Novice chasers 2013/14

I can't have Grandouet either as doesn't come across as a natural over fences and see Dodging Bullets as the biggest home threat

I agree Perpetual. Regarding the English horses, Everyone seems eager to oppose Dodging Bullets based on hurdle rating on form.

But he has looked a much better chaser. On what we've seen he has to be the pick of the English horses.

I think Rock on Ruby is a long price for a Champion Hurdle winner . The problem is the lack of exposure to a proper contest before the Arkle.

Sorry Double Handful, my posts are unclear. I think ROR will turn out to be the best of the Brits, but Dodging Bullets is his biggest British threat

Clearly would have been preferable for ROR to have more competitive fencing experience, but has plenty of festival form (figures 121) so think he’ll be ok

I suppose potential wise ROR could turn out to be the best of the Brits.
But 9 year old's don't win Arkles! I always have a thing with these horses going chasing so late. Oscar Whiskey is similar. I just can't be backing either of them over fences at the Festival. With ROR - not until I saw some proof. And at this stage it's unlikely we will see sufficient proof of his jumping truly tested at pace.

This season Dodging Bullets has the best UK form in the book and looked like he loved it over fences at Cheltenham the last day. Fully appreciate his hurdles form is below other UK novices, but to me he just looks a natural chaser.

However come the day, I still believe Champagne Fever will go off Fav and will lead from the off and win! CF seems to come good in march after somewhat disappointing Winter. If you remember the Supreme last year Ruby got off Dodging Bullets to ride Champagne fever. That news only broke last year on March 11th. Wille and Ruby were blown away by CF's work the week before the festival!

It will be interesting to see CF over 2m5f this weekend. Assuming he does line up against Ballycasey.

Clearly would have been preferable for ROR to have more competitive fencing experience, but has plenty of festival form (figures 121) so think he’ll be ok

His festival form is 212, his only win in probably the most attritional Champion Hurdle run in recent years.
He just won't have the speed for an Arkle, period.

While I agree with you in opposing ROR, I'd be interested to get your thoughts on where the speed will come from?

Would Champagne Fever fall into the 'attrition' over speed bracket too ??

I'd sooner back Grandouet at a big price than Rock on Ruby or Dodging Bullets. Tidal Bay looked a bad jumper before his Arkle as well and there is a danger the horse could be overpriced on the day.

Hinterland must have a shout having held Grandouet twice
And he certainly won't be wanting for experience come march.::

Last edited:
Throw one out there as a huge outsider - Balder Succes. More a question than a statement. Obviously King has Valdez rated 8lbs higher. Both hold Arkle entries. BS last run in Dec was quite poor. Beaten 22L by Hinterland in 2m GR1 at Sandown. Some questions I have are, was this when Kings horses began to get sick and he had to close the yard soon after? Could BS be forgiven that run?

Because in his first 3 runs over fences before that he looked like a flying machine. Visually anyway. I'm not one for speed timings but he certainly looked very quick and very smart over his fences. They were 2 class 2 races and a class 3. He was comfortably 6 L clear in the race he fell in too. Won the other 2 quite impressively. I thought. Anyone have any insight into the King yard. Would he run both horses? 40/1 available for BS.

Cheers chroniclandlord. Back to the drawing board for the monster price festival winner for me so :o

Just looking at Oddschecker there. BS not currently in the betting for Grand Annual

What does the word "period" mean?

We're not allowed to argue? You are right?

Assuming neither of the above, would you say he has more or less speed than:

My Way de Solzen?
Tidal Bay?
Captain Chris?

Think it was Grassy who said MWDS won the worst Arkle ever.
ROR has worn the bridesmaid's dress more times (9/14, including a fortunate win when Darlan capsized) than the other 2 could muster between them, at the time of their Arkle runs.

DH
I'd doubt Champagne Flyer has the speed either, though Ruby thinks otherwise.

Last edited:
Dodging Bullets has got the best form, but he's imploded in the spring in the last 2 years.
Agree with the fly loving hugger that Valdez is the best value at the moment.

They could hold Ballycasey back until the 3m Grade 2 at Navan on Sunday week.

Does seem unlikely that he'll have them take each other on. But being that they have had little issues with Ballycasey and that he has only had a handful of races, I thought that maybe he would want to get Bally out as soon as possible and give him as much time as possible to the festival.
I'm sure Willie knows what he's doing though :)

That's a bit disappointing. I think most on here were expecting Champagne fever to Run and Ballycasey to be held until Sunday Week.

More and more pointing to Champagne Fever running in the Arkle now!

Back