Novice chasers 2013/14

Thanks for putting the prices up Euro, Champagne Fever will have too much speed for Felix Yonger & Defy Logic in my opinion but there is enough doubt around ground & experience to see it as a betting opportunity, I just want my ap Arkle ticket on him to still look like a sound investment after the race.

As Felix misses the race I will probably bet on whoever Mullins has left in the grade 2 at Limerick.

In the future maybe champagne more scope but run the race tomorrow and I will France Félix to beat champagne

You may well be right, Suny. Felix Yonger has already established himself as a more than decent jumper whilst Champagne Fever is still potentially a top class chaser. Not a sensible odds on shot imo.

I might as well say it now , I believe that Champagne Fever is potentially a Gold Cup horse/winner, he certainly has stamina, travels well and economically. I've admired the horse from an early stage in his bumper year and have enjoyed his progress aesthetically and financially and it would be great to see him complete Champion Bumper, Supreme Novice, Arkle, and Gold Cup. That would be some achievement.

Great horse though he is, Champagne Fever will also probably need further than 2m at the very top level over fences, and I wouldn't have him on my mind for such as an Arkle.

The Topaz chase next Sunday looks like being another must watch race, Ballycasey, Morning Assembly, Bright New Dawn, and Nicholls Black Thunder, (did someone on here say Don Cossack is going to Kempton?), the Mullins horse is favourite but at 9/2 Bright New Dawn looks the value to me certainly in comparison to Morning Assembly, some serious novice chasers in Ireland this season.

I think it's now more likely Felix will run in the Arkle and Champagne Fever in the Jewson.

Waiting tactics didn't suit Felix. No doubt Townend was riding to instructions but he was too complacent anyway. Champagne might prefer further, Defy Logic took him off his feet a bit.

You may well be right re the Jewson, Grey. It is that concern that stops me from taking advantage of the 5/1 now on offer for CF in the Arkle. In some ways it is simply a case of a second start novice making a bad mistake- not a reason for shock horror.

Mullins volunteered on ATR just now that he'll think about stepping Champagne up in trip. He also bit his tongue when about to say something about Felix, I don't think he was too impressed with the ride he got.

Mullins volunteered on ATR just now that he'll think about stepping Champagne up in trip. He also bit his tongue when about to say something about Felix, I don't think he was too impressed with the ride he got.

Hopefully he'll take another look at Mozoltov as his Arkle horse.

Back