for the foreseeable future, didn't exactly I indicate that the KGv was the main target

Paul Nicholls, 26th Dec:

"I love training these horses you prepare just for the day" "I knew deep down if I had Silviniaco Conti at his best for Haydock he wouldn't win today."

Paul Nicholls, 26th Dec:

"I love training these horses you prepare just for the day" "I knew deep down if I had Silviniaco Conti at his best for Haydock he wouldn't win today."

The reason I was disappointed was because, the horse was not in A1 condition, when prior to the race he confirmed he was spot on. It looked a sensible bet given that he had him A1 to win last years race fairly well. I thought with the prize money being so good in the Betfair chase he would of been going all guns blazing, but I was wrong and paid the price.

I understand the trainers are very busy people and sometimes they only impart with their plans unless they are asked, but I just wish there was more transparency, as it seems all to often the vital information the punters need to have a chance of winning is with held till after the race has finished.

Another example was Henderson going back 2 years, I backed BOBS WORTH quite heavy for me in the Reyneldstown chase, prior to the race he says BOBS WORTH been going well. BOBS WORTH ran a fair race to finish second, but HENDERSON said after winning the RSA that BOBS WORTH was for 3 , months prior, very unfit and they were unlikely to be ready for the RSA.

I would just like them to be more punter friendly, as it is not to much to ask:confused:

I am sorry but that is simply nonsensical . T de S beat OW last time given an identical ride . He tried to lie up closer at Sandown and he didn't jump as well.

AP has ridden an astonishing number of winners this year - the idea he has done so by adopting unnecessary hold up tactics in just about every race is just absurd .

I admit I may be overreacting in this particular race, but i will stick by my view as all them fences being omitted was playing into OSCAR WHISKY,s hands, he should know OSCAR has a blistering turn of foot and the way he held off WONDERFUL CHARM easily last time suggested to me he should of made it a proper race.

As Patrick Veitch suggests in his book, the jockeys have a far to busy of a schedule to bother going in depth tactics wise when the race is only worth £18,000. I dare say Onie'l and Mccoy will be fairly happy just getting a run into the horse.

Didn't see that quote headstrong but what he did say was that sc would not have won two weeks earlier and prefers to go left handed. Given that kempton is the least likely jumps course in the country to come up heavy and that it will be remaining right handed for the foreseeable future, didn't exactly I indicate that the KGv was the main target

Nicholls was delighted with the winner, who he said was "heavy" for his first outing when he finished third behind Cue Card in the Betfair Chase at Haydock. The victorious handler was clearly relishing running his winner in the Gold Cup, for which he is just 7-2 with Paddy Power, when he said afterwards: "All [Silviniaco Conti] does is stay. Better ground and a bit farther will suit him."

He added: "That's brilliant. I knew if I had him at his best at Haydock he wouldn't win today. Sometimes you win these races with a horse like him, that if you'd have got to the bottom of him at Haydock he wouldn't have won today.

"It was heavy that day, the run brought him on enormously and I knew he'd stay. I said to Noel to make plenty of use of him. Kempton is not an ideal track for him a he jumps a bit out to the left, but he stays forever.

"Today was his target - last year the targets were the Charlie Hall and the Betfair. This year was a bit different, to come here and then go for the Gold Cup.

"You have to be a true stayer to win round here and though Cue Card won round Haydock it was different ground. He had a soft lead and I didn't want that to happen today. It's great to win this race with something different. I thought we had a great chance in last season's Gold Cup, but it didn't happen."

All I was saying was Nicholls said on Betfair chase day he had the horse A1, when in his qoutes above after the king george, clearly states that the horses main target was the king george and he was not in prime condition for the betfair chase, in which prior to the race he had fooled me into thinking he was going all out to win the race, when he states it was just a stepping stone to his main target the king george.

I was only annoyed because, he gave out false information (their busy people, I understand) but a little more transparency would help the betting public, especially serious punters, who are not akin to be shafted by false information. I just mean can they not just say, the horse is only 80% fit, dont go having heavy bets on the horse.

Henderson takes it to another level altogether but I shall not be boring you anymore:(

Poor from Carberry on Ned Buntline there I thought. Gave him far too much to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got a strong word for Mallowney last Friday but I couldn't back him at 6/4 after being so impressed with Ned B the last day.Anyway having watched the race as a neutral in my opinion the best horse won and they could both have a future.

I got a strong word for Mallowney last Friday but I couldn't back him at 6/4 after being so impressed with Ned B the last day.Anyway having watched the race as a neutral in my opinion the best horse won and they could both have a future.

Where is the trainer based Luke

Back